cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a refund looking to switch to new providers

Momok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m looking to switch to freedom because they are offering 4x the data for just $10 more than I pay now. How would I get a refund of my unused paid months in Public? I’m happy with the service just tired of getting data warnings.

16 REPLIES 16

@VERYANGRY wrote:

Please cancel my account and refund my money.  The customer service here sucks. Transfering my number has been a pain. No mods ever respond. I will stick to Koodo.    

Could you start a new topic and we will assist.

Go to Community, at the bottom choose the best category that represents your situation (Not Knowledge Base), click orange target at top "Start a Topic".
Please include as much information as you can about your situation.

VERYANGRY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please cancel my account and refund my money.  The customer service here sucks. Transfering my number has been a pain. No mods ever respond. I will stick to Koodo.    

@MacMe wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

I'm wondering about the 4x the data for $10 more part.  Which plans are you comparing?

I think he's comparing the 2.5GB for $40 Public Mobile previously offered to FM's 10GB for $50.

Maybe.  But how can a plan that includes calling be fairly compared to one that doesn't?

Freedom network is still lacking to say the least

The only thing that's good is the fact they are now allowing Canadian roaming which gives you access in some locations that Telus does not (Rogers network)

In my experiences with Rogers, WIND, and PublicMobile, the best service, including quality, quantity, costs, has been Public Mobile.

The 3G speed plans here, run on the LTE network, throttled to speeds just over the max of real 3G.  The latency of the LTE alone is a great benefit.

As mentioned above, any of the $40, $45, or $50 3G speed plans on the 30 day plan would serve you better.  I don’t know where you are located, but if I travel just 10 minutes outside of Brantford Ontario, the Freedom network switches to AWAY, and charges an arm and a leg in per use fees.  PM doesn’t have this problem.

ultimately, it’s your choice.  But I know I’m staying within the Telus run environment of Public Mobile.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

I'm wondering about the 4x the data for $10 more part.  Which plans are you comparing?

I think he's comparing the 2.5GB for $40 Public Mobile previously offered to FM's 10GB for $50.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Here's a recent testimonial that drainfr is still not ready for prime time.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/opinions-freedom-mobile-formerly-wind-mobile-1725817/78/

As to your question, sorry, but you're not going to receive any refund.

From everything that I can find on plans offered by Freedom Mobiile, there's almost no reason to sign up with them unless you want LTE speeds or a device subsidy.

Public Mobile's current 3g speeds plans with Canada wide calling, texts, 4.5, 5.5, or 6.5GB at $40/$45/$50 are very competive to Freedom Mobie's current price plans.  Freedom does have a $50 calls, texts, and 5GB (8GB for first 24 months), but you'd be really only gaining LTE speeds and U.S. long distace compared to Public Mobile's current plans.  Freedom Mobile does have a bunch of 25% discount codes going around but not everyone can get those.

I would say quality (network) is much more important than quantity (in this case,  data speeds).

@Momok wrote:

That’s for 3G? I’m really only interested in LTE. Freedom is concerning... I was with them and didn’t find it great. But public never responded to me when I first signed up and didn’t get the bonus double data so I’ve never been happy with them since that time. I should have 4 gigs as it is but I only have 2vand Public has never addressed that. Now they would hold me hostage to this prepaid no refund policy. I’m not a fan of not honouring a deal in the beginning then beating someone over the head with a policy when they go. 

The service is good but I need more data and I need them to honour what they should have given me from the start or let me go with my money. All they offer is prepaid service.

I don't believe for a minute that you had a certain agreement that was not honored.  From everything I have seen, they will flex to accommodate the customer.  What was it that you thought you signed up for but wasn't what you thought you saw?  This service is essentially self serve.  It is pretty hard for someone else to get it wrong for you.  We have had a recent discussion on the importance of full speed LTE vs 3G and the general consensus is it doesn't really matter for the few gigs we consume each month.  Anyway, your question has been answered.  Enjoy your time at freedom. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think it would be best to try out Freedom Mobile while you are still using Public Mobile.  As already said, it is doubtful you are going to get a refund on the unused amount anyway.  I say this because Freedom Mobile does not use as robust a network as Public Mobile.  Freedom Mobile might still be good enough for you, but I would strongly recommend you test the Freedom Mobile network in the areas you will be before you commit to Freedom Mobile.  If it works out, you can port out when you are out of credit at Public Mobile.   If it does not work out, it is easy enough to cancel Freedom Mobile, as long as you did not commit to a long term contract.

Momok
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That’s for 3G? I’m really only interested in LTE. Freedom is concerning... I was with them and didn’t find it great. But public never responded to me when I first signed up and didn’t get the bonus double data so I’ve never been happy with them since that time. I should have 4 gigs as it is but I only have 2vand Public has never addressed that. Now they would hold me hostage to this prepaid no refund policy. I’m not a fan of not honouring a deal in the beginning then beating someone over the head with a policy when they go. 

The service is good but I need more data and I need them to honour what they should have given me from the start or let me go with my money. All they offer is prepaid service.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Momok, what plan have you got right now?  The $40 for 4.5GB plan is pretty well priced.  As for freedom, I can tell you that you are going to be tired of no signal or congested network.  I know, been there twice.  That's why I am here.  As others have mentioned, there's no refunds.  I can't believe you are in such a hurry to go to a totally inferior service that you can't finish what you paid for here before leaving.  

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I wouldn't bother the moderators about this. I've only heard of refunds in the case of errors or exceptional circumstances, but this clearly isn't one of them. In fact, wanting to leave early for a better deal elsewhere would be the least qualified reason for a refund.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No need to contact mods. They will not refund unused portions of a plan, especially if you are simply wanting to port out.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Momok You'll lose your money as this is prepaid service no refund available for that reason. But you can switch to Freedom Mobile after this plan expire.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Momok wrote:

I’m looking to switch to freedom because they are offering 4x the data for just $10 more than I pay now. How would I get a refund of my unused paid months in Public? I’m happy with the service just tired of getting data warnings.

You can contact a moderator however normally there is no refunds for prepaid service. 

Have you used freedom/wind before. I switched to PM from freedom and the service is night and day ahead for PM. I had 5GB/unlimited throttled with freedom but couldn't use even 1gb if I tried. And voice quality was not up to par.

Need Help? Let's chat.