cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Name display

kassicho
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I set up my name to be displayed instead of my number at the receiving end..(without being in their contacts list?)

thanx

9 REPLIES 9

BenKayfetz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Did you end up testing by swapping sim cards?

laurenb88
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JenniferM wrote:

I have 2 phones on Public Mobile, both using iPhone. with identical plans.  The iPhone 5s does not transmit my name, only my number.  The iPhone SE transmits my full name. Could the difference be in the settings?

@JenniferM did you port the numbers into Public Mobile from carriers that do/don't store your name?  I'm guessing the iPhone SE is using a number that was formerly on a carrier that delivers caller name (e.g. Rogers and subsidiaries, or a landland provider).  It's most likely that your name is still in a name lookup database, and that's what's showing up when you call someone.

If you swapped SIM cards between your 5s and SE, you'll find that the name display follows the subscription/line, and not the phone.

PM will only show your phone number for call display.  If the other person you are calling has your name saved in their contacts list then it would display your name.

JenniferM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have 2 phones on Public Mobile, both using iPhone. with identical plans.  The iPhone 5s does not transmit my name, only my number.  The iPhone SE transmits my full name. Could the difference be in the settings?

While Public Mobile customer receive incoming "Name Display" informatoin, I do not believe that Telus/Public Mobile transmits outgoing information at all.  So sorry, there's no option to change your displayed name.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@kassicho wrote:

Can I set up my name to be displayed instead of my number at the receiving end..(without being in their contacts list?)

thanx

@kassicho

PM doesn't have the option to customize this. Not sure what kind of phone you have but this was someone else's solution, might not work for every case, but might work for some phones that use the Internet caller id service whom you call

@hadi wrote:

Hello all,

I appreciate the help I got from all your responses. In the end, I got a working solution from the mods. Here's what they said:

@CS_Agentwrote

Thanks for clarifying  

Most phones use third party info from the internet for caller id. After reviewing your account, I saw that you have a Samsung phone. We found the service they use for caller ID.

You can fill out this form to update your caller id here https://hiyahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=824667

That should fix it! If you need help with anything else, please do let us know.

Hope that helps!

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kassicho wrote:

thanx

As far as I know, only Rogers post-paid customers can customize the outgoing caller name.  All other carriers (including PM) only deliver your number.

(Ref: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/wireless-caller-id-call-display-and-name-display-faq...)

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I don't think so.

Need Help? Let's chat.