cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network No bars AGAIN

jlangdale
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had this problem a few days ago, and a few weeks ago. My network coverage flips on/off repeatedly. I go from 3 bars to an X symbol. Someone suggested my SIM card wasn't seated right, so I re-inserted my SIM card and that seemed to fix the problem for several days. Now the problem is returned just as it was before.

I tried inserting a Bell SIM card and my phone works fine. When I put back in my PM SIM card, I have the same problem. So either my PM SIM is messed up, or the PM/Tellus network is behaving oddly.

21 REPLIES 21

tqlam

It seems the issue is gone after two days.  And I didn't do anything with the phone.  Perhaps it was network issue.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

No I'm in Alberta but I could see areas not near a town or city having worse coverage. I remember when we first moved out of the city the coverage was really spotty.

To improve your signal try selecting 3G most phone will automatically switch from LTE when the signal is bad. 

You could try buying a cell phone booster 

Psygineer

I've been having this issue a lot. Are you in Northwestern Ontario? I was told it is par for the course in this area. I've gotten used to it, but it does definitely suck that I often lose my connection. So far no dropped calls, but I am expecting that to happen. I have warned the people I work with, friends and family that it might happen and to just call me back a couple minutes later. Not a good solution, but they said they were looking into it a couple of weeks ago. I have not heard back yet though.

jp2

If you lose LTE connection it will automatically switch to 3G also anytime you make a call it will switch to 3G.

It's unlikely a sim issue unless it's happening everywhere. If you test the sim in another phone but are in the same area it could still be the tower not necessarily the sim. If it works fine in the other phone and same area then it's the phone. 

Try getting a Telus experience app to report your issues. If they get multiple problems in the same area they will investigate. 

jlangdale

@tqlam

Where are you? I'm by lle-Bizard, west island of Montreal.

jlangdale

@tqlam

Not really. It still happens, usually when I left my phone by the bedside and have it charging while it's off. When I turn it on the in the morning, I get no network access. Sometimes it flips back and forth. Once it gets online consistently, it stays on all day usually. I usually only notice this in the morning at home.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's my PM SIM card. Haven't decided to buy another one and try switching. I want to try putting my PM card in another phone and trying that. I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll probaby test that on Sunday when I'm back from camping.

tqlam

Have your network issue resolved?  

My wife and I have been seeing NO SERVICE in the last two days.   The network bar on the phone keeps switching between PM, TELUS and NO SERVICE, when it's back to PM network, it only shows 3G.  I walked around outside my area, even the network show LTE, but only one bar.   We have been PM with PM in two years and we didn't see this network problem before.

jlangdale

I have a Samsung Note 5 that was unlocked from Verizon. I've never seen that it connects on 3G. It's only ever said 4G or "H" with the bars. I don't seem to have an option for 3G? Maybe LTE is dropping and 3G doesn't work so I get nothing?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

At work, Bellus coverage is on the weak side.  I find the signal jumps around when connected to LTE-A.  I don't see how changing the SIM cards will fix this condition. 

jlangdale

Good ideas, Robert. It could very well be humidity because my phone has been working all day now. It was only this morning that it was doing the on/off network thing. Very hard to troubleshoot thing because it's not a consistent problem and it's never presented with another SIM card.

(a little bit of fun) you could test your humidity theory by placing the phone above a warm bucket of water and monitor network stability / signal then do the same test but put the phone in the fridge where there will be no humidity ...

@jlangdaleDefinitly give it a shot, let us know how it goes. Sim cards are right around the corner to be purchased in person be set up yourself with the my self account page 🙂

jlangdale

Putting the PM card in another phone when the proble occurs again is a good idea to try, as long as the other phone isn't an iPhone.

jlangdale

Nope never got wet and never used it in the rain. But it's been pretty humid before the thunderstorms that blew through last evening.

@jlangdale wrote:

Under my account page, I don't see where there's an option to switch to a new SIM card & keep my number, etc.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/change-sim-card/

in my account

click plans / add ons

click change sim card

@jlangdale wrote:

So now after letting my phone sit there for a while with no network no bars, it has now connected to Public Mobile again with 2-3 bars 4G LTE and hasn't dropped the connection in the past few minutes.

I'm wondering if rain affects network converage and if there would be a difference between Tellus & Bell coverage. This problem usually seems to occur after big rain storms.

typically when rain effects things its because of humidity in the air after the rain which is related to electrical contacts such as the pins between your sim card and device ... unless your device got wet?

jlangdale

Under my account page, I don't see where there's an option to switch to a new SIM card & keep my number, etc.

jlangdale

So now after letting my phone sit there for a while with no network no bars, it has now connected to Public Mobile again with 2-3 bars 4G LTE and hasn't dropped the connection in the past few minutes.

I'm wondering if rain affects network converage and if there would be a difference between Tellus & Bell coverage. This problem usually seems to occur after big rain storms.

@jlangdale wrote:

Yeah, I would agree that a new SIM is the likely fix. But getting a new SIM & havng it linked to my account sounds like a super-fun no-hassle thing to go through.

@jlangdaleIt is actually extremely easy you can get one at walmart or a few other stores and do the switch on my account https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/change-sim-card/

Depending on how much of a rush you someone may chime into the process how to receive a free one as a replacement if possible, can also contact @CS_Agent to see if they can give you one (might have to be mailed) or a credit for one if you get one at the store

jlangdale

Yeah, I would agree that a new SIM is the likely fix. But getting a new SIM & havng it linked to my account sounds like a super-fun no-hassle thing to go through.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@jlangdale wrote:

I had this problem a few days ago, and a few weeks ago. My network coverage flips on/off repeatedly. I go from 3 bars to an X symbol. Someone suggested my SIM card wasn't seated right, so I re-inserted my SIM card and that seemed to fix the problem for several days. Now the problem is returned just as it was before.

I tried inserting a Bell SIM card and my phone works fine. When I put back in my PM SIM card, I have the same problem. So either my PM SIM is messed up, or the PM/Tellus network is behaving oddly.

Based on your own tests of re-inserting the PM sim card resolving the issue it does sound like you need a new sim while it is not common for them to fail, have you tried inserting the PM card in another phone? In the past I have a free replacement sim card from Koodo, not sure if you will have to pay the $10 for "defective / replacement" but if it was me I would be willing to spend the $10 if I had to just to find out.

Anyone else can chime in if PM gives free "replacement" for "defective" sim cards?

Need Help? Let's chat.