cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New account

monkie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just activated my new account. I simply connected to the internet without any browsing, just to make sure it worked. I apparently used over 55 mb of data just to connect. Is that normal? How much browse time do I get with 1000 mb of data? 

8 REPLIES 8

monkie

Thanks Cheryl. Very useful and helpful info.👍

Krisanne
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I connected via wifi and used very little data.

sherylgallant

You can save data usage by turning off some of your apps, like the location, that always runs in the background. You can turn them on when you need them, ie for "maps" when you travel. You don't need location in your day to day use.

You should be able to tell your phone not to update apps without asking, or to only update apps when using wifi, so it doesn't do this automaticallly using up your data. Otherwise all of your apps will update themselves constantly in the background using your phone data. Turn off any automatic syncing that you don't need also. Turn it on when you have wifi somewhere, except for your email, if you want to get it everywhere you go.

Cell phone and simple texting work without data.

If you want to download some larger items, like movies, audiobooks, etc. do it using wifi, when you have it, not your phone data. 

Protect your phone data and it will last a long time.

@monkieSmartphones do a lot of background services which will use data.. eg location databases

Anonymous
Not applicable

@monkie wrote:

I thought only connecting to the internet uses data?

Your phone itself can do all kinds of things when it can see the internet via cell data or wifi. Apps and the OS will see if they need updating. You might have emails and calendars syncing.

monkie

I thought only connecting to the internet uses data?

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Basic text, or viewing text are using minimal data.

video, picture use alot, so becaseful on thos usage.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It depends on your activity.  If you surf the web and check email a gig of data could last a month depending on how many hours you spend a day.  Streaming vidoes and music can use a lot of data,

Need Help? Let's chat.