cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Na Na Hey Hey Kiss PM Goodbye - UPDATED

el56
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

So I made the leap. I took advantage of the Koodo offer of $40 for 6GB. I write this both to explain why I did it, describe the process and what I gained and lost by the move.

WHY:

I was truly unnerved by the announcement of the intended price increase less than two years after I originally signed on for the $120/12GB per quarter offer, especially given the explicit promise that the rate would never change. While PM walked back on it, the explanation of "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today" indicates that the rollback is only temporary. Regardless of how long before the inevitable rate increase does happen, trust is gone.

HOW:

In addition to multiple text messages, I received a personal phone call from a nearby Koodo store. I finally made the jump when the last text message upped the offer to 6GB per month for the same as I pay at PM for 4GB. I went over to that same Koodo store and the changeover took about a half hour. I walked out with a working Koodo SIM card, and my number transferred on the spot.

WHAT I GAINED:

• 2GB more per month
  • Free Canada-wide calling (the PM plan was province-wide)
  • International roaming capability (flat per-day or per-minute/MB)
  • Real-time human voice support at the other end of 611
  • A $100 credit
  • I could swear that I have faster speed (my phone indicated HSPA+, on PM I never had the +)
  • (what I perceive to be) a more stable brand
  • The ability to buy new phones, slightly discounted and with about $500 of the cost split into no-interest payments over two years 

WHAT I GAVE UP:

• Two remaining months of my last quarterly prepayment (offset by the $100 credit)
  • My prepaid US-calling (about half of my $15 addon was unused).
  • PM's LD rates are slightly cheaper but it has to be prepaid in blocks. (Koodo is PAYG for LD). And of course the rest of Canada isn't LD anymore.
  • $6/month discounts for referrals, autopay and loyalty (updated, see below)
  • This support forum
  • Had to pay $17 upfront for the SIM card (but at least it was installed for me)

OTHER NOTES:

• I asked for the Chinese New Year calling discount. The clerk at the store couldn't activate it because it wasn't available on his setup screen. He said I might be able to get it by calling 311 soon, this is an unadvertised special and may in the end be unavalable with this promotional plan. (No matter, I have WhatsApp and WeChat Man Happy )
  • By the time I got home my PM self-serve account had been deactivated so I can't even use it to see prior bills or usage. My forum account, obviously, still works. But this is a nasty move by PM since I can't see past billing or usage.

So the deed is done. Frankly, I'm not a fan of this "fake" competition. Bