cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming calls.

hfrancis
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I've checked the messages and responses from some other members on here who had similar problems, but many of them appear to be porting issues or have registration/service matters that are either incomplete or incorrect. Those problems don't apply to me. The following is a copy of the PM I sent to the moderator. I know it can take time to hear back from them, so perhaps someone can address this sooner:

Hello,

I'm new with Public Mobile. I'm not receiving calls on my phone and I'm not sure why and how to correct the issue. Here are some details that may help you diagnose the problem:

1) I registered with a new number that I chose on this site (not a ported number from another provider)

2) I am able make outgoing calls and text

3) The airplane mode is not activated

4) My previous service provider was China Unicom. I removed that sim and my new one (provided by Public Mobile) has been in my phone since.

5) I have an unlocked Galaxy S6 Edge that I purchased in South Korea. According to your site the IMEI of my phone is compatible with your network.

6) A call from my landline DID go through to my cell when I tested it on my first day with Public Mobile, but since then I have had no incoming calls and two individuals tell me that their calls have gone directly to my voicemail. I did, in fact, receive one of the voicemails so that appears to be working.

7) There is no caller ID or "missed call" notification that I have received any of those calls.

If you need any further information, let me know. Obviously I want to get this fixed as soon as possible. Many thanks.

28 REPLIES 28

hfrancis

@Anonymous  Point taken. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hfrancis wrote:

Thanks to all who helped with this issue. I finally had a chance to use my sim in another device and it appears to work just fine. So, the problem is with my phone. I plan on resetting it and trying that. That should work and if it doesn't then I'll buy a new phone. I'm going to close this thread now and "accept as solution". Thanks again.

This isn't really a "close thread" kind of forum. Even the first reply to your OP suggests compatibility. Maybe it should be the solution rather than your "close thread" (which isn't a thing here)?

hfrancis

Thanks to all who helped with this issue. I finally had a chance to use my sim in another device and it appears to work just fine. So, the problem is with my phone. I plan on resetting it and trying that. That should work and if it doesn't then I'll buy a new phone. I'm going to close this thread now and "accept as solution". Thanks again.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@hfrancis wrote:

@sandpublicThanks for that but, the call settings menu on my phone is different than the images in your link. I think the interface for Galaxy phones purchased for use in Korea (even after setting the default language to English) is slightly different than the one for use in Galaxies in North America; at least the Galaxy S6's, because there is no call forwarding feature anywhere to be found, or nothing even related to it. I've went over all of the settings carefully. Other settings are different as well. There is an "Answering and ending calls" selection and within that there is an "Automatic answering" function which is disabled. Anyway, I do appreciate the link though. At this point I think it's going to take a reset to fix this problem. If that doesn't work then a new phone I guess.

Yes, I agree hopefully a reset wll fix it. Good luck!!

hfrancis

@sandpublicThanks for that but, the call settings menu on my phone is different than the images in your link. I think the interface for Galaxy phones purchased for use in Korea (even after setting the default language to English) is slightly different than the one for use in Galaxies in North America; at least the Galaxy S6's, because there is no call forwarding feature anywhere to be found, or nothing even related to it. I've went over all of the settings carefully. Other settings are different as well. There is an "Answering and ending calls" selection and within that there is an "Automatic answering" function which is disabled. Anyway, I do appreciate the link though. At this point I think it's going to take a reset to fix this problem. If that doesn't work then a new phone I guess.

sandpublic

@hfrancis wrote:

@sandpublic   I can't seem to find any call forwarding feature on my device, but I checked the other calling features on my phone and everything looks good.

@computergeek541Yes, I'm aware of the need to backup. Thanks for the heads up.

@stonechucker  I would switch over to 3G, but I'm having a hard time finding out how to do that. A couple of members recommended going into my Network Settings which makes perfect sense, but when I do, that option is not available to me. I mentioned it in a previous post..

@Oana_SThank you for the help and yes, I will be sure to post the outcome of all of this and any other info that may help others who may have this problem in the future.

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/samsung_galaxys6/setting_up_call_forwarding.html#step=11

hfrancis

@sandpublic   I can't seem to find any call forwarding feature on my device, but I checked the other calling features on my phone and everything looks good.

@computergeek541Yes, I'm aware of the need to backup. Thanks for the heads up.

@stonechucker  I would switch over to 3G, but I'm having a hard time finding out how to do that. A couple of members recommended going into my Network Settings which makes perfect sense, but when I do, that option is not available to me. I mentioned it in a previous post..

@Oana_SThank you for the help and yes, I will be sure to post the outcome of all of this and any other info that may help others who may have this problem in the future.

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hello @hfrancis,

If the update does not work out, please come back again with a short message.

Thank you!

