cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not impressed so far

lorvar
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just moved over from Freedom because of new reception issues in my area and it's far worse on Public. LTE is 2 bars to 0, I have to switch my phone preference down to a 4G/3G to get 2-3 bars. Data rates are under 7 both up and down. I tried 2 different phones, same thing. I'm in Hamilton Ontario. Any help would be appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17

@computergeek541 wrote:

@lorvar wrote:

I'm sure I will be happier with not dropping calls in my house as much as Wind/Freedom. The coverage alone is worth it. I headed down to Simcoe/Port Dover and got a $30 roaming fee for a 45 min trip south........

To be fair, Freedom does offer plans now that include roaming anywhere in Canada and the U.S.   I know those plans do cost a little more, but they are available.  Freedom Mobile does have attractive price plans, but the fact remains that their home network is still crap.  I would consider going back to them if the price were right, and/or if the network ever became what I would consider acceptable.

In the case of Public Mobile, there are no roaming charges ever in Canada, so that's always a good thing.

Very well said 

@lorvar wrote:

I'm sure I will be happier with not dropping calls in my house as much as Wind/Freedom. The coverage alone is worth it. I headed down to Simcoe/Port Dover and got a $30 roaming fee for a 45 min trip south........

To be fair, Freedom does offer plans now that include roaming anywhere in Canada and the U.S.   I know those plans do cost a little more, but they are available.  Freedom Mobile does have attractive price plans, but the fact remains that their home network is still crap.  I would consider going back to them if the price were right, and/or if the network ever became what I would consider acceptable.

In the case of Public Mobile, there are no roaming charges ever in Canada, so that's always a good thing.

lorvar

Yes, yes it is......lol

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow. $30 roaming fee for going to Port Dover!!

That's insane. 

lorvar

@lorvar wrote:

I'm using Android. I have a Sony Xperia XA Ultra. I just went for a drive and reception is spotty. LTE is weak and 4G is 3-4 bars in random places.Speed on LTE was 20mb on Full bars while I parked, no more

In my office at the moment, my signal strength is 28 asu.  Speed test 16 ms ping, 22 mbit down, 2.6 mbit up.  This is kind of typical.  If I go to a different part of the building, I get the 3G connection with speeds about half of this or less.  At the end of the day, it is still plenty good for me to consume 2-3 gigs over a month. If this was my home internet, it would be grossly inadequate because I consume about 1000 times the data.

Freedom has a tower right outside my office window.  The signal strength is off the chart high.  Latency is off the chart slow with data time outs.  This is why I left Wind after over 4 years of suffering hoping tomorrow would be better than the day before. 

lorvar

I'm using Android. I have a Sony Xperia XA Ultra. I just went for a drive and reception is spotty. LTE is weak and 4G is 3-4 bars in random places.Speed on LTE was 20mb on Full bars while I parked, no more

clarkbrand

Is there someone you could compare with who uses another phone/same phone and the same network (telus). it seems strange that both have a hole in the same place but I'm sure it's happened before

Agreed. Specially if op using freedom locked phone after unlocking. Some Samsung's need tweak on network setting by going service menu. When I bring my s6 edge plus was originally freedom phone but unlocked, I was hading issues with that untill I fix the service menu and csc change to koodo.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Acekiller

Could it be your phone by any chance?

I am in Hamilton pretty much full bar most of the time with 60 plus mb speed. Apn have nothing to do with speed. Are you using android or ios
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Folks, APN does not affect signal strength, just connectivity.  Wrong APN means no data, period.  As for coverage holes, all carriers have them.  Sometimes, one carrier is superior to another at certain specific locations.  At one of my favorite restaurants in Markham, Public Mobile is on 3G with 2 bars, Rogers provides 4 bar LTE.  Either way, the data flow is sufficient to allow for a usable experience.  If one wants to be a speed junkie, then there will never be satisfaction.  Just keep in mind, we are trying to use up a few gigs over a 30 day period, not in 2 minutes.  As for comparing Freedom to Public Mobile, don't bother, it is apples to oranges, coverage holes excepted.  

@lorvar some phones have APN settings auto update. I remember when I switched to wind about a year ago i had to manually change all my APN settings, but when i went back to koodo all of my settings updated automatically. Now im here and still didnt need to change any of my settings  

YES, you must enter the APN information in your phone, or at a minimum, ensure it's correct as the majority of phones do not autoset to Public Mobile's settings.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-Up-Data-On-Your-Phone/ta-p/26

lorvar

I'm on the mountain. Did you enter any APN info into your phone? I wasn't sure if this was necessary. Never had to before. Thanks everyone.

Pier

@lorvar,

You may have one bar and the service is perfect and even better than when you have a full bar. Check only if the fact of having two bars can affect your ougoing and incoming calls. 

Yours,

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I wonder if you're experiencing problems indoors or out, and whether you're in the downtown, or on the mountain.

I'm down the highway in Brantford, and the higher the elevation, I find the singals better.  I work, and I live in buildings that are not great for LTE service, but I do get (most of the time) 2-3 bars of HSPA+ ??? 

I was with WIND before, and had less that little service at home and work.  Public Mobile was the answer for me.

When I'm driving, my cell shows strong signal on LTE.

I don't have a specified preference set in my Nexus 5, I just let it do the choosing for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.