cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Competitor

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Happened to see a sports car with a hoarding of a new mobile company in town. It's called sugar mobile. Actually was quite amused to see it the other day near my apartment.

Took help from my friend Google and saw the plans of this new entrant.

Apparently, it runs on ice/rogers network.

I found the business model to be quite similar to PM. It's a no-frills operator. But the plans, coverage, and data network are nowhere even close to what PM offers.

But I can safely say be it sugar or be it sour, no one can beat PM in their coverage and plans.

P.S. If this post is inappropriate in this forum, I will delete it. I am not sure but wanted to post it for general awareness.

11 REPLIES 11

paulie

Bring on a promo PM !   Grab those customers that are looking for great price/plans while they are looking to port out. 

jpar

@kav2001c wrote:

Well Rogers wins the day

CRTC agrees with Rogers and orders full shutdown of Sugar Mobile network and penalty to Ice.

There are over 5000 subscribers now with no service soon

Welcome to Public Mobile!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sugar-mobile-rogers-telus-bell-cellphone-crtc-1.4004569

Ahh, quashing competition is no good for the consumer..

paulie

Careful with "SugarMobile" .   I tried them and then it was a nightmare porting out from them. took a full week !   Had to carry two phones around for calling on one while the other was for texting.  No fun. 

Well Rogers wins the day

CRTC agrees with Rogers and orders full shutdown of Sugar Mobile network and penalty to Ice.

There are over 5000 subscribers now with no service soon

Welcome to Public Mobile!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sugar-mobile-rogers-telus-bell-cellphone-crtc-1.4004569

@stonechucker it *only* carries over if you top up early (eg every 29 days for a 30 day plan) otherwise it is a use it or lose it plan

They also do bonus data (eg 15% extra for refer or if you let them spam your facebook & twitter pages)

@kav2001c wrote:

@neo911 the big differentiator is the fact they sell a SIM card with data & overlay a local phone number (oddly enough the Sugar SIM comes with 2 cell phone numbers; the true number which you can't use as it is data only & the virtual number you call with the app)

Remember most WiFi apps are not too user friendly for an average consumer. Sugar tries to bridge this, and if app was more stable would not be a bad option.

But $19 for 200MB is just not reasonable.

That last point, I think on their Sugar service, the left over data does carry over to next "cycle" because the service never really dies, until you fully depleare the data allotment on the SIM.  If you don't forget to buy the booster recharge (no SIM, just recharging data) you wouldn't in theory run out.

@neo911 the big differentiator is the fact they sell a SIM card with data & overlay a local phone number (oddly enough the Sugar SIM comes with 2 cell phone numbers; the true number which you can't use as it is data only & the virtual number you call with the app)

Remember most WiFi apps are not too user friendly for an average consumer. Sugar tries to bridge this, and if app was more stable would not be a bad option.

But $19 for 200MB is just not reasonable.

neo911

@stonechucker @kav2001c ohh so its basically a wifi calling app and the sim card just provides data connection. not sure whats the differentiation factor here for this mobile co. !

not sure if anyone would really want such a service. even students would not want this.

For that matter

I am curious @neo911

Sugar offers 200MB for WiFi calling at $19

Fido offers 3GB for WiFi calling at $15

Cat Frustrated

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

I've used Sugar Mobile

Not at all impressed Cat Mad

The Bad:

You need to use their app to place any calls or send any txt messages

They pitch it as use WiFi for unlimited calls but app is really poor at keeping connection, you WILL get kicked off the network often

They only give you 200MB with the plan

Not compatible with a whole bunch of phones

Terrible activation process (I used 4 different numbers for my testing)

The Good:

Really nice phone numbers are available (*hint worth an activation just to port them over to Public Cat Wink )

You DON'T need to use their SIM card (buy the 200MB plan, then take Sugar SIM out & put your Public SIM in; not only do you now have your 6GB of data for 90 days but speeds / reliability are much improved + way more talk time now)

@neo911 new sports car? Man a broken down jalopy would be a better analogy. Same idea as 8Com, Ice, Chil Telecom or any other number of small guys

Public will run laps around this carrier

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I've been following this for a few months, it was an option foro me.

Rogers is complaining to the CTRC or the other body (can't remember right now), saying it is a vilolation of their contract, and Rogers wants to terminate it.

Ice who owns Sugar, says it's not a violation.

With Sugar, it's essentially the fongo app installed, and you do everything except data via the app.  Your monthly or top up data fee gives you X number celluar data per top up, and you can use the data anytime you're not in a WiFi zone, other wise you use WiFi.

Great, cheap, and easy.

I was tempted.

Need Help? Let's chat.