cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM issue - Emergency Call Only

GormleyCell
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey everyone,

I just signed up with Public Mobile with two accounts.  The first SIM card activated without problems.  The second SIM card however shows "Emergency Call Only" and the line that the previous service that the number was ported in from is now dead.  That makes me believe the port worked, but for some reason the SIM card isn't activating.  Any help would be appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17

GormleyCell

Thanks for your reply. The moderator also suggested trying SIM card in the other new phone.

didn't work there either. She contacted the Tech group and they got it going later that day.

No report as to what they did but it all is good now. 

@445935293 

4g LTE is not needed. All calls go through 3g.

@GormleyCell 

If you switched Sims in the two phones and the problem sim did not work in the other phone and vice versa then the sim did not provision correctly or its a dud. Contact the moderators as suggested.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

customer support.jpeg

@GormleyCell 

the second sim doesn't seem like it's been activated correctly.

you can customer support by clicking this link below:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

Moderators are available from Monday to Friday from 8AM to Midnight EST and from Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 10PM PM EST

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Make sure phone works for 4g

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@GormleyCell Can you login to self-service account of that SIM to determine whether or not is was activated correctly? Try to use that sim in your another phone - will it work there? Let us know about results so we could assist further. Thanks!

@GormleyCell  That error means that the card is not activated. Are you sure you activated the correct sim card number? 

@GormleyCell  try switching the sim into the other phone to determine wether it's a phone problem or a PM SIM problem. Thanks.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Can you please switch the sims to test the second in the phone that confirmed works with pm

Welcome to pm

Atlantis7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Make sure your phone supports the same bands on both SIMs. Some phones do have this. For that try swapping your first sim and the second sim slot. Also try simply restarting the phone for any changes to take effect. Also try to put it in a different phone that you have around.

Cheers.

GormleyCell

I'm using the same phone make and model for both SIM cards.  The first phone worked within an hour, the second phone still isn't working 16 hours later.  The make/model is UMIDIGI A5 Pro.  I've tried re-iinstalling the SIM card a few times and have rebooted phone as well.

Thanks again for the help

@GormleyCell  20200424_173953.jpg

@GormleyCell  if its an iPhone, Try 2 things in order:

1. sync to iTunes
    1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
    2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
    3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
    4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
    5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
    6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.
  2. If this doesn't work reset your network settings 
    How to reset the network settings on my Apple iPhone
    1. Touch Settings.
    2. Touch General.
    3. Scroll to and touch Reset.
    4. Touch Reset Network Settings.
    5. Touch Reset Network Settings.
    6. The iPhone will reboot. Once it turns on, the default network settings will be restored.

Restart your phone of it doesnt do it, if it works, reenter your wifi password if applicable,  enable data, sms and mms to receive calls and texts from Android phones. 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@GormleyCell I would anticipate that you will have service shortly, no two ports are the same lol. My first port finished in 45mins. My second one for my wifes for was done in under 5 mins. I would have been concerned if the first one was 5min and the second one took longer. 

Try turning the phone off pulling out the SIM then re insert the SIM and turn the phone back on. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try removing and reinstalling the sim. Also reboot your phone.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The phone w/ the emergency call only symptom: did it previously work okay on a different network? New or used phone? Which model (as previous poster asked)? If it worked, are you sure the card is seated properly in the phone? Maybe take it out and ensure there's no dust/debris in there? We could use some more details to help you out better.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@GormleyCell welcome to PM. The message indicates that your cell isn't reading the sim card. What's the make and model of your phone? Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.