cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New unlimited plans

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I see Telus and Rogers have come out with unlimited data plans where you can even bring your own phone.

Is Public Mobile planning to come up with a similar plan since add ons are limited and expensive?

24 REPLIES 24

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

You know, if you guys do want PM to offer unlimited severely-throttled data, the best way to send that message, quite honestly, is to leave and go to one of the providers that already offers it.  If enough people start leaving they will take notice and make the change.  At that time, if you still prefer PM, you can transfer back again.  In the meantime, you get to enjoy all the 128Kbps data you want at Lucky or Chatr.  Win-win for you, no?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@jor123 wrote:

Even 128 kbps should be okay for simple web browsing or streaming audio, if the latency is still good and it usually is on LTE. 

It would work but who wants to be using it at that speed for any length of time. It won't be enjoyable. At least you would still get your e-mails and messages.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@Patrick_R if you need unlimited data, there's no contract keeping you with Public Mobile.  I'm just saying, if you really need it, you don't have to wait for PM to offer something similar.  If your'e going to an unlimtied plan, note that the throttle is significantly slower than the "3G" plans at Public Mobile; the best-case unlimited throttled rate is 512Kbps (half of 1Mbps, or 1/6th of PM's 3G speed) on the 1st tier brands, while the 3rd seem to bottom out at 1/4 of that speed or 128Kbps (1/24th of PM's 3G speed).

Even 128 kbps should be okay for simple web browsing or streaming audio, if the latency is still good and it usually is on LTE. 

Patrick_R

Checked it out in general

(threads merged)

srlawren

@Patrick_R wrote:

Have you investigated it?

@Patrick_R has whom investigated what?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Patrick_R

Have you investigated it?

If PM could offer 512 k service after my data runs out for the same price, I'm all for it. But if the price goes up, I'd just rather keep what we have an let a few others move to other providers. Same deal with the lack of a call centre.

Oops duplicate post, sorry.

srlawren

@Patrick_R if you need unlimited data, there's no contract keeping you with Public Mobile.  I'm just saying, if you really need it, you don't have to wait for PM to offer something similar.  If your'e going to an unlimtied plan, note that the throttle is significantly slower than the "3G" plans at Public Mobile; the best-case unlimited throttled rate is 512Kbps (half of 1Mbps, or 1/6th of PM's 3G speed) on the 1st tier brands, while the 3rd seem to bottom out at 1/4 of that speed or 128Kbps (1/24th of PM's 3G speed).

@Patrick_R wrote:

Reason asked cause Freedom and others seem to be pushing it alot.

PM seems only one not doing it.

I'm sure there are a lot of customers here who would love PM to match that.  Some will probably end up going to other carriers if PM opts not to offer it in the near future. 

However, Freedom Mobile's network coverage isn't as expanxive as PM's being that it's owned by Telus.

I believe Lucky Mobile offers unlimited data at reduced speeds, and they and PM would have similar network coverage.  So it might be an option if it's very important to you.

Patrick_R

Reason asked cause Freedom and others seem to be pushing it alot.

PM seems only one not doing it.

@Patrick_R wrote:

Since all other providers are offering unlimited data wonder when PM will?

Good question and quite few others have been asking but PM has had no response so far.

We can hope though, but doesn't seem to be a priority for them right now.

Patrick_R

Since all other providers are offering unlimited data wonder when PM will?

Patrick_R

Im hoping something comes out soon since Freedom offering free phones with plans cause they already have unlimited data according to the news article cause before you had to buy a phone outright or bring your own phone just like PM

Patrick_R

Yeah sad that add ons for data to expensive to make it worth while 

Patrick_R

Funny deals are only for employees so no benefit to the general public so why would a company promote it?

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@GinYVR wrote:

@Patrick_RI would say you would see it at Koodo before Public.. Rogers and Telus are like business class, this is barebone cattle class. However if you look at deal sites apparently Bell is already offering 30% off their unlimited plans.

Those discounts are only for employees, fyi.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

I see Telus and Rogers have come out with unlimited data plans where you can even bring your own phone.

Is Public Mobile planning to come up with a similar plan since add ons are limited and expensive?

Last time this was brought up I commented my opinion on it and some one decided to twist every word I said and after I replied to clarify it they made me seem like I was hostile (which wasn't my intention), however, I am willing to take the risk!

I would very much support an unlimited data plan so long as it didn't raise the cost of the service. I also wouldn't care if it was slower than dialup. I only have 1GB of data in my plan, and typically I use less than 25 MB of it (no I do not mean 250 MB!) that 25 MB is mostly apps ignoring my data being turned off. Anyway, the reason why I leave it turned off the majority of the time is because I never know when work will make me travel, and when I travel I need the data to be available to me so I can work remotely. If I had unlimited data plan even if it was slower than a snail on salt, then at least I would be able to use my data more freely and always know that I will still be able to check my work email and other work releated websites and remote resources albeit slowly. There have been plenty of times I would have liked some data, but I save it because work does pay for my service through a $40 phone allowance.

Patrick_R

Sorry to hear thought they like to stay the leader set a example.

@Patrick_R keep your fingers crossed we can always hopeSmiley Happy

@Patrick_R wrote:

Was hoping Public Mobile might counter act with their own plan and solution.

It seems like once one carrier comes out with a new plan others come out with theirs to be competitive.

Public Mobile is no longer a leader in the market.  They wait and follow the lead of the "competition".  I still wouldn't consider it unlimited data when it gets throttled to 512kb

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Patrick_R

Was hoping Public Mobile might counter act with their own plan and solution.

It seems like once one carrier comes out with a new plan others come out with theirs to be competitive.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_RI would say you would see it at Koodo before Public.. Rogers and Telus are like business class, this is barebone cattle class. However if you look at deal sites apparently Bell is already offering 30% off their unlimited plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.