cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob Question (blush)

lfaber
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am just test driving the service. So far so good.

Some Noob questions.....

I am wondering what happens when:

1. I run out of talk minutes on my plan
  2. I run out of data on my plan
  3. I run out of text messages on my plan
  4. I am in the States and try and make a call when I don't have a plan

Thanks for any and all input!

Smiley Happy

13 REPLIES 13

Anna_M
Customer Support Agent

@lfaber

If you're in the US and the add-on runs out, yes, it's best to find a free Wi-Fi location, go onto your Self Serve account and see what option you'd like to add next.

Also please make sure that your Canadian base plan is active since the US add-on will not work without it.

Here's a link for all the info regarding our US Roaming options:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883

@lfaber wrote:

Thanks Anna,

I am coming from a world of being charged for stuff I do not use. So this is rather refreshing for me to hear. And have been burned (badly) with overages in the past.

So..... if I am in the US and run out of 'whatever', do I need to find a McDonalds (or whatnot), hop on Wifi, and refill whatever bucket is empty? Or will I be able to dial *611 from there and do what needs doing?

Thanks!

You can try the 611..or yes you will need wifi for charging click in your self serve account and put money first  and choose an US roaming add-on like that...

US Roaming6

For 10 Days

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle

Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.

$20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle

Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.

$15
U.S. Talk Only

Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.

$8
U.S. Text Only

Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.

$8
U.S. Data Only

250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days.

From $10

As long as your base plan is active, you can get a US Roaming add-on. It'll be good for 10 days only. I've done it from Walmart in USA...works good.

Remember...your base plan only works whilst you're in Canada. You'll need the discussed Add-on for service while in USA.

lfaber

Thanks Anna,

I am coming from a world of being charged for stuff I do not use. So this is rather refreshing for me to hear. And have been burned (badly) with overages in the past.

So..... if I am in the US and run out of 'whatever', do I need to find a McDonalds (or whatnot), hop on Wifi, and refill whatever bucket is empty? Or will I be able to dial *611 from there and do what needs doing?

Thanks!

Anna_M
Customer Support Agent

Hello @lfaber,

Thanks for reaching out!

It's not a bad question and I'm glad you reached our Community for help. 😄

Public Mobile is a prepaid service so when you run out of any option on your plan it will just not work anymore since the bucket is now empty. If you don't wanna wait until the renewal date you can always top-up.

We do offer text notifications for data when it's almost out and you can always check your usage either on Self Serve or by dialing *611 from your Public Mobile phone.

To put it in short, since it's prepaid you only use what you pay for and you can never get extra charges for going over since it will not let you go over.

Hope this covered everything!

Anna,
Public Mobile Moderator

@lfaber wrote:

Thanks @ stonechucker,

Follow on ?:  Do you get a text (or email) saying that you have (or will be) running out of 'whatever'? Or do things just stop working?

Yes you will have a text to let you know when you will be 75%  calls..And you can see your usage on the first page in your self serve account or more precisely click on the tab PLAN/ADD-ONS and USAGE HISTORY .

@lfaber, you can see your usage levels in the My Account area, on the Overview page.

For data use, there is a 75% and 95% SMS warning.  I'm currently unsure of warning messages on talk and SMS usage, as I'm on unlimited talk and SMS.

As others have mentioned, things just stop working when they run out, and the usage on the Overview page also is removed when the consumption has been made full.

@lfaberYou will get a text shortly before you run out warning you your almost at your limit.

lfaber

Thanks @ stonechucker,

Follow on ?:  Do you get a text (or email) saying that you have (or will be) running out of 'whatever'? Or do things just stop working?

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@lfaber wrote:

Some Noob questions.....

Smiley Happy

1.If you have the 10$ plan and you used all your minutes...you will not be able to call or receive one until the renewal of your plan..but you can text if you have some more outgoing (from the 50) or you can still receive incoming text.

2.If you run all your data you will not be able to use it...but you will be able to text or call

3.If you have the 10$ plan you will receive incoming text and you can call if you have some left minutes (50 minutes)

4.If you are in Sates and don't have US roaming add-on you will not be able to call...

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber  Never worry about asking questions Smiley Very Happy  If you run out of minutes/texts/data you just can't use it anymore until your plan renewal date, you will never have overage charges. If you go to the US and don't have a US addon you won't be able to make a call/text. Everything is prepaid, if you haven't bought it you can't use it.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber wrote:

Some Noob questions.....

Smiley Happy

Good questions indeed. (You'll never be charged extra...once you run out...plan stops)

#1...your talk stops until plan is topped up

#2...data stops until plan is topped up

#3...text stops until plan is topped up

#4...once your plan is active again, you can get a USA Roaming package...have a look at Add-ons for a menu of your options.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber, in all 4 situations, nothing happens.  No calls, no text, no data, no US access (other than SMS incoming).

You would need to pay additional funds to get add-ons (none available for domestic texting) to use any further service in these cases.

Need Help? Let's chat.