cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving inbound sms text

dlovestoshare
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Everything else is working including mms and outgoing sms, just no inbound sms text.

Was working just Oct 7th 2018 when I left on a trip to Mexico. I mistakenly purchased an add-on, then another, both incorrectly and thus were refunded recently by Moderator on Oct 13th. Since I have gotten back, Oct 14th, I have not received any inbound text (except mms) and have gone to great lengths to make sure the issue was not on my end. I made searches through the forum and checked everything from APN settings to Network settings and went to the extent of a Factory Reset, but to no avail.

The only other change on my device (galaxy s5 neo) was the install of Facebook's Messenger, which I found in the forum to hijack standard messenger but when checked, the default messenger was still the original and that is why I went to the extent of Factory Reset.

PMs have gone without response from @CS_Agent in attempts to follow up.

Something has gone wrong elsewhere and my thoughts are it happened when the two add-ons were reversed.

Have I missed something?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE & Thank you!!!

21 REPLIES 21

Mkchica
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I escalated to a mod and they have now escalated to their technical team. Hopefully I get an actual working phone service before my month is up??!

dlovestoshare

Well it is very interesting this thread has new life, especially since the last few days I have not been receiving images. I have been receiving texts just fine, just no images via MMS and instead a bubble describing the message size 109KB and an expiry date in 5 days. When I click on the bubble, a popup informs "Failed to download attachment from multimedia message. Try again later." This began on the 20th and is still the same. I tried to send photos as well but to no avail. I know it is just my phone since everyone else is able to share images between each other. I changed nothing in my settings but still checked all the settings as before.

Needless to say, I share your frustration.

I think your best bet is to begin a new thread with as much detail as you can. Answer as many of the redundant, simple questions as you can otherwise you will have those that like to chime in to act smart but do not attend to the issue. Good luck.

Mkchica

No it hasn't worked since Monday, I didn't even know until someone messaged me on Facebook. She had tried to contact me through text.

I have an android Samsung and I've tried all the troubleshooting. Power off/on, checked my phone settings, switch sim to another phone and still have the same issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mkchica wrote:

I have the same issue and I have not travelled anywhere. I'm very frustrated, I just switched to Public november 13 and so far it's been unusable from my number not being ported over properly, then couldn't call, or text....to now everything else is working except receiving SMS. The last issue I had to troubleshoot for the mod and figured out that they had the wrong message centre number ser for my phone.

I'm 10 days into this new provider and so far my phone has worked properly 1 full day!!!

So is it working now?

My spouse couldn't text me yesterday. I wondered if it was the maintenance. Turns out the spouse needed to restart the phone after an update on the phone. It's an iphone. Works now.

Mkchica

I have the same issue and I have not travelled anywhere. I'm very frustrated, I just switched to Public november 13 and so far it's been unusable from my number not being ported over properly, then couldn't call, or text....to now everything else is working except receiving SMS. The last issue I had to troubleshoot for the mod and figured out that they had the wrong message centre number ser for my phone.

I'm 10 days into this new provider and so far my phone has worked properly 1 full day!!!

dlovestoshare

Success!

I received this PM yesterday in response to my original.

"

My name is Kaba and I'm sorry to hear about your incoming texts issue. I'll be glad to assist you with this.

I reviewed your account and I could see no anomalies. However, I refreshed the provisioning and I suggest you reboot the phone then test. If it is still not working, please try popping your SIM card into a different device.

May I ask you if you're unable to receive text messages from a specific number or all number? If it is a specific number, try deleting all the saved SMS from that specific user.

"

I was at work, didnt have my phone on me until 6pm yesterday and had not read her PM yet but started getting them from several people. What a releaf. Better late than never.

Since this seems to be an known issue with the add-ons, moving forward, should policy be implemented to refresh the provisioning following these changes?

GO TEAM!!  🙂

Agree with above.  Likely an issue with the US add on.  It is a known glitch.  Usually it self corrects, but if does not, you will need to wait for moderator.  The wait times are closer to 72+ hours the last few days unfortunately.  

Here is a thread on the issue:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/No-incoming-texts-upon-US-add-on-expiry...

@dlovestoshare wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@dlovestoshare wrote:

My point was I checked ALL the NETWORK SETTINGS.

But thanks for pointing out the obvious and that which has already been pointed out.

