cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Public Mobile User

CindySiblock
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have received a Sim card from Public Mobile.... I am presently with Rogers who tell me that someone from Public Mobile must call them so I can keep the same phone #....

With no contact ability ( ie, there is no phone assistance #  at Public Mobile ) how am I supposed to get this done ? I am ready to insert the PM Sim Card and activate but need this contact info so I can complete the switch...

Please help

Thx

Cindy

39 REPLIES 39

CindySiblock

OK I will get another phone.... I will test my PM SIM cars in it before I purchase...

Thx for all your help.... if I knew that I would have this headache, I would have stayed with Rogers...

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@CindySiblock wrote:

Method: 2

1: Turn on phone with Orignal sim card.

2: Dial  #7465625*638*CODE#

3: Device is now unlocked.

To make sure if your phone is Unlocked now dial *#7465625# ,if all your security levels are off or disabled then your phone is completely Unlocked.

OK ....all 12 locks....ie. SIM lock, Network Lock etc. are all INACTIVE ( So from above it APPEAR LIKE MY PHONE IS COMPLTELY UNLOCKED

I followed all Method 2 above and now instead of Wrong Card.... my screen says  " Limited Srevice "

When I call my home telephone # I get the message Emergency Calls ONLY

By the way I have my PM SIM CARD inserted yet still the Rogers melody and cover pages appear even though they are not operational ? ... I obviously not technically aware... however as long as the Rogers info is still on THEN my PM SIM card is not doing anything ?

INTERESTING : after I typed the above I dialled my home phone # and my husbands cell phone and the #'s appeared on the screen with the phone ringing symbol .... in both cases a message came up NOT ALLOWED 

Did you miss my above Reply?

Your Phone is not compatible with Bellus Group of Companies including PM

CindySiblock

Method: 2

1: Turn on phone with Orignal sim card.

2: Dial  #7465625*638*CODE#

3: Device is now unlocked.

To make sure if your phone is Unlocked now dial *#7465625# ,if all your security levels are off or disabled then your phone is completely Unlocked.

OK ....all 12 locks....ie. SIM lock, Network Lock etc. are all INACTIVE ( So from above it APPEAR LIKE MY PHONE IS COMPLTELY UNLOCKED

I followed all Method 2 above and now instead of Wrong Card.... my screen says  " Limited Srevice "

When I call my home telephone # I get the message Emergency Calls ONLY

By the way I have my PM SIM CARD inserted yet still the Rogers melody and cover pages appear even though they are not operational ? ... I obviously not technically aware... however as long as the Rogers info is still on THEN my PM SIM card is not doing anything ?

INTERESTING : after I typed the above I dialled my home phone # and my husbands cell phone and the #'s appeared on the screen with the phone ringing symbol .... in both cases a message came up NOT ALLOWED 

chukdefatey

@makkahn28 wrote:

@chukdefatey, You are a Source of Info.

DECADE & half of wireless industry is my source 

chukdefatey

@Luddite wrote:

@chukdefatey Man where do you find that info? When I searched for specs could only find the GSM frequencies but never 3G or 2G.

I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THE WIRELESS INDUSTRY FOR OVER DECADE AND HALF SO BECAUSE OF THAT I JUST KNOW IT.

Once you receive your Tri-Sim, If you have a Handset that's compatible on the HSPA+4G Network, Then just follow the instructions on the Activate your Sim Card page.

Make sure that you have enough on your Credit Card/ Debit Credit Card or Payment Voucher prior to Activation

After Activation and choosing your Rate Plan(s) and 10, 30 or 90 Day Plan(s) date, Your all SET!!!

Handset is activated, and you're ready to go.

Also, Don't forget to create a Username for the Public Mobile Community so that you can help answer other Public Mobile Customers or ask if you're experiencing any issues, have any ideas to post, and more.

Also, if you have a Credit Card/ Visa/MasterCard Debit or AMEX, Registering this to your Public Mobile Self-Serve and setting up Auto-Pay can earn you $2 AutoPay Reward

If You Currently don't have a Compatible device, Look Here Below:

Telus (Online)

Apple

Google

Blackberry (BBM)

One + One

Alcatel

Costco

Google Nexus

Microsoft Store

@chukdefatey Man where do you find that info? When I searched for specs could only find the GSM frequencies but never 3G or 2G.

@CindySiblock To find a compatible phones check out the posts under "Phones and Hardware" and "Knowledge Base". Or post another question asking for help picking a phone that can do what you need. Seems you really just want phone calls so an inexpensive phone will do. It will make a difference to recommendations if you do decide to text as well.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@chukdefatey, You are a Source of Info.

@CindySiblock@chukdefatey is likely correct

You'll more than likely need to purchase another handset that will work on PM's HSPA+4G Network

chukdefatey

@CindySiblock, My Replies are always 100% Facts, unless there is more then one model of your j706 that I am aware of. This Phone is 2G Phone which means not matter what you do to it, it won't work with Bellus Group of Companies and that includes Public Mobile.