Oana

@hfrancis wrote:

@Oana_S  Yes, someone suggested setting my phone to 3G in a previous reply or PM, but:

1. I don't have that option when I select "Mobile Networks". I have only one option - "Access Point Names" that in turn shows 5 ISPs (Clernet, Koodo, Telus, etc.) none of which are selected plus...

2. 3G (opposed to 4G) has to do with internet only as I understand it, and I'm not having any problem with data service to my phone rather just my incoming calls.

@hfrancis, calling services are only provided on the 3G network at Public Mobile.  Data runs on both 3G and 4G.

Forcing a 3G connection will stop your phone from having to flip between the two network specifications to receive and make calls.

@hfrancis, it's important that you know that if you do a factory reset, all user content on the device will be erased, so make sure you make a copy of anything you need or want to keep.

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

@hfrancis, then we would need the phone factory reset results.

If ,for whatever reasons, you cannot proceed to a factory reset right away, please try to install all updates for the OS on the phone in the meantime.

Please fell free to ask other questions.

Best,

Oana

sandpublic

@hfrancis wrote:

@sandpublic  The sim I got from PM has been reinstalled once before (after I had to temporarily install the sim I had from a stay in China) and is not making any difference. Perhaps there's something to your brother's incident in Mexico and how moving these devices around from country to country, provider to provider, can possibly mess something up. I don't know. I purchased the phone in South Korea several years ago, had phone and data service both there and in China and then brought it home here to use. Maybe a factory reset will do the trick, but I don't want to do it quite yet due to some unfinished business in China that requires my phone (and my old sim).

One last suggestion. Did you check the call forwarding settings on you phone app to make sure that it's not forwarding calls when the network is unreachable?

hfrancis

@Oana_S  Yes, someone suggested setting my phone to 3G in a previous reply or PM, but:

1. I don't have that option when I select "Mobile Networks". I have only one option - "Access Point Names" that in turn shows 5 ISPs (Clernet, Koodo, Telus, etc.) none of which are selected plus...

2. 3G (opposed to 4G) has to do with internet only as I understand it, and I'm not having any problem with data service to my phone rather just my incoming calls.

Oana_S
Customer Support Agent

Hello @hfrancis,

I would also advise you to check the settings of your phone and try to manually set it up to 3G by following the path:

Settings> Connections> Mobile Networks> Network mode>  WCDMA/GSM only.

Please get back to me as soon as you have tested the phone after power cycle/ reset.

Waiting for your reply,

Oana

hfrancis

@sandpublic  The sim I got from PM has been reinstalled once before (after I had to temporarily install the sim I had from a stay in China) and is not making any difference. Perhaps there's something to your brother's incident in Mexico and how moving these devices around from country to country, provider to provider, can possibly mess something up. I don't know. I purchased the phone in South Korea several years ago, had phone and data service both there and in China and then brought it home here to use. Maybe a factory reset will do the trick, but I don't want to do it quite yet due to some unfinished business in China that requires my phone (and my old sim).

hfrancis

@CalgaryBen  I've been back and forth with a moderator now for most of the morning and it now seems like you may be right, that it's a probelm with my device and not the network. Unfortunately I don't have another phone on hand to check my sim, but I plan on asking a friend in the coming days. If all else fails, I plan on resetting my phone to factory settings and trying that. Of course if that fails then too, then I guess it may be time for a new phone.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hfrancis it's great that you've laid out a lot of preliminary details for us to work with!

Do you have any access to a different phone which is compatible with the PM network?  While there could be provisioning related issues, it feels like a phone thing.

When you turn on your phone and it registers with the network, it basically says "Hey, it's IMEI x with SIM ICC ID y, and I'm on and ready to receive calls if you'll let me!".  If/when a call is made, the tower you registered with should broadcast "Hey IMEI x, incoming call for you!", and the handset has to respond "Acknowledged... ringing!".  If any of the above isn't happening, it could explain going straight to VM.  (Obviously there's more sophistication in the handshake/authentication, but I'm just making a point...)

sandpublic

@hfrancis wrote:

@sandpublicthanks for the suggestion, but I agree with computergeek541 that my problem is with the phone and not the internet, so my APN settings shouldn't be relevant.

Mods... if you're reading, get back to me if and when you figure something out. Thanks again to all.

Understood and agree with you. The only reason I suggested it was because a similar thing happened to my brother when he was in Mexico. He purchased a pre-loaded Telcel sim card from here with unlimited NA minutes/texts and 1GB data for 30 days and when he went down there he was experiencing similar calling issues. To get it to work he had to remove the SIM card power down the phone for 5 minutes re-insert the SIM card and manually setup the APN and then everything started working. Maybe it was a coincidence...hope you find a soloution soon.

hfrancis

@sandpublic thanks for the suggestion, but I agree with computergeek541 that my problem is with the phone and not the internet, so my APN settings shouldn't be relevant.

