cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to receive incoming calls and texts

EmilyWuj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just started my plan with Public mobile on December 30, 2018. 

I can make outgoing calls and texts but not receive any incoming calls and texts.  

How can this be fixed ASAP?

19 REPLIES 19

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I have my voicemail set up.

I just checked my menu and my DND isn't set up. 

Ok, great.  So if you call your PM number now, does it go to voicemail, or do you still get immediately dropped after the 3 tones?

If it's still the 3 tones, then my suspicion would be a provisioning issue... since you're already in queue with the mods, they may have to take over with a resolution to this since it's beyond anything we can do.

The results of your testing the SIM card in another phone may shed a bit more light or further reaffirm conclusions here.

EmilyWuj

Ok so I just tried a hard reboot, and installing the newest iOS software update on my phone, and I'm still having the same problem.

EmilyWuj

@CalgaryBen

Yes, I was on Wifi when I was trying to set up my WhatsApp.  

I have my voicemail set up.

I just checked my menu and my DND isn't set up.  

I'll try a hard reboot and see what happens. 

I have another phone I can try my SIM card in, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work to try it.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@EmilyWuj for WhatsApp to work, you need a data connection.  Since your plan doesn't include any mobile data, are you connected to a WiFi network?

EDIT: @CalgaryBen posted while I was still reading and replying.  His reply above has much more info than this.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CalgaryBen

@EmilyWuj wrote:

The senders were not using iMessage, one of them was actually WhatsApp as I'm trying to get that set up on my new number for work. 

I tried the Lost/Stolen phone service suspension and it's still giving me the three tones.

Note that WhatsApp is still dependent on data and is not a true SMS application.  When you specify someone's phone number in WhatsApp, this is just an identifier -- all messaging still relies on a data connection -- and given your plan (no cell data), you'll have to be on WiFi.

Are you able to set up your voice mailbox?  I just want to rule out the 3 tones being a "no service" response versus a no-answer/DND condition.  You can set up your VM by tapping the Voicemail icon in the bottom right corner of the phone dialer.  If you're doing this for the first time, it'll prompt you for a PIN, and to say your name, etc.  It will use up some of your airtime, so if this is undesirable, we can look at ways to do it using your local VM dial-up number (I'll admit I've never set up a VM this way, so not sure if it works).

I don't suspect you have DND (do not disturb) enable based on what I know/gather, but just for good measure, flick up from the bottom of the screen to bring up your Control Center, and make sure the "moon" button (DND) is not enabled/selected.  Mind you, DND only applies when the phone is locked, hence my thinking this isn't at play here.

The other thing to try, if you haven't already, is a hard reboot of your phone.

Do you happen to have another phone you can try the SIM card in?

EmilyWuj

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I did get a welcome message and it provided me with a PIN and a code.  I used those to register my account online.  

I tried sending the email, and it worked, I did get a message from 999-999-9999 

Okay, good, so this means you are able to receive text messages.  In the case where you're not receiving messages, perhaps the sender is using iMessage, and you're not effectively receiving these (due to no data connection, as your $10/30 day plan does not have cellular data); are you connecting your phone to WiFi, and are you failing to receive iMessages 

@EmilyWuj wrote:

When someone else calls me there's a really loud "BEEP BEEP BEEP" 

This is generally an activation/provisioning issue.  Log into your self-serve account, and then click on "Plans and Add-Ons", and select "Lost/Stolen Phone".  Click on the "Suspend Service" button, then "Confirm".  Wait a couple minutes, then click on "Resume Service" and "Confirm".  Try calling your phone again to see if it still drops and gives the 3 tones.

The senders were not using iMessage, one of them was actually WhatsApp as I'm trying to get that set up on my new number for work. 

I tried the Lost/Stolen phone service suspension and it's still giving me the three tones.

CalgaryBen

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I did get a welcome message and it provided me with a PIN and a code.  I used those to register my account online.  

Okay, good, so this means you are able to receive text messages.  In the case where you're not receiving messages, perhaps the sender is using iMessage, and you're not effectively receiving these (due to no data connection, as your $10/30 day plan does not have cellular data); are you connecting your phone to WiFi, and are you failing to receive iMessages?

