cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone number is calling someone else

6kec2000
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just registered a brand new SIM card and got a brand new phone number. I can make outgoing calls. But I cannot receive text messages or phone calls. When I call my new number a woman answers. Not me. How is it that I have an outgoing phone number but not an incoming phone number?

18 REPLIES 18

6kec2000

**UPDATE**

Thanks for all your help Peeps.  I got in touch with the moderator.  Here is what they said:

What happened is that the number was a port from another provider that got sent back.

I can already tell you that to fix the issue we will need to do a phone number change.

@6kec2000 , I have merged and removed the solution as you should not create a new topic on the very same issue.  Please do not do this again.

PMFanatic
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@6kec2000 if you selected a brand new number and this is happening I would recommend messaging the kind folks at the Moderator_Team via this link to investigate your account and to provide some additional insight into your issue.

It helps to provide a detailed description of your problem and what your resolution goals are so they can best assist. If you are having troubles contacting the Moderator_Team, refer to the following knowledge base link. Expect a response within 1 hour or up to 48 hours depending on volumes...

Best of luck!

@6kec2000 

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@6kec2000 

So you didn't port your # from another carrier? Did you try powering off phone then reseat the SIM? You could also try the lost/stolen phone trick...

Hi @6kec2000 

You probably already checked, but just in case, did you check your phone forwarding settings? Can you set it to forward all the calls to your home phone or family member phone then change back (in case previous owner set forwarding and for some reason it's still in the system if that is at all possible)

denis2

Look at the brightside, your mother in law cant reach you Smiley LOL

6kec2000
I tagged my issue as resolved because I emailed the moderator, but they haven't gotten back to me and I wonder if it is because this is not still open?  Just reopening it until it is truly resolved.  @Moderator_Team 

New phone number is calling someone else

I just registered a brand new SIM card and got a brand new phone number. I can make outgoing calls. But I cannot receive text messages or phone calls. When I call my new number a woman answers. Not me. How is it that I have an outgoing phone number but not an incoming phone number?

CellGirl

@Psygineer 

I'm surprised you haven't changed your number, considering the harassment 😮

@6kec2000 wrote:

I'm not sure why this is a Telus specialty, but Telus once assigned my phone number to a brand new customer when I had already had it for about 3 years at the time (this was about 10 years ago). That new customers was forced to pick a new phone number.  We've had a few instances of this on these message boards. 

In this case, the mistake is definitely Public Mobiles, as I believe they've somehow managed to assign another customers phone number to you.  The only solution is take a different phone number.  If the self-serve system was allowing you to change your number, all would be fixed, but since it's not lettting you, that's the reason for the delay in fixing this.  Hopefully, the moderators will get to you soon.  

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@6kec2000 wrote:

Thanks a lot all.   I will text the moderator. It is a brand new phone number I picked off the registration list. Bizarre. I've already tried to change it and got an error message.

It's brand new to you, but not to the world. The number I picked from PM's list belonged to a man named Randle who skipped out on a lot of bills. I get harassed by collections agencies. As for why someone else answers... are you in a city that has more than one area code? Try dialing your number with your area code that is associated with the number you picked. It's possible that it is dialing the person who has the same number as you but the other area code. It's a stretch, but its the only way I can see it being possible.

@6kec2000 wrote:

Thanks a lot all.   I will text the moderator. It is a brand new phone number I picked off the registration list. Bizarre. I've already tried to change it and got an error message.

@6kec2000You have can only change your number once every 30 days with Public Mobile. You should login to your selfserve account and make sure the number that is displayed under Plan & Addons is the correct number. Hopefully the moderator is able to fix or they might have to issue you another one if it was already previusly assigned.

6kec2000

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@6kec2000 wrote:

You'll need to contact the moderators .

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@6kec2000Contact the moderators via this link. They will sort it out for you, but they might give you a new number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@6kec2000  - If it is a brand new phone number, then that should not be possible.  Keep in mind that when you activate a new SIM, calling out generally works immediately.  However receiving often takes a while longer since there is more setup/initialization on the network side (this is especially tru when porting in a number).

In your case, are you sure you tokk down the right number?  If so, then somehow, numbers are messed up in the system, and you will need to contact moderator team to have them straighten it out.  Might need to switch numbers if the number you picked is actually already in service.

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 8AM-Midnight(EST) & Sat/Sun 8AM-10:00PM(EST)

bravo_md

Send a message to the Mod_ team with that problem for a fix.

6kec2000

Brand new number.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@6kec2000  Is this a new Public Mobile number or a number that you transferred over from another provider?

Need Help? Let's chat.