cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving SMS from companies but receiving them from other phones

Greg890
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

ISSUE SOLVED: I CHANGED MY NUMBER TO A 905 AND IT WORKED.

Not receiving SMS from companies but receiving them from other phones.

I have tried several banks, Gmail, etc trying to activate my new number for two step verification but getting no text. I have texted several local phone numbers.

Help!

EDIT: My area code is 647...I guess that must be the issue?

I have not tried putting my SIM into another phone but i have done Iphone resets

8 REPLIES 8

AWESOME, glad you got it working! 👍  Wow, I'm stunned that did the trick, given what @computergeek541  and I figured about the 647 area having been around for quite a while.... guess there's SOMETHING else about that area code that's messed up, other than its' relative age.... wish I could find the other thread(s) that mention problematic area codes.

Yeah, as @computergeek541  mentioned, your area code SHOULDN'T be the problem.... I just mentioned that MAYBE being the issue, because I recall someone else talking about several area codes that cause issues, and ISTR a few of them started with a "6". That's why I tried to find any of the other threads that mentioned that sort of issue, but my search skillz failed me.

Greg890

I tried a different phone, no luck from multiple companies sending me a verification code. I was gonna try to change my area code to 416 but only 437 is available in Toronto at self serve, so I will stick with this 647 and I sent a message to mod for now.

@Greg890 wrote:

Not receiving SMS from companies but receiving them from other phones.

I have tried several banks, Gmail, etc trying to activate my new number for two step verification but getting no text. I have texted several local phone numbers.

Help!

EDIT: My area code is 647...I guess that must be the issue?

I have not tried putting my SIM into another phone but i have done Iphone resets

I very much doubt that the 647 area code is the issue. That has been in use for nearly 20 years. The problem with when text messages are from outside of the same carrier is how there is an intermediary who handles the text messages. When that happen, both parties involved sometimes point the finger at each other.

@Greg890  Done some searching, but can't seem to stumble across the posts in question.... guess my forum search skillz need some work. 😫

In any case, post back here, because I'm sure SOMEONE with more knowledge will have some sage advice....

@Greg890  There's other folks around here with more knowledge on this topic, so yes, do keep this thread updated, and some of the others will pop in sooner or later.

I JUST looked on Google, and according to the blurb I found, 647 was introduced long enough ago that I wouldn't THINK that would be the issue, whereas 672, here in BC(as referenced in that other thread I linked to), was introduced A LOT more recently.

There have been a few other similar threads here in the last couple of weeks, and someone here has listed several area codes that could potentially be a problem. I'll do a little digging, to see if I can find any of them.

Greg890

Thank you Cannon,

My area code is 647...I guess that must be the issue?

I have not tried putting my SIM into another phone but i have done Iphone resets.

Will keep you posted

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@Greg890   Any chance the info in the following thread also pertains to you(pay particular attention to the 6th post from the top):

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Cannot-receive-verification-codes/m-p/483... 

Need Help? Let's chat.