Mods... if you're reading, get back to me if and when you figure something out. Thanks again to all.

@sandpublic wrote:

Make sure your phone has the latest updates installed. Also check under settings --> network internet mobile network is Public Mobile. Also make sure the APN info is correct because sometimes a phone will register as Telus and not PM if auto network is selected.

For someone having problems with phone calls, checking APN settings unfortunately won't accomplish anything.  APN setttings could be set wrong and phone calls would still worik. APN setttings are only there to make cellular data work.

sandpublic

Make sure your phone has the latest updates installed. Also check under settings --> network internet mobile network is Public Mobile. Also make sure the APN info is correct because sometimes a phone will register as Telus and not PM if auto network is selected.

hfrancis

@computergeek541Appreciate the suggestions. Since I've received a message (though no other evidence of the call) with my new number, I'm guessing call forwarding is not the issue. My "do not disturb" is disabled and I am not blocking any numbers. Perhaps it's the account issue you mentioned. I've been corresponding with one of the moderators and he's attempting to help, so I'm hoping he can correct the problem. In the meantime, more suggestions from anyone are welcome.

@hfrancis wrote:

@CellGirlThanks for the suggestion. The site states that my phone is fully compatible with a 3G network, but that it is only partially compatible with 4G. Specifically, the site states (regarding 4G reception) "Device is compatible with some of the network carriers frequencies. It may work."

Perhaps that's what the problem is. Not sure. If anyone else wants to chime in it would be much appreciated.

For now, I would ignore anything about the 4G LTE network because quite frankly, it is not required to use Public Mobile service. In addition, the LTE network can only be used for data services.

The 3g network compatibility is required for making and receiving phone calls, but there is no such thing as a phone that is compatible for only outgoing calls.  Your phone is compatible.  The 3g network can also be used for data services.

Since you say that you didn't port in a phone number, this is probably an accoutn provisioning issue.  Moderators should be able to help you with that.  

Other possible causes could be that you accidently have calls being forwarded to another number, you have do-not-distrub turned on, phone numbers from specific phone numbers are being blocked in your call settings, or even network condition issues when people are trying to call you.  These are all possibilities, although I will admit that they are far less likely than there being an account activation issue.

@CellGirl wrote:

@hfrancis

Hello. Also check your phone compatibility at willmyphonework.net  I was told this is more reliable than Public Mobile's IMEI Checker. 

There isn't any need to do this since outgoing calls work.  A phone can't be incompatible with voice calls if outgoing voice calls are already working.

hfrancis

@Silvio_M Thank you.

hfrancis

@CellGirl Thanks for the suggestion. The site states that my phone is fully compatible with a 3G network, but that it is only partially compatible with 4G. Specifically, the site states (regarding 4G reception) "Device is compatible with some of the network carriers frequencies. It may work."

Perhaps that's what the problem is. Not sure. If anyone else wants to chime in it would be much appreciated.

Silvio_M
Customer Support Agent

Hi @hfrancis,

We are here to help you.

A moderator is already looking into this right now. Please do follow the discussion with my colleague in private.

Best regards,

Silvio_M

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hfrancis wrote:

Hello, I've checked the messages and responses from some other members on here who had similar problems, but many of them appear to be porting issues or have registration/service matters that are either incomplete or incorrect. Those problems don't apply to me. The following is a copy of the PM I sent to the moderator. I know it can take time to hear back from them, so perhaps someone can address this sooner:

Hello,

I'm new with Public Mobile. I'm not receiving calls on my phone and I'm not sure why and how to correct the issue. Here are some details that may help you diagnose the problem:

1) I registered with a new number that I chose on this site (not a ported number from another provider)

2) I am able make outgoing calls and text

3) The airplane mode is not activated

4) My previous service provider was China Unicom. I removed that sim and my new one (provided by Public Mobile) has been in my phone since.

5) I have an unlocked Galaxy S6 Edge that I purchased in South Korea. According to your site the IMEI of my phone is compatible with your network.

6) A call from my landline DID go through to my cell when I tested it on my first day with Public Mobile, but since then I have had no incoming calls and two individuals tell me that their calls have gone directly to my voicemail. I did, in fact, receive one of the voicemails so that appears to be working.

7) There is no caller ID or "missed call" notification that I have received any of those calls.

If you need any further information, let me know. Obviously I want to get this fixed as soon as possible. Many thanks.

@hfrancis

Hello. Also check your phone compatibility at willmyphonework.net  I was told this is more reliable than Public Mobile's IMEI Checker. 

Need Help? Let's chat.