cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need super cheap emergency plan?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

PM’s $10/30 plan is a real “no brainer” for emergency service, and, when on autopay, is just $8. Plus if it’s in your family someone can have the referral - making it just $7/30 days, and the SIM free.

However if you wish to be even more frugal (when does frugal become cheap? Robot LOL) read on.

My son and I use giffgaff for this because:

a) activation cost is £10, plus £5 bonus if you have me send you a SIM (to do so contact me by private message Private Messages - viewing and creating)

b) SIM is free, delivered worldwide

c) maintaining the account/phone number costs just £0.6/year for sending two SMS

d) incoming SMS are free

e) other services are expensive (but it is just for desperate times Robot wink😞 calling £1/minute (so ugly!!), SMS £0.3/msg, MMS £0.24/msg but restricted to 300 kb, data £0.2/mb (also ugly). BTW: that data cost equates to about £0.1/minute using https://www.fongo.com for calls.

That’s it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
6 REPLIES 6

@CalgaryBen, thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out later.  From what I've overheard hear, our vendors don't have LTE ready equipment yet to meet our needs, but the 3G tech is available.

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Also 911 always works even if the account is not paid or suspended.You could leave an expired sim card with a cheap backup phone for $0 per month.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

@CalgaryBen, be aware, I've heard through folks at work that Rogers is removing the 2G network early in 2019.

Ah yes, this is true, and a good point!  Actually the 2G GSM/GPRS network will be around until December 2020, but it's days are still numbered, for sure. (Ref: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/rogers-extends-availability-of-gsm-gprs-network-to-december-2020).

Unlike the sunsetting of CDMA, I won't be rejoicing quite as much with the shutdown of 2G/2.5G, but definitely understand carrier's needs to decommission EOL equipment...

We use the 2G network in GPS vehicle and equipment tracking devices and need to replace units as Rogers will no longer be able to provide the service on the 2G technology.

It seems like we work in similar industries (asset tracking and vehicle track & trace)!  Fortunately all equipment my company has deployed in Canada is HSPA or LTE, but we're dealing with the VZW Dec 2019 CDMA shutdown in the US, and needing to migrate equipment over...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have a solution that is $0 and comes with a phone number.  Get a google voice number (continental US numbers only) and that will all give you access to messaging and phone calls from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world using either of WiFi or mobile data.  People make such a big deal about the availability of WiFi calling.  That has been available via google voice long before any carrier introduced the feature.

@CalgaryBen, be aware, I've heard through folks at work that Rogers is removing the 2G network early in 2019.

We use the 2G network in GPS vehicle and equipment tracking devices and need to replace units as Rogers will no longer be able to provide the service on the 2G technology.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Agreed on the $10/30 days plan!

Totally don't mean to rain on your parade on the cheap emergency phone plan, but have you ever looked into 7-Eleven SpeakOut for this? Initial costs are a bit higher ($10 SIM, plus minimum $25/yr), but it gives you a local number with per-minute talk and SMS rates that aren't so ugly. Good option for emergency phone, plus quite suitable for many of the kid-trackers and cheap Chinese phone watches which are 2G GSM, so will only work on the Rogers network (which SpeakOut runs on).

Need Help? Let's chat.