cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No longer have Public mobile APN on my Asus Zenfone 4 max after factory reset

Topcat74680
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Had to do a factory reset and no longer have Public Mobile APN. ONLY TELUS and KOODO!

There is no way to add another APN manually. Android 8.1. Before update adding or modifying the APN was possible. Help pls.

7 REPLIES 7

jesusisgod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

join the crowd .i returnrd the phone 

Once a while, manufactuer will put some bad codes in the phone.  

Hope they get it fix.  

@kazoo wrote:

The APK at that redflagdeals link worked for me on an Asus Zenfone 4 Max. This lack of APN add function with Android 8 has caused headaches for people around the world. The global Asus forum has loads of people losing service due to this.

In the past month, I've moved two BLU phones and two Samsung phones over to PM, all with Android less than 8 and all without problems. 

Specifically, it's just Android 8.1.  To my knowledge, the ability to change or add APN settings was disabled in stock Google images. 

However, that that does not stop phone manufacturers from changing the software to fix this issue.  I know for a fact that some phone manufactuers have re-enabled the ability to at least at new APN settings for devices to be sold within Canada.  Neither Motorola nor Samsung device owners running Android 8.1 on Canadian variants of devices will run into any problems as the devices that I've used allow the customer to add new settings.

@slash407 wrote:

@Topcat74680 wrote:
Had to do a factory reset and no longer have Public Mobile APN. ONLY TELUS and KOODO!

There is no way to add another APN manually. Android 8.1. Before update adding or modifying the APN was possible. Help pls.

this is f'n nuts, PM needs to upgrade this crap, way to much problems like this being one. Geez. Who knows how many people are getting screwed with this apn crap that doesnt work half the time.

This is all on the phone manufactuers.  This issue has nothing to do with Public Mobile and the phone manufacturers are the ones who have incldued software on the phones that do not allow APN settings to be changed.  There isn't anything for Public Mobile to update.

But yeah, it is a load of crap, espeically if you're stuck with one of these devices.

kazoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The APK at that redflagdeals link worked for me on an Asus Zenfone 4 Max. This lack of APN add function with Android 8 has caused headaches for people around the world. The global Asus forum has loads of people losing service due to this.

In the past month, I've moved two BLU phones and two Samsung phones over to PM, all with Android less than 8 and all without problems. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@Topcat74680 wrote:

This is an Android 8.1 problem.

One way to deal with it: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/solved-fido-apn-miui-10-cant-add-apn-2239645/#p30122708 (Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself. But have seen several reports that it works.)

Other people have had success putting a Freedom SIM in, which seemed to have allowed them to add a new APN, fill in Public Mobile settings, reboot. Put Public Mobile SIM in.

(I think... For me playing with an active SpeakOut SIM eventually populated the Public Mobile APN settings, but I didn't write down the exact steps, sorry.) YMMV.

Edit: Found the post https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/m-p/289974/h... in the big Android 8.1 APN thread: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Android-8-1-APN-settings/td-p/241715

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Topcat74680 wrote:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com 
Proxy: Leave blank 
Port: Leave blank 
Username: Leave blank 
Password: Leave blank 
Server: Leave blank 
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc 
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18 
MMS port: 80 
MCC: 302 
MNC: 220