cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer. No data, internet doesn't work.

Hchlebek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just activated a new plan for my wife's phone. It is unlocked and is listed as compatible. Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. Phone and text works but no data, no internet connection. $25 plan with 1Gb data. Simon, the bot, tells me to check APN settings. It displays the message: Access Point Name settings are not available for this user. How do I get help for this?? So far Public Mobile sucks.

6 REPLIES 6

Hchlebek

Understandable, but this is a discount bargain provider so people using old phones with them is probably common. Therefore, they should post these settings on a help page or somewhere simple to find. As I said, the Telus sim I used first did not have this issue with this phone. The phone check they use showed this phone is compatible and that would be a good place to put a link to the settings.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Hchlebek wrote:

Not correct. The phone was purchased a few months ago. It's old technology but brand new hardware. (It is not a used refurbished unit.) It is unlocked and does not belong to any provider. I first put in a Telus sim and DID NOT need to enter these settings manually. It worked instantly.

Furthermore, these settings should be simple to find on the Public Mobile site which they are not.

It may be a Brand New Phone but it is still close to six years old in Technology. So having to input data settings on older phones is nothing new. 

Hchlebek

Not correct. The phone was purchased a few months ago. It's old technology but brand new hardware. (It is not a used refurbished unit.) It is unlocked and does not belong to any provider. I first put in a Telus sim and DID NOT need to enter these settings manually. It worked instantly.

Furthermore, these settings should be simple to find on the Public Mobile site which they are not.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Hchlebek wrote:

I just activated a new plan for my wife's phone. It is unlocked and is listed as compatible. Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo. Phone and text works but no data, no internet connection. $25 plan with 1Gb data. Simon, the bot, tells me to check APN settings. It displays the message: Access Point Name settings are not available for this user. How do I get help for this?? So far Public Mobile sucks.

Just because you didn't input the correct settings on your 5 to 6 year old S5 Neo, so because of that Public Mobile Sucks?  Most newer phones Auto input the correct settings for Data & MMS but a lot of the older ones do not. FYI. Had you put in a Sim card from any other provider other then the one the phone belongs to you would have had to put in these settings. Public Mobile can improve in a lot of things but this is not one of the Reasons why it Sucks. 

Hchlebek

Thanks, have it working now. They should have trained Simon, the bot, to give out these settings.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Hchlebek wrote:

@Hchlebek These are the Public Mobile APN settings you need:

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Don't forget to save these settings and then select this APN as the active one.

If you need to know where to find the settings:
Android
Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Iphone
Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Cellular Network
OR
Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.

Need Help? Let's chat.