cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


@EmilyWuj wrote:

I can make outgoing calls and texts but not receive any incoming calls and texts.  

What kind of phone are you using?

 

Did you get any text message, such as the one from 100 or 611, welcoming you to PM or providing your initial PIN?  You can also try sending yourself an SMS via e-mail -- send a plain/blank e-mail to ##########@msg.telus.com (inserting your PM number where the #s are, of course) with a simple identifying subject/body as a test, and you should receive a message from (999) 999-9999.

 

What happens when someone calls your PM phone number?  Do they get a "not in service" message, do they get your voice mail, do they get dropped immediately, or something else?

 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


I'm using an iPhone 6S

 

I did get a welcome message and it provided me with a PIN and a code.  I used those to register my account online.  

 

When someone else calls me there's a really loud "BEEP BEEP BEEP" 

 

 

@CalgaryBen wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I can make outgoing calls and texts but not receive any incoming calls and texts.  

What kind of phone are you using?

 

Did you get any text message, such as the one from 100 or 611, welcoming you to PM or providing your initial PIN?  You can also try sending yourself an SMS via e-mail -- send a plain/blank e-mail to ##########@msg.telus.com (inserting your PM number where the #s are, of course) with a simple identifying subject/body as a test, and you should receive a message from (999) 999-9999.

 

What happens when someone calls your PM phone number?  Do they get a "not in service" message, do they get your voice mail, do they get dropped immediately, or something else?

 


 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts

I tried sending the email, and it worked, I did get a message from 999-999-9999

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


@EmilyWuj wrote:

I did get a welcome message and it provided me with a PIN and a code.  I used those to register my account online.  

I tried sending the email, and it worked, I did get a message from 999-999-9999 


Okay, good, so this means you are able to receive text messages.  In the case where you're not receiving messages, perhaps the sender is using iMessage, and you're not effectively receiving these (due to no data connection, as your $10/30 day plan does not have cellular data); are you connecting your phone to WiFi, and are you failing to receive iMessages?

 

@EmilyWuj wrote:

When someone else calls me there's a really loud "BEEP BEEP BEEP" 

This is generally an activation/provisioning issue.  Log into your self-serve account, and then click on "Plans and Add-Ons", and select "Lost/Stolen Phone".  Click on the "Suspend Service" button, then "Confirm".  Wait a couple minutes, then click on "Resume Service" and "Confirm".  Try calling your phone again to see if it still drops and gives the 3 tones.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


@CalgaryBen wrote:

@EmilyWuj wrote:

I did get a welcome message and it provided me with a PIN and a code.  I used those to register my account online.  

I tried sending the email, and it worked, I did get a message from 999-999-9999 


Okay, good, so this means you are able to receive text messages.  In the case where you're not receiving messages, perhaps the sender is using iMessage, and you're not effectively receiving these (due to no data connection, as your $10/30 day plan does not have cellular data); are you connecting your phone to WiFi, and are you failing to receive iMessages 

 

 

@EmilyWuj wrote:

When someone else calls me there's a really loud "BEEP BEEP BEEP" 

This is generally an activation/provisioning issue.  Log into your self-serve account, and then click on "Plans and Add-Ons", and select "Lost/Stolen Phone".  Click on the "Suspend Service" button, then "Confirm".  Wait a couple minutes, then click on "Resume Service" and "Confirm".  Try calling your phone again to see if it still drops and gives the 3 tones.


The senders were not using iMessage, one of them was actually WhatsApp as I'm trying to get that set up on my new number for work. 

 

I tried the Lost/Stolen phone service suspension and it's still giving me the three tones.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


@EmilyWuj wrote:

The senders were not using iMessage, one of them was actually WhatsApp as I'm trying to get that set up on my new number for work. 

 

I tried the Lost/Stolen phone service suspension and it's still giving me the three tones.


Note that WhatsApp is still dependent on data and is not a true SMS application.  When you specify someone's phone number in WhatsApp, this is just an identifier -- all messaging still relies on a data connection -- and given your plan (no cell data), you'll have to be on WiFi.

 

Are you able to set up your voice mailbox?  I just want to rule out the 3 tones being a "no service" response versus a no-answer/DND condition.  You can set up your VM by tapping the Voicemail icon in the bottom right corner of the phone dialer.  If you're doing this for the first time, it'll prompt you for a PIN, and to say your name, etc.  It will use up some of your airtime, so if this is undesirable, we can look at ways to do it using your local VM dial-up number (I'll admit I've never set up a VM this way, so not sure if it works).

 

I don't suspect you have DND (do not disturb) enable based on what I know/gather, but just for good measure, flick up from the bottom of the screen to bring up your Control Center, and make sure the "moon" button (DND) is not enabled/selected.  Mind you, DND only applies when the phone is locked, hence my thinking this isn't at play here.

 

The other thing to try, if you haven't already, is a hard reboot of your phone.

 

Do you happen to have another phone you can try the SIM card in?

Mayor / Maire

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts

@EmilyWuj for WhatsApp to work, you need a data connection.  Since your plan doesn't include any mobile data, are you connected to a WiFi network?

 

EDIT: @CalgaryBen posted while I was still reading and replying.  His reply above has much more info than this.  Smiley Happy


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts

@CalgaryBen

Yes, I was on Wifi when I was trying to set up my WhatsApp.  

 

I have my voicemail set up.

 

I just checked my menu and my DND isn't set up.  

 

I'll try a hard reboot and see what happens. 

 

I have another phone I can try my SIM card in, but I'll have to wait until I get home from work to try it.  

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts

Ok so I just tried a hard reboot, and installing the newest iOS software update on my phone, and I'm still having the same problem.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Not able to receive incoming calls and texts


@EmilyWuj wrote:

I have my voicemail set up.

I just checked my menu and my DND isn't set up. 

Ok, great.  So if you call your PM number now, does it go to voicemail, or do you still get immediately dropped after the 3 tones?

 

If it's still the 3 tones, then my suspicion would be a provisioning issue... since you're already in queue with the mods, they may have to take over with a resolution to this since it's beyond anything we can do.

 

The results of your testing the SIM card in another phone may shed a bit more light or further reaffirm conclusions here.