cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer being harrassed

Naoise
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, im a new customer and my phone keeps getting called by unsolicited international countries, its very annoying. Can i choose a different phone number?

13 REPLIES 13

ApatheticFloW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've registered several home phone numbers to no avail. The calls I've received were not necessarily over seas or international,the majority came from mainly QC, and/or Canada and the USA.

It's better then nothing I mean it can o ly help right.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@WhewChile the problem is the majority of these unsolicited calls come from overseas, where the DNC list has zero affect.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@WhewChile wrote:

Since we're on the topic of unsolicited calls, I'd like to make a suggestion. The federal government offers a service in the form of a registry in order to curb unsolicited calls from telemarketers bound by canadian laws; it's called the National Do Not Call List.

One who wishes to add a number to the registry can do so here: https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en.

Thank you for sharing. I did it but still unsollicitd calls...probably it can help...

WhewChile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Since we're on the topic of unsolicited calls, I'd like to make a suggestion. The federal government offers a service in the form of a registry in order to curb unsolicited calls from telemarketers bound by canadian laws; it's called the National Do Not Call List.

One who wishes to add a number to the registry can do so here: https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@slash407 wrote:

u can change ur number through the self serve, it takes like 2 seconds, even a cavemen can do it.

Try not to give ur number out to much so u can negate the effects of unwanted calls. But all in all, everbody gets them to a certain extent

@slash407 robodialers mean that your number is effectively irrelevant.  They can point their dialer software at a block of numbers and have it dial over and over and then move on to another block.  You never have to give your number to anyone to be a potential target these days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slash407 wrote:

u can change ur number through the self serve, it takes like 2 seconds, even a cavemen can do it.

Try not to give ur number out to much so u can negate the effects of unwanted calls. But all in all, everbody gets them to a certain extent

@slash407 

Your number tends to get out there, especially with online shopping  😞  Despite that, I've had few spam calls, but I prefer to block those numbers, rather than going through the hassle of giving a new number to everybody!

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Naoise 

You do know you can simply block the number calling you right?

But otherwise yes you can change your number after bill date

I get very few spam calls, and when I do, I just block them.

I got 3 in one night from the same company, on 3 different numbers.  It was definitely a robodialer, set up to call through an area code and prefix list.

Changing a new number isn't a bad idea, but if it's a long term number you have, you may decide it's better to keep, and just block as required.

ApatheticFloW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Exactly change ur number, but if you want the same number I would just block the numbers of the people you don't want contacting you. Your phone should have the option to block callers by adding them to blocked numbers list. Look at your phones settings, or just change ur number if your fine with having to send all your contacts your new number which can be annoying if you have many contacts like I do.

hanking
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, log in your account in this website. Click "Change number" on the right bottom of the page.

Choose a new number. You don't need to pay for this and the number will be changed immediately. 

Your problem will be gone.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naoise wrote:

Hi, im a new customer and my phone keeps getting called by unsolicited international countries, its very annoying. Can i choose a different phone number?

@Naoise That's bad. Is there any way that you can block the number in your phone?

@Naoise wrote:

You can change your phone number once per 30 days.  It is done from within your self-serve account.  However, there is no guarantee that these types of calls will stop.  These people/companies sometimes call random numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Naoise wrote:

Yes you can once every 30 days in the self-serve.

Edit: you can also block those numbers by making a contact and then dropping those numbers in there and then turning off any notifications when they call. You'll still see missed calls though.

Need Help? Let's chat.