@EmilyWuj wrote:

This is generally an activation/provisioning issue.  Log into your self-serve account, and then click on "Plans and Add-Ons", and select "Lost/Stolen Phone".  Click on the "Suspend Service" button, then "Confirm".  Wait a couple minutes, then click on "Resume Service" and "Confirm".  Try calling your phone again to see if it still drops and gives the 3 tones.

EmilyWuj

EmilyWuj

I'm using an iPhone 6S

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I can make outgoing calls and texts but not receive any incoming calls and texts.  

What kind of phone are you using?

Did you get any text message, such as the one from 100 or 611, welcoming you to PM or providing your initial PIN?  You can also try sending yourself an SMS via e-mail -- send a plain/blank e-mail to ##########@msg.telus.com (inserting your PM number where the #s are, of course) with a simple identifying subject/body as a test, and you should receive a message from (999) 999-9999.

What happens when someone calls your PM phone number?  Do they get a "not in service" message, do they get your voice mail, do they get dropped immediately, or something else?

CalgaryBen

@EmilyWuj wrote:

What kind of phone are you using?

Did you get any text message, such as the one from 100 or 611, welcoming you to PM or providing your initial PIN?  You can also try sending yourself an SMS via e-mail -- send a plain/blank e-mail to ##########@msg.telus.com (inserting your PM number where the #s are, of course) with a simple identifying subject/body as a test, and you should receive a message from (999) 999-9999.

What happens when someone calls your PM phone number?  Do they get a "not in service" message, do they get your voice mail, do they get dropped immediately, or something else?

EmilyWuj

@mh1983 wrote:

Hope you get the issue resolved. Out of curiosity, what plan do you have?

I just have the basic $10/mo call & text plan. 

I got it just for work.

EmilyWuj

@ksoosiah wrote:

@EmilyWuj Also facing the exact same problems as you and I joined Dec 31st. Currently dealing with Mods to resolve this. As others have stated, privately message Mods but keep in mind initial response time of up to 72 hours. 

Thanks, sorry you're dealing with this too.  I PM'd the mods last night.

mh1983

Hope you get the issue resolved. Out of curiosity, what plan do you have?

ksoosiah

@EmilyWuj Also facing the exact same problems as you and I joined Dec 31st. Currently dealing with Mods to resolve this. As others have stated, privately message Mods but keep in mind initial response time of up to 72 hours. 

If you didnt port in and using your new number at public mobile.   Try on another phone while waiting for mod to reply.  

cin7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@EmilyWuj

Ditto to everyone's replies. Send a private message to the Moderator Team and they can look into your issue.

One more thing to note is that when your phone number ports successfully, you can expect to receive a confirmation text message.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EmilyWuj wrote:

My phone number is new to my account, I didn't transfer my old phone number to my Public mobile account.    

If that's the case, then Something is wrong at the account level.  you could try the lost/found phone trick - Log into self serve, report the phone lost/stolen. Log out of self serve.  Wait a few minutes.  Log back in and report the phone found.  Sometimes this clears up strange issue.  However, if that doesn't work, you will likely need to contact the moderator team for assistance.  If you need to do so...

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

Note that response time is about 2-3 days.

EmilyWuj

My phone number is new to my account, I didn't transfer my old phone number to my Public mobile account.    

@computergeek541 wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

First off, if this an issue specific to your account, it cannot be fixed by posting a message here.  Anything that is account related must be dealt with a moderator who are Public Mobile employees.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

From what I read around here, it's taking them a couple of days to respond to customer inquiries.

Did you request a phone number to be transfered over to Public Mobile.  If you did, what you describe is normal.  However, if the phone number is coming from another wireless carrier, the phone number transfer should be completed within a few hours. Since it has been more than a few hours things haven't been completed, this usually means that the request failed.

Until such time that your phone number has been transfered to Public Mobile, all incoming communications will continue to be routed to the service of the old carrier.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

First off, if this an issue specific to your account, it cannot be fixed by posting a message here.  Anything that is account related must be dealt with a moderator who are Public Mobile employees.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

From what I read around here, it's taking them a couple of days to respond to customer inquiries.

Did you request a phone number to be transfered over to Public Mobile.  If you did, what you describe is normal.  However, if the phone number is coming from another wireless carrier, the phone number transfer should be completed within a few hours. Since it has been more than a few hours things haven't been completed, this usually means that the request failed.

Until such time that your phone number has been transfered to Public Mobile, all incoming communications will continue to be routed to the service of the old carrier.

@EmilyWuj wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.