cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network name

rajojomanik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I've had my SIM for 2 weeks now, it was originally Telus.

My network name is showing Telus rather than Public Mobile. I've tried searching and no public mobile on the list and I've also rebooted a few times.

I was just wondering if there's a way to force it to public mobile.
8 REPLIES 8

KK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
@rajojomanik
I am glad the PM Community members could assist you. It is helpful if you mark your issue as solved. 😊

In the original message, you've said the card is Telus, or at least that's how I interpret your message.

is the physical SIM card labelled Telus?  As far as I knew, that should not connect to Public Mobile, as it's not the Carrier branded sim.

please someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

rajojomanik
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was so much concern with it showing Telus since my service was working well and my APN settings were set to PM.  I just wanted to know if I needed to do something with my phone.  Anyway thank you all for your replies.

JUNA1D5HAH
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@computergeek541 is correct.
It all depends on the phone.
PM runs on the Telus Network.
Even if your phone said PM, it is still running on the Telus Network.

I wouldn't worry about it.  It's the same network.

Each network broadcasts a network identification number such as 302-220.  The phone's software will have that network code MCC/MNC programmed in and will display the name as programmed by the sofware.  Some (many) sim cards from various carriers includes instructions in them to override the phone's preprogrammed network names.  But for the network name to be masked as "Public Mobile", the phone actually has to be programmed to follow the sim card's wishes to rename the Telus network. If the phone's sofware isn't set to do that, simply "TELUS" or "302-220" will be displayed as the netowrk name.

The short answer: This is all dependent on the your phone's software, and there aren't any settings to fiddle with when it comes to this.  Unless a different ROM is installed on the phone, you won't be able to change this behavior.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

FWIW, I used my SIM in a tablet to perform a SIM unlock.  After the unlock, the network name was Telus.  The same SIM in my phone shows Public Mobile.  In both cases, the device connects to the network.

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi

check your APN settings ..

cheers

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I've heard of some people's phones showing Telus, some showing Public Mobile. As long as your service works well, why would it matter?

Need Help? Let's chat.