Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New used phone

denis2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What are your thoughts and advice on a used phone from KIJIJI,

17 REPLIES 17

You can get a good price purchasing used.  You can be careful and still gwt burned.  Calculate rough off odds of blacklist and calculate price you are okay paying.  If it gets blacklisted, the odds will balance things if buying used again.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lieux wrote:

Unlocked ...or the count icloud need to be canceled on the phone or you can't use it. 

@Lieux wrote:

@denis2 wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong  isn't icloud a storage place just for apple and if i dont buy apple is it relevant

Yes if you don't buy an iphone you don't need to bother with icloud!Smiley Happy

@denis2 I think what @Lieux is talking about here is there is protection built into iPhones so that if someone steals it, they can't just factory reset it without knowing your iCloud (apple ID) login credentials.  I think it's called Factory Reset Protection (https://www.imyfone.com/ios-data-erase/how-to-bypass-frp-factory-reset-protection-on-iphone/), but hopefully @CalgaryBen will correct me if I'm wrong.  The point is that if you get a used iPhone that's still associated to someone else's Apple ID, you may not be able to just wipe it and use it, and you need to make sure it's been properly reset for you to use.

There is a similar features on at least some Android devices, called Google Account Verification https://www.unlockunit.com/blog/bypass-google-account-verification-factory-reset-protection/.  So, this warning (whether or not it is what @Lieux was actually talking about--appologies if I misunderstood you!) does apply to phones of either OS.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Darren4
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can get some great deals on Kijiji. If you buy from a home owner you have a low chance of being scammed because you know where they live and they aren't going anywhere. 

Chanah

Agreed. I've had good luck with ebay, and often with volume sellers, you can also find older new phones (like open-box returns) for dirt cheap. 

Just make sure they have a lot of sales done, and at least 98.5% positive ratings, and you should be okay. And of course, avoid those guys who offer 'economy shipping' to Canada for a mere 100$ !

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Billag46 wrote:

I purchased a used iPhone 6SPlus  from a friend.   He told me that he had forgoten the password and was locked out.   I thought... well no problem... will just call Apple and get it reset.

@Billag46 I've never heard of anyone successfully getting a device unlocked by calling Apple (not saying it can't be done, but it's definitely an uphill battle).

Does your friend have the iPhone backed up on iTunes on a computer, or to iCloud?  If there's an iTunes backup, putting it into restore mode and then connecting the iPhone to the iTunes on the computer should allow access again.  I do this often for my kids' devices as they like to create a passcode, and then promptly forget their code and lock themselves out. Smiley Frustrated  Alternatively, assuming it's got an Apple ID associated, he can log into iCloud.com, use the Find iPhone tool, and remotely erase the device (although I'm not sure if that will allow entry... haven't used that feature before, myself).

CalgaryBen

@denis2 wrote:

I've bought a few iPhones through sellers using Kijiji (with no problems), but since experiences could vary, I generally don't advise it unless you're very familiar with the type of phone you're purchasing, and can test everything out before handing over cash.

More recently, I've switched most of my buying of used phones using reputable sellers on eBay.  These are volume resellers, who often get phones from corporations or e-recycling companies, and they've "refurbished" them.  Most of them offer free shipping and returns/exchanges, which is an added peace-of-mind, and their costs are often on par or better than Kijiji (although prices on Kijiji seem to be somewhat regional).  If you're not in a rush, eBay often also has "sales" (10-20% off promo codes) and will promote/endorse specific sellers, including: wireless.canada, phones.n.more, toronto.cellular.  I've had good results with those three, and their feedback reflects their reliability.

Good luck!

frank312
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

do not buy

That's kind of you to have marked my message as a solution @denis2 but that's not the solution...you can change it if you want just click on the 3 dots in the message marked as the solution...Smiley Happy

Billag46
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a used iPhone 6SPlus  from a friend.   He told me that he had forgoten the password and was locked out.   I thought... well no problem... will just call Apple and get it reset.   Well that started in November 2018.   To be fair.. I had to wait till I got back to Canada from US to try and get it unlocked.   The middle of January.. I called... and had to wait 25 days.   Tried again and got another 25 day wait.   Then I got a 13 min wait... and then a 1 day wait... and now on a 15 day wait.   The phone is still locked and if it does not work this time... I am going to try and get my money back.   So... be very careful when you buy a used phone.

denis2

OK got it , with your advice and some research this is what i will do:

- I will check IMEI number on "device check Canada"

- wont buy an apple 

- ask for the box it came in is a good idea, will do that too

@denis2 wrote:

Correct me if i'm wrong  isn't icloud a storage place just for apple and if i dont buy apple is it relevant

Yes if you don't buy an iphone you don't need to bother with icloud!Smiley Happy

denis2

Psygineer

@denis2 wrote:

I've bought a few phones from there and other than one (which was my fault for not checking it fully) worked fine. The S8+ I got has its charging port damaged so you really need to play with the cable to get a connection, but I can wirelessly charge it. To verify the phone isn't stolen, I always ask for the original box. Most people keep it. If they don't have it then I usually don't buy it.

@denis2 wrote:

why would it need to be unlocked with icloud ???

Unlocked ...or the count icloud need to be canceled on the phone or you can't use it. 

denis2

why would it need to be unlocked with icloud ???

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@denis2 wrote:

It depends...but I always bought the iphones of my family on kijiji..You need to be sure if they are not blacklisted and if they are unlocked with icloud. For sure you need to test them fisrt with wifi and icloud. That's MINE good experience with about 8 iphones..but you can loose your money with bad experience so what are you ready to pay if it will be a bad experience? The iphones I bought were under 100$ just one was 800$ and it was still with warranty with Apple.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Perish that thought!  Give this thread a read.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/buying-phones-kijiji-blacklisted-2130169/

Need Help? Let's chat.