cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone, New Sim Card

jobella
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I just purchased a new OnePlus 3T phone and had to order a new sim card as this phone required nano sims and my Motorola required a micro sim.

I read online that getting a new sim card should be free but I paid 5.75?!?!

Did I order the right card? If so, after years of loyal service I am shocked!!!

What do I need to do now? Can I still use the old sim card in my old phone until I understand how this new phone works? I don't want to be stuck without a phone.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

J

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jobella are you having any issues with your data connection?  If so, can you please tell me what version of Oxygen OS your OnePlus 3T is running? You can find that by going to settings, then scroll to the bottom and tap on About Phone.  One of the items in there should be OxygenOS version.  If yours has 4.0.0 on it, please check for upgrades.  4.0.0 had a known problem where it messed up the APN settings.  4.0.1 and 4.0.2 have resolved this, so doing an update alone may resolve the issue if you are having one still....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

SD08

@jobella wrote:

Hi,

I ordered, received and inputted it into my phone but don't understand what I am supposed to do with APN?

J

After you've changed the SIM card in your Self-Serve account and put the new card into your new phone, you can modify your APN settings if necessary by following the instructions for Android phones in this article here:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-Up-Data-On-Your-Phone/ta-p/26

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SDO8 wrote:

PM started charging $5 for new sims this past fall because they found that only 35% of SIMs were activated when there was no charge.  On the plus side, that charge includes free express 2-day delivery.

You can still use the old SIM until you switch the SIM through your self-serve account, here:

PublicMobileChangeSIMCard.jpg

Hi @jobella

@Did you follow @SD08 instructions on how to update your SIM card info through you Self Serve account? 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

jobella

Hi,

I ordered, received and inputted it into my phone but don't understand what I am supposed to do with APN?

J

srlawren

@jobella did you end up ordering new SIM card online, then?  Is it all working well for you?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jobella

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I am in the Montreal area 🙂

To tell you the truth I am a bit technophobic about this phone as I've had my Motorola for ages 😉

srlawren

@jobella further to @Luddite's offer, if you happen to be in the greater Vancouver area, send me a private message, as I have a spare I can give you as well, no charge.  

BTW you're going to love the 3T!  I've had the 3 since it came out in June and I absolutely adore it.  The 3T is nearly the same but better in a few key ways.  Great device.

@jobella If you live near Mississauga send me a private message; I have a spare SIM you may have. 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

Tri-SIMs began shipping in the summer of 2015. Jobella and I were in that ancient time when new customers had to fill in a questionaire to join the queue to receive a single size SIM! Robot LOL ©️ust j

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

Nano SIMs are pretty hard to cut.  There is very little margin for error.  For $5, it's not worth cutting and risking the thing possible getting stuck or causing a short.  

Not to mention, nano sims aren't as thick as regular/micro sims.  Depending on your phone, there's a chance that it could get stuck in your sim card slot.

Raven_Jet
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I used to cut my SIM cards to the right size lol. But not anymore.

Trust me it is worth every penny, PMs SIM is a lot better priced. I bought other SIM cards for $15 or $20 before taxes!!  If you setup autopsy you get $2 off per month.

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sportymi wrote:

Isn't PM sim card triple punch? Or do you have an old sim card?

If you have the triple punch card, you should be able to just break it from micro to nano.

Depends on when the sim card was obtained.  I have one that is a single-cut nano from a few years ago, thus I wouldn't be surprised if there are double-cut regular/micro ones out there.

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Isn't PM sim card triple punch? Or do you have an old sim card?

If you have the triple punch card, you should be able to just break it from micro to nano.

Nano SIMs are pretty hard to cut.  There is very little margin for error.  For $5, it's not worth cutting and risking the thing possible getting stuck or causing a short.  

mimmo

On the plus side the cost of a new .Sim is less than oe equal to most other canadian providers for replacing Sims.

You could try cutting your current Sim before activating the new one.  I have had 50/50 luck doing that. But you have nothing to loose. If it works you have a spare Sim for a friend,  if not you have a spare sim

SD08

PM started charging $5 for new sims this past fall because they found that only 35% of SIMs were activated when there was no charge.  On the plus side, that charge includes free express 2-day delivery.

You can still use the old SIM until you switch the SIM through your self-serve account, here:

PublicMobileChangeSIMCard.jpg

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Once you activate the new SIM into your account, your old SIM will no longer be usable.  As for getting a free SIM replacement because of size issues with the old one, I am sure the moderators could help out by possibly giving you an account credit for your SIM purchase.  They are very reasonable about these kind of things at least from my own personal experience.  So, give them a private message and kindly ask for a credit.  BTW, the latest one plus 3 firmware seems to have left out the Public Mobile APN data.  So, make sure you manually enter the APN yourself otherwise you will not be able to get data to work.  Here's a link for the APN.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-Up-Data-On-Your-Phone/ta-p/26

Need Help? Let's chat.