cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Network sharing explained!

@Bill1
That's a Bell tower with old CDMA equipment operating at 1900 MHz (channel size 1.25 MHz). Once Bell and Telus agreed to jointly build their new 3G network, this area became Telus territory. As a result, only Telus is deploying 3G and LTE in Laurier Station. They just happen to share that tower with Bell CDMA. I believe the Telus 1900 MHz is for 3G only (channel size is 5 MHz).

Makes sense now?

@echf
Believe it or not, 5G (NR, or "New Radio") is not going to replace LTE, at least not for a very long time. LTE is already extremely efficient and doing a good job meeting traffic growth demand. Another important point to consider is that 5G specifications are only being finalized now, and commercial deployments won't be seen until 2020 or so.

From what I've seen so far, 5G spectrum will be very high frequency (3.5 GHz, 28 GHz, mmWave etc.) and have extremely large bandwidth (100+ MHz for one channel). Massive MIMO will be utilized as well (64T64R radios on the base station). This increases capacity tremendously, but the high frequency reduces coverage as I have explained before. For basic coverage, we will be living with LTE for a long time. For super fast speeds, 5G will overlap with existing LTE areas, but a lot more 5G sites will be needed as you have stated.

I'm sure Bell and Telus's partnership would help them against Rogers if they chose to continue with their arrangement.

Similar to LTE-A, which was a collection of new features, LTE-A Pro also refers to a collection of features (3GPP Release 13 or newer). The main focus is providing a smooth upgrade path to 5G, along with smart device connectivity (NB-IoT and eMTC). Yes, it's coming to Canada soon, all the operators are testing and conducting trials to see how well these features work in real life.

_20170419_110234.JPG

Good overview from Qualcomm here:

https://www.qualcomm.com/invention/technologies/lte/advanced-pro

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Network sharing basics

I am the only one cant understand? lol

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A big big thank you, sheytoon. You're the master !!!   

@zmh1175
Is there anything specific you'd like to be clarified?

@sheytoon

Bell just announced their plans to launch "Quad Band Carrier LTE". Do you know if Telus/Koodo users will be getting access to that? As well, how will Bell achieve this new LTE aggregation?

@edward203203
Yes, Telus/Koodo/PM users can use it the same way, as long as they have the right phone. I'm not sure if Bell's S8 has exclusive software from Samsung or not, but if someone were to buy the Bell version, unlock it, and use it on Telus, it would work exactly the same as on Bell.

The official news release is here:
http://www.bce.ca/news-and-media/releases/show/The-fastest-wireless-gets-faster-Bell-Mobility-networ...

They will be aggregating 4 bands for a total of 75 MHz bandwidth. Include 256 QAM on all 4 bands and you will reach approximately 750 Mbps.

A very last question for Sheytoon !!!

It's  about VIRGIN MOBILE.

My son has his phone with Virgin. With the app "Signal info", the app said  that the network connected is : Virgin. If the phone receive the signal  302-610, why it doesn't say : Bell ???

Is it because it's à Virgin sim card  ??? When it connect to the core network is it the same mecanic if it was à Bell ???  Thank you for the answer 

@Bill1
Yes, it's the SIM card that translates 302-610 to display Virgin Mobile. The network is 100% identical to Bell. Even the APN is the same as Bell users.

Hey @sheytoon,

I just want to confirm before purchasing a Xiaomi Rednote 4... This phone has access to 2600MHZ and I only have Bell towers in my city. I saw someone mention in another thread that PM may not have access to this frequency on Bell Towers. Is this hogwash?

Thanks!