Notifications turned off? The texts would still come through.

Blocked? Sure that is a possibility but seriously... from dozens of people on my contacts list?

I hate to be so bitchy but wtf? Where are the @CS_Agent?

When you did the factory reset did you attempt to see if everything was working properly before restoring your back up?

Yes

I assumed it wasn't, the one thing that you can do to confirm that it is not your phone is to try a friends sim that you know works properly. That will tell you if it has anything to do with the phone.

dlovestoshare

@krazykiwi wrote:

@dlovestoshare wrote:

But thanks for pointing out the obvious and that which has already been pointed out.

Blocked? Sure that is a possibility but seriously... from dozens of people on my contacts list?

When you did the factory reset did you attempt to see if everything was working properly before restoring your back up?

Yes

dlovestoshare

@Anonymous wrote:

@dlovestoshare:

Were those any of the US roaming add-ons you mistakenly bought? There's some kind of bug in the system where things get impacted. You would need to contact the mods or wait out the expiry of the add-ons.

Edit: Re-reading...do the add-ons still show in your add-ons area on the overview page?

This seems to be the most likely of all solutions at this point but for what ever reason I cant get a @CS_Agent to even respond to this thread nor the PMs I have sent. Grrrrrr

@dlovestoshare wrote:

dlovestoshare

We don't need to be going through APN settings for an SMS issue.  APN settings do not have anything to do with SMS text messaging.  The SMSC, which was mentioned earlier, is the only relevant network setting for this.

Other possibilities could be that some contacts might mistakenly be in a blocked list or that the text messaging application may have notifications turned off.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous wrote:

@dlovestoshare wrote:

As mentioned, the ALL network settings match...

Message Centre = 16475800172

Access Point = Name Mobile Internet

APN = sp.mb.com

MMSC = http://aliasredirect.net/procy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy = mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS post = 8799

MCC = 302

Mobile virtual network operator type = GID

Mobile Virtual network operator value = 4D

That stuff is for MMS. It looks like things aren't quite right there but that's not your question.

Edit: Right. So we focus on the US one. What exact day did you buy it? And is it on your overview page?

Message Centre is for SMS. Others are APN settings for MMS/data.

So it's an addon problem, if you already messaged the mods then just wait patiently

dlovestoshare

No they do not show in my add-on listings

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlovestoshare wrote:

APN = sp.mb.com

MMS post = 8799

MCC = 302

That stuff is for MMS. It looks like things aren't quite right there but that's not your question.

Edit: Right. So we focus on the US one. What exact day did you buy it? And is it on your overview page?

dlovestoshare

Yes, 

US roaming add-on was one, the other was International call&text

dlovestoshare

APN = sp.mb.com

MMS post = 8799

MCC = 302

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dlovestoshare, add-ons do seem to interfere with sms.  Usually this self corrects on its own when the add-on expires.  You have messaged the moderator team.  They would be able to clear up the issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlovestoshare:

Were those any of the US roaming add-ons you mistakenly bought? There's some kind of bug in the system where things get impacted. You would need to contact the mods or wait out the expiry of the add-ons.

Edit: Re-reading...do the add-ons still show in your add-ons area on the overview page?

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dlovestoshare wrote:

Everything else is working including mms and outgoing sms, just no inbound sms text.

Was working just Oct 7th 2018 when I left on a trip to Mexico. I mistakenly purchased an add-on, then another, both incorrectly and thus were refunded recently by Moderator on Oct 13th. Since I have gotten back, Oct 14th, I have not received any inbound text (except mms) and have gone to great lengths to make sure the issue was not on my end. I made searches through the forum and checked everything from APN settings to Network settings and went to the extent of a Factory Reset, but to no avail.

The only other change on my device (galaxy s5 neo) was the install of Facebook's Messenger, which I found in the forum to hijack standard messenger but when checked, the default messenger was still the original and that is why I went to the extent of Factory Reset.

PMs have gone without response from @CS_Agent in attempts to follow up.

Something has gone wrong elsewhere and my thoughts are it happened when the two add-ons were reversed.

Have I missed something?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE & Thank you!!!

Try checking Messaging Center/Service Center number. If MMS is fine, your APN is fine.

See https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/What-is-Public-Mobile-s-Message-Centre-Nu...

Need Help? Let's chat.