cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data service

christyj4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a different phone, lg g6. It used to be Verizon but I supposed to be unlocked. I set it up and it worked for 3 days. Starting Yesterday, my data always says I am offline sometimes my texts work but no matter what i try, i have no data anywhere I go

26 REPLIES 26

christyj4

I switched to Public Mobile recently because of the costs of plans with other carriers. I now have 5gb a month for $20 less than the 1gb I had before. Other carriers are very expensive if you accidently go over too. I had an issue with my data going over 1 month and it cost me $20 extra in the 5 minutes before I realized that the WiFi had kicked out and it was using data. Always make sure it is set to not switch automatically.  But all the carriers that I checked into were much more than PM, for far less service.

Lanchbery
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@stonechucker thanks for the reply, some good points there. I didn't realize that it was possible to restart the plan - that would definitely have been much better value on this occasion, especially so early in the month. I take your point re value compared to other providers, in fact, having now had a look around I remember why it is that I am with Public Mobile in the first place! 

I will take a look at my wife's settings and make the recommend adjustments, cheers 🙂 

@Lanchbery wrote:

Yep, it's certainly not Public Mobile's fault that the wifi dropped, but as you say with an unlimited data plan this wouldn't have been an issue. I know that unlimited plans with other carriers are (much) more expensive than with PM, but it feels to me that the cost of the data add-ons are just excessive and way out of line with the fair and reasonable prices that I've come to expect on this network.

I do not have any firm plans to go anywhere else yet, but I will be having a look around now. The fact is that if my wife now uses the same amount of data that she usually has in her standard plan, it will cost us an additional $135 on top of the $40 standard monthly payment ($30x4.5). This only has to happen a few times to nullify any savings we make from PM. 

@Lanchbery, you can ask for your plan to be renewed early, and get the data restarted, at full cost.  Or, you can change your plan to something else, or you can buy the 1 GB or 200 MB options.  Considering that you're buying add-ons that will remain until fully used, these are cheaper than the $8+/100mb options that the other carriers provide.

Even the throttled  'over the cap' unlimited plans will be slow on data.

Check your phone for data leakage - do not allow 'top quality' or 'extreme' or 'high quality' streaming unless using wifi, and try to use low quality when possible to conserve your data.

Lanchbery

Yep, it's certainly not Public Mobile's fault that the wifi dropped, but as you say with an unlimited data plan this wouldn't have been an issue. I know that unlimited plans with other carriers are (much) more expensive than with PM, but it feels to me that the cost of the data add-ons are just excessive and way out of line with the fair and reasonable prices that I've come to expect on this network.

I do not have any firm plans to go anywhere else yet, but I will be having a look around now. The fact is that if my wife now uses the same amount of data that she usually has in her standard plan, it will cost us an additional $135 on top of the $40 standard monthly payment ($30x4.5). This only has to happen a few times to nullify any savings we make from PM. 

@Lanchbery wrote:

This could well be it. Our Wifi dropped, and my wife used her entire 4.5gb monthly allowance in the duration of one video call, right at the beginning of the month. Unfortunately, Public Mobile charge extortionate rates for data top-ups. Her standard plan is $40 a month, including 4.5gb of data, but the top-up costs $30 for 1gb. If this happens again we will have to consider another network, as it quickly negates the otherwise great value of the plans. Make sure you turn of data usage for all but the essentials.

Your Wi-Fi would have disconected no matter which carrier you were using.  I don't like Public Mobile's data add-on costs either,  but who are you condering switching to?  I know that there are options that include "unlimited" data and ones that also include add-ons/boosters to extend the regular speeds.  Data overage costs are worse at many of the other carriers.

Lanchbery

This could well be it. Our Wifi dropped, and my wife used her entire 4.5gb monthly allowance in the duration of one video call, right at the beginning of the month. Unfortunately, Public Mobile charge extortionate rates for data top-ups. Her standard plan is $40 a month, including 4.5gb of data, but the top-up costs $30 for 1gb. If this happens again we will have to consider another network, as it quickly negates the otherwise great value of the plans. Make sure you turn of data usage for all but the essentials.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@christyj4 wrote:

Hello. Sorry for taking so long. I have tried everything. I added all the APN information, as well. Unfortunately, I have gotten no where. 

Might you be able to take screenshots of your settings and maybe we can see something.