Since this is an older 2G Phone it needs to be unlocked in order to even use it on Fido 2G Network.

FYI: This Phone will only work with Rogers/Chatr 2G and once UNLOCKED on Fido until about 2016 till they decommissione the 2G Network

@CindySiblock Found these instructions for your phone: 

http://unlock.canadagsm.ca/samsung/rogers-Samsung-J706-network-imei-remote-unlock-cod/

Again stop if first attempt fails because too many attempts will lock phone permanently. You may need to go to a Rogers kiosk.

CindySiblock

All there is uner settings is :

1.Set sound profiles

2. Set Display

3.Set Time & Date

4.Set phone

5.Set calls

6.Set Connectivity

7.Set Applications

8. Reset Settings

9.Memory Status 

@Luddite, Please assist @CindySiblock, I am currently eating dinner.

Guide her through the step by step.

Tell her to do one step at a time abd report in each time

@CindySiblock, go to settings, and you will see wifi settings, here you switch off wifi

@CindySiblock Your Samsung SGH-J706 should have a keyboard that slides out, so you should be able to enter numbers?

@CindySiblock what Samsung Phone model you have?

CindySiblock

Can't locate Wi-Fi under wireless connections (ie. I can't find any heading for wireless connections (there is nothing in settings or tools )

I can do
1.    Insert Unauthorized Sim Card into device
2.    Power on the device

BUT 

Screen says Unregistered SIM so I can't get to #'s 3 & 4   .... ?

Model: Most New Samsung Model
3.    Enter Unlock Code when prompted
4.    Device should be unlock if "Code Accepted"

How To Unlock Samsung:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Make sure to turn off Wi-Fi under wireless connections to OFF for all Android Device before proceeding to entering the Unlock code. Our Samsung code process is 99.9% accurate if you provide the correct information. Therefore, a Video proof will be required if code error occur for verification. It is also good idea to film your unlocking process so I may help to troubleshoot the problem.

If you get "Network Unlock Unsuccessful" message. This is a known issue so not to worry. At the end of this instruction, there is a troubleshoot guide to help you resolve this issue.

if you need the step by step instructions, let me know. I'll paste them here for you

@CindySiblock, read this first:

How To Unlock Samsung:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Make sure to turn off Wi-Fi under wireless connections to OFF for all Android Device before proceeding to entering the Unlock code. Our Samsung code process is 99.9% accurate if you provide the correct information. Therefore, a Video proof will be required if code error occur for verification. It is also good idea to film your unlocking process so I may help to troubleshoot the problem.

If you get "Network Unlock Unsuccessful" message. This is a known issue so not to worry. At the end of this instruction, there is a troubleshoot guide to help you resolve this issue.

CindySiblock

OK .... I inserted the PM Sim Card as mentioned previuosly.... message is wrong card

The phone is a Samsung SGH-J706

@CindySiblock I suggest you start over by removing the PM SIM, reboot the phone, reinsert the SIM. At that point you should see a screen that says something like "enter code to unlock phone". You then enter the code thet Rogers sold you and the phone should unlock. If that fails DO NOT try it again until you double check the procedure to unlock your particular phone - what is it by he way?

BTW, what handset you have? depending on model, different approach

Here's what you do:

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION:

Insert PM Tr-Sim in Phone

CindySiblock

I just got off the phone with Rogers ... they unlocked my phone (which was 1 of the problems in switching to Public Mobile))

The other problem is : when I activated my SIM card, I was unaware that I ha to input a SIM unlock code ?  ( Didn't even know what that was )

Rogers gave me the SIM unlock code.

... now I need to input .... I don;t know how ?

I have the PM SIM card inserted and on the phone screen it says Wrong Card ... ?

Thank you everyone for your commentary on this issue.... I am making progress but still not able to use the phone ..... FYI for what it's worth, the phone will only be used as a phone .... no text etc.

Thx

Cindy

CindySiblock

OK thank you for your ur comments.... however, what do I need to do to get this issue fixed.

Either your Sim is Defect, your phone's Sub-Model frequency NOT compatible with the HSPA+4G Network, or Connection issue

CindySiblock

Rogers card works.... activated PM card : message says " wrong card " ?

If you unlock your phone, Maybe it will work

BUT, Remember: 

PM's Telus HSPA+4G Network has NO GSM 2G Fallback

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Most likely your phone is locked to Rogers.  Please try another phone.  Since you have ported the servie to Public Mobile, there is no more service in Rogers, and your original Rogers SIM does not work.  The compatibility function in Public Mobile does not check if the phone is unlocked or not.

CindySiblock

Yes, I checked if the phone is compatible and it is...

Went through the whole set up process and on profile is the old Rogers phone #, payment options

this is what I mean by everything was OK... that is I followed all steps and was "successful "

Put Rogers Sim card in and get same message as with PM Sim Card .... ie. " Insert Sim

with SOS below the Inser Sim on screen   ?

Here's another set, MUCH MORE detailed:

Welcome to Public Mobile

Enjoy

Need Help? Let's chat.