cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about switching...

rob79
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm currently a Koodo Prepaid customer. My rollover date is coming up, I have a PM SIM card (2 actually, I ordered one for me and one for someone else, but didn't give it to them yet), so I want to switch.

All that said, I'm *really* worried something is going to screw up after reading all the forum posts.

Have any of you switched in the last few days? Is porting from Koodo Prepaid still a major headache?

The price seems almost too good to be true, and there are plenty of horror stories here, so I'm worried. I can't go a week without my phone...

Thanks.

54 REPLIES 54

@rob79 As creator of this thread, you can feel free to mark any post as an "accepted solution". Once you do this, it marks the thread as "solved", letting the rest of the community know that the question pertaining to the thread has been answered.

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
I don't see the option to click accept as solution when I do you will know

@cb_b42001

Oh, I realize why now! You didn't create this thread, *I* did :). You replied to an old thread.

The "Accept as Solution" button only appears to the person who creates the thread. I didn't even realize that we were chatting on an old thread :).

cb_b42001
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I don't see the option to click accept as solution when I do you will know

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
rob79 I can't seem to find what you asked

@cb_b42001

No worries! Just so you know, there are 2 buttons near the bottom of every post on the community forums: the "Bravo" button, and the "Accept as solution" button. 

If a post solves your problem, you can click the "Accept as solution" button, and that way the next time somebody visits the thread with the same question, they can quickly find the answer without having to read through the whole thread.

The "Bravo" button is just like saying "Thanks".

They give trophy's on your accounts page as well. The more trophy's you get, the more rewards you get. You'll get the hang of it eventually :).

cb_b42001
rob79 I can't seem to find what you asked

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
We're so happy to have you as part of our happy family

cb_b42001
Thanks alot for the patients links and insight. Happy to be new to PM I will spread the word. Thanks.

rob79

@srlawren

It's one of those things. If the SIM card was put in at the store when the person bought the phone (maybe years ago) people totally forget about them. Especially if the phone is always in a case that covers up the slot on the side...

So many phones now don't allow people to open them up to change the batteries, insert SD cards, etc, that it's easy to think "This phone doesn't open, so there is nowhere to put the SIM card"... I recently had almost the exact same conversation with my neice... Her phone was acting weird and I was like "Maybe you need a new SIM" and she's like "This phone doesn't have a SIM"... I was like "of course it has a SIM, it's an iPhone from Rogers..." :).

srlawren

Glad you guys got this one sorted out, @cb_b42001 and @rob79!  I was just reading through all the back and forth messages and thinking... if it worked on Rogers, it absolutely HAS to have a SIM card slot!  Rogers has been GSM/HSPA/LTE for a very long time and their only non-SIM cards were the old TDMA phones from like the mid-1990's.  🙂  Glad it's all working!

Welcome to PM, cb_b42001!  😄

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
OMG I am such a twit. Thank you for the link. I got it and it works. Thank you alot 🙂 🙂

Haha! No problem! If you've never had to change a SIM card before then I totally understand why you wouldn't even know there was a SIM card slot on that phone :).

Congrats!

Rockdaddy22
So happy to hear that 🙂 Welcome to PM

cb_b42001
OMG I am such a twit. Thank you for the link. I got it and it works. Thank you alot 🙂 🙂

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
Samsung Android nexus5 6.0

Alright. I'm a little confused. The Nexus 5 wasn't made by Samsung, it was made by LG.

If you have a Nexus 5, this is how you change the SIM card: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6102380?hl=en

If you have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, this is how you change the SIM: http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smartphones_and_mobile_internet/Galaxy_Nexus.how_to_insert_and_remov...

One other thing. Did you get this phone from Rogers? If so, it may be locked to the Rogers network, in which case you would have to call them to get it unlocked. 

Try the SIM card first. If none of the links above make sense, please clarify what type of phone it is.

cb_b42001
Samsung Android nexus5 6.0

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
OK well it works for sure I have another phone that takes sim cards. As for this phone I checked with the *#16# or rather Nd it says yes it will work. I'm lost. 😞

@cb_b42001

Okay, that's good! Don't worry just yet. If the link says that your phone will work, it will work.