This page describes how to do it. It takes some fiddling to finally transfer it up to here unless you would like to log in here on your phone.

Edit: all those things to type should all be lower case. That line of "words" and commas should have no spaces.

christyj4

Hello. Sorry for taking so long. I have been trying everything. I added all the APN information and that didnt work. I also factory reset the phone, and seem to be worse than before. My SIM works in the old broken lg g5, data to. But the choices are not quite the same, so that didn't help me with the new one. I suppose I am out of luck. Thanks for all the responses.

christyj4

Hello. Sorry for taking so long. I have tried everything. I added all the APN information, as well. Unfortunately, I have gotten no where. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@christyj4 wrote:

I cant see my responses anywhere and I am new to this. There is no choice of the APN. And I dont have the answers to the add an APN. I have lots of data. My texts and phone calls work, but seem to lose the service easily. I can not connect to any network that the data will work

Are you able to post a screen snip of your overview page. Blank out personal info of course.

When you set up your phone, did you turn on any data saving so as not to use too much data? Or a meter to tell you not to use any more data

Of course, do you have the data mode turned on? Do you maybe see a little LTE icon on the top bar?

Do you see 3 dots in the upper right corner when you're looking at Access Point Names? Or maybe a + (plus).

@christyj4 wrote:

I cant see my responses anywhere and I am new to this. There is no choice of the APN. And I dont have the answers to the add an APN. I have lots of data. My texts and phone calls work, but seem to lose the service easily. I can not connect to any network that the data will work

These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

christyj4

christyj4

It says I have used half of a GB. I get 5gb a month

@christyj4You can get the APN info here.. fill that in, reboot the phone and see if it works better.

christyj4

It says No APN and if I press add, it asks for piles of info that i dont know. And the #* phone number told me I dont have voice in my plan, which is strange, because I do and it works. Just the data doesn't. And I have only used .5 of 5gb

@christyj4  Are you there? Can you please reply to some of the above questions so that we can help you.Smiley Happy

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It could also be that the texting issue is unrelated to the data issue in this case, considering the (possibly) ongoing texting issues many people were reporting not that long ago.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@christyj4 wrote:

I got a different phone, lg g6. It used to be Verizon but I supposed to be unlocked. I set it up and it worked for 3 days. Starting Yesterday, my data always says I am offline sometimes my texts work but no matter what i try, i have no data anywhere I go

Is it possible that you've used up your data allotment and that's why it's stopped working after three days? Have you looked in your self serve account to see that you still have remaining data?

Edit: Maybe the new phone had different settings for things like background data and it ate through your remaining data real fast? That is if you don't have any data left... Just another thought that came to my mind.

I vote with MandyJ. It was working for 3 days therefore not APN, not LG or the stupid renewal problem (assuming 🙂 ). Could be the data mode but the OP seems familiar enough with that.

@Anonymous  But that doesn't answer the "Sometimes my texts work"

Sure, that was one piece of the OP. But they seemed rather more interested in data.

Hopefully the OP responds to some of the questions...throwing darts in the dark is not fun.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@christyj4 wrote:

Is it possible that you've used up your data allotment and that's why it's stopped working after three days? Have you looked in your self serve account to see that you still have remaining data?

Edit: Maybe the new phone had different settings for things like background data and it ate through your remaining data real fast? That is if you don't have any data left... Just another thought that came to my mind.

I vote with MandyJ. It was working for 3 days therefore not APN, not LG or the stupid renewal problem (assuming 🙂 ). Could be the data mode but the OP seems familiar enough with that.

Sure, that was one piece of the OP. But they seemed rather more interested in data.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@christyj4 wrote:

What is your plan?  Could you have used all of your data up?  Sometimes you don't think you are using data but in the background apps can be updating without you knowing.  Especially if this is a new to you phone and you didn't set it to only update while on wifi.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Anonymous wrote:

@MandyJ wrote:

@christyj4 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MandyJ wrote:

@christyj4 wrote:

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@christyj4 wrote:

LG phones have been known to have an issue switching networks for data.  You can try a network reset on it or you may need to do a factory reset.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@christyj4 wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@christyj4  - Have you checked the APN settings?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@christyj4 wrote:

@christyj4  If it worked for 3 days then your phone is not locked. Check your APN are they correct? Maybe post a screenshot of your APN.

Edit: Dial *#*#4636#*#* select phone information. Do your network settings look correct?

Need Help? Let's chat.