cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Google app Datally -- and also, my fastest ever network speed!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

So I just started trying out the new Datally app from Google.  It can do a number of things.  One is a data saver mode, which I won't be using as it needs to set up it's own VPN to do that, and I don't really need it.  Another is a list of local Wi-Fi, which is kinda cool.  You can see the results near my office in Yaletown (part of downtown Vancouver) here:

Screenshot_20171130-113905.jpg

There are of course other apps that can give you that info, and I won't use that much, either.  The one thing I DO want to try it for is real-time breakdown of your data usage.  I've literally just turned it on a few mins ago, so I don't really have any usage data to check out and share yet.  I'll check back on that later.

HOWEVER, in an effort to force some usage, I turned off WiFi and ran a speed test... ...and got the fastest speed I've ever personally seen of any of my tests:

Screenshot_20171130-114224.jpg

That is VERY fast mobile data!  This was on Band 7, I'm not sure if there was any CA going on.  I looked at my LTE Discovery widget right after the test and it didn't show any but it could have been active during the test maybe.

This was done on my OnePlus 5T.  It appears to have significantly faster connection than my previous OnePlus 3.  Just wanted to share.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
8 REPLIES 8

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@ckl my first modem on my Commodore 64 (or was it even my Vic 20??) was 300 baud...but it sure was fun at the time!

Yeah, those were fun times indeed!

srlawren

@stonechucker 🙂 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

interesting! will give this a try!

@srlawren, almost my life you had!

Vic20, mom won it on a local AM radio show.  7 years later, got the Amiga 1000, with a 1200 baud modem.  Then that modem super-fried one night I was BBSing, I was getting 19200 speeds, and it didn't work the next day 😞

I miss tradewars on the BBS.  So much fun in a text based RPG.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Lol. This reminds me of Back To The Future! 🙂

srlawren

@ckl my first modem on my Commodore 64 (or was it even my Vic 20??) was 300 baud.  From there I went to a 1200 baud, then 2400.  I never bothered with 9600, but did jump on the 14.4 bandwagon, and later 56k, before moving on to broadband cable.  BBS'ing back then was interesting--nothing but text interfaces and *cough*pirated*cough* C64 games downloaded to floppies, but it sure was fun at the time!

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren

I was going to create a topic on this but you beat me to it.

Anyway, a good review of the app is here:

https://gizmodo.com/google-s-new-app-stops-your-android-phone-from-sucking-1820879455

I think how this app will be useful for PM users, judging from past forum posts, is that it tracks data usage by hour,day, or month for each individual app. It also lets you assign data allotments by app and restrict background data when a limit is reached.

Thanks to PM and their discontinued 4GB/month plan, I don't have a use for this app yet.

Now, if only Google would release an app that controlled battery usage for apps and their associated background processes, then that is definitly something I would download.

EDIT> Wow. that is fast download for sure. To put that into perspective, 160Mbits/s=20MB/s or 1.2GB/minute. If you are on the 12GB/90day plan, you'd blow through that limit in about 10 minutes.

It's hard to imagine that when I was in school back in the late 80's or so, we had the blazing speed of 2400baud which is 0.0096Mbps

srlawren

UPDATE:  I have deleted the app.  Even when I set up the VPN, it didn't seem to want to recognize any data usage no matter what I tried.  So, since I don't care about finding public WiFi networks or trying to save data (I can already restrict apps from using data with OxygenOS), there was no reason to keep it around.

Your mileage may vary.  If you happen to try and have better luck, please do let me know!

Need Help? Let's chat.