What type of phone is it?

cb_b42001
OK well it works for sure I have another phone that takes sim cards. As for this phone I checked with the *#16# or rather Nd it says yes it will work. I'm lost. 😞

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
My phone does not even open to change the battery it does not take sim cards

@cb_b42001

Okay, that's a problem. Are you 100% sure your phone is compatible with PM? You need to be able to put your Public Mobile SIM card in the phone in order for it to work.

What type of phone do you have? Visit this link: http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started and click the "Check My Phone" button. That way you can see if your phone is compatible. If it's not compatible, you will have to buy a new phone or contact PM to request a refund and cancel your account.

cb_b42001
My phone does not even open to change the battery it does not take sim cards

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
Yes my account was verified. I have a new number. My account says it is active. Will it work once I leave Rogers company?

Is it working now? Your PM account has nothing to do with your Rogers account.

If it says your account is active and paid for, then try putting the SIM card in your phone and see if you can make a call using your new number. If you can, then you're done. You can call Rogers and cancel your account with them (which will cancel the phone number you have with Rogers as well).

cb_b42001
Yes my account was verified. I have a new number. My account says it is active. Will it work once I leave Rogers company?

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
Do I absolutely have to port? I did not give any of my Rogers info I simply asked for a new number. I activated my PM account as a new client.

@cb_b42001

No, you definitely do not have to port, you will just have a brand new number. Is that what you want? To have a new number?

If so, then you should already be active. If you're not, try turning your phone off and on again.

cb_b42001
Do I absolutely have to port? I did not give any of my Rogers info I simply asked for a new number. I activated my PM account as a new client.

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
I asked for a new number. I have switched over from Rogers mobility. It says my account is activated and paid. my Rogers is not disconnected yet but how do I know for sure when Rogers is shut I will still have my phone

@cb_b42001

Let me get my head around this: when you signed up for PM, you asked for a new number, correct? If so, did you put in your Rogers number and account info anywhere? If you didn't do that, your Rogers number is not going to be brought to your PM account.

You have to "port" your Rogers number to PM in order to keep using it. Your Rogers account has to be active in order to start the porting process. 

If you did put your Rogers information in when you created your PM account, it should take 2-4 hours for your Rogers number to transfer to PM.

cb_b42001
I asked for a new number. I have switched over from Rogers mobility. It says my account is activated and paid. my Rogers is not disconnected yet but how do I know for sure when Rogers is shut I will still have my phone

rob79

@cb_b42001 wrote:
I am new to PM and am wondering how long will it take to activate my phone number. It is Friday and I can not go aday with out my phone it is for work.

@cb_b42001

Hi CB. So I've done *a lot* of reading about this over the past few months and it seems there is no one right answer to this question.

First, are you getting a new number or porting a number from another provider?

If you're getting a new number, setup should be practically instant. If you're bringing a cell phone number from a different provider, expect it to take 2-4 hours in most cases. If you're bringing a landline number, it can take 5-7 days.

Regarding porting in a cell number: which provider you're coming from also makes a difference. Most people find that porting in from Koodo PREPAID, and PC Mobile can take more than 2-4 hours. Sometimes it can take a couple of days if your account requires special attention.

Hope this helps.

cb_b42001
I am new to PM and am wondering how long will it take to activate my phone number. It is Friday and I can not go aday with out my phone it is for work.

ladycandy
No because I have to go back boxing day and work for full boxing week. can't even do boxing week shopping deals for me 😞 which is kinda upsetting since I love boxing week shopping thats when I start my next year's Christmas shopping.

Rockdaddy22
Must be nice, my last day of work before the holidays is the 23rd 😞

ladycandy
I do right now as I'm on time off for Christmas Holidays.

Rockdaddy22
You must have a lot of time on your hands
Need Help? Let's chat.