cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sim Card Issue with New PM Sim (Phone Works)

Akudakatsu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I bought a new PM sim in the hopes of transferring to PM at the end of my billing cycle but it doesn't work. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 that is working with my current carrier's sim card. When I insert the PM sim (and power cycle), the phone doesn't read it and shows No Sim Card, Insert Sim Card. I tried a suggestion I found on the forums, to add some backing to make the sim card as thick as the micro in my phone, but it didn't help. So any suggestions on fixing this? Or did I just get a bad sim and should order another?

Edit #1:

1. I have not yet bought a plan from PM, I inserted the sim to make sure it worked (and show no service because it's not activated).

2. My carrier is Koodo, and currently I have no other PM sim in the micro or changeable size, but I can check that tomorrow. However, Koodo told me that my phone is unlocked but I don't remember if I actively checked this; will do this tomorrow as well. Also, when I tested a locked S3 it shows Invalid Sim, not No Sim.

Edit #2:

But I've tested deactivated sims to check phone locks several times (not my phone; and they appear as detected and no service). Shouldn't deactivated sims behave the same as not activated sims?

Edit #3:
OK, so I finally activated my public mobile service and the sim is dead, still reads No SIM card - Emergency calls only. So what's my next step? I still need to transfer my number from Koodo before the final bill comes in but I need a working SIM to do that. And I need to do this in about a week.

Edit #4:

I tested the SIM* in a PM phone as well and it still displays No SIM inserted. So definitely I need a new SIM. Anyone know the turn around time for emails to PM?

Edit #5:

Yes, I activated the SIM before inserting it in my phone and left it in there for 20 minutes, incase it needed some time to read, no change in SIM status. (Also restarted my phones, both of the ones I tested).

Edit #6:

Solution: A new PM SIM Card that is NOT activated would simply state "Emergency calls only", and will not suggest or state messages like, "No SIM card" or "Insert SIM card". (At least that's how my new PM working SIM behaved in my phone). If the phone(s) are giving a "No SIM card" error or suggesting to "Insert SIM card" even when there is a SIM inserted, (2 phones of mine did), then the SIM card is not working, and a new one should be ordered. The exact messages will be different on different devices, but a working new PM SIM Card without activation will still work in the phone, it just won't provide service. Edit: All of the above is only true if the phone is properly working and unlocked or works with PM.

32 REPLIES 32

crazyfrog
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Akudakatsu What is current carrier that you are using in your S3.

It could be a bad sim but to determine that you need to put in any other sim card apart from your current one or PM one. Infact if you have a friend that is on PM, you can try that SIM as well to check if its the phone or the sim itself.

Alternatively you could request anyone living closeby to give you a spare sim if they have one. I live in Brampton and i have a spare sim that is un activated. If you happen to live in Brampton, PM me and i can give the sim to you.

JVdSousa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I don't have any sugeestion ......

But a quick question, Have you activated the SIM and pay a fee?

I am also NEW here and I activated the SIM and paid for on Thrusday last week.

On Friday afternoon I get a e-mail the SIM has been activated.

Have you received an e-mail yet?

Should that not be the issue or you have received the e-mail, then I guest you need to chat with the moderator's i.e @Mary_M or @Kalla_A or Shazia_K or Christopher_T and several others, you can identify with the PM logo beside their name.

One of them will contact you in the morning and then look at your account setup and resolve the issues that you are having ........   They will post here a responce, so be sure to log in back again in the morning.

They will ask you to send the personal detail on the private message .......

Don't put out here for everyone to see ........  They will ask you to send the details.

Jose

Need Help? Let's chat.