cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

North of Kingston, On Network Access

bastage
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Any users living north of Kingston, Jones Falls / Elgin area? I'm in a marginal coverage area with Bell, but for the most part things work as well as can be expected... monthly service price just too much... I would like to move to this 4Gb/$40 month plan -- but before making the move, just want to see how the network access is for this area...

Best regards,

6 REPLIES 6

bastage

thanks for all the replies... I've orderd a SIM and will activatge a 10-day plan and see what shakes out... fingers cross!

and I will check out the CostCo booster too...

Best regards,

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @bastage;

Yeah, don't trust those coverage maps, Eastern Ontario is fully of holes that don't really show there. I drive the Kingston - Ottawa trip a far bit, and it is normal to lose coverage for a bit on the 10 on either side of Westport (but not Westport itself). Closer to Kingston and Perth it is better. My brother-in-law (close to Franktown) had a similar situation to you and could only get reception in a certain spot in his kitchen, we ended up installing an in-home signal booster (Costco) so he could finally get rid of his Bell land-line, switched him over to PM 🙂

Anyway, as already mentioned, Bell and Telus share towers for most of this area, so reception will likely be the same. Best thing to do is get a 10 day plan to check it out, that will still give you time to get on this promo if you decide it is acceptable.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was in Kingston, ON a few weeks ago and service was fine (if that helps)?

bastage

I checked the coverage map out already... pretty picture... I'm looking for some actual user experience in this coverage area... my current carrier (bell) also shows a pretty picture for their coverage map showing full LTE/4G coverage for my area... from my experience, I am in a marginal coverage area, so I connect/disconnect from the bell netowrk quite often... unless I place the phone in a particular area in my kitchen... 🙂 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @bastage,

According to this coverage mape (https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage), the areas you mention are within PM's coverage.  You can expect a good service.  

I think Bell and Telus share network towers so you can expect at least similar coverage to what you have right now with Bell.  Also, if there is a Telus store near you, check their coverage in your local area and thats the same reception you will get with PM.  

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi,

You'll have excellent coverage in your area.

You can verify that on this coverage map if you are curious for yourself.

Cheers,

Neil

Need Help? Let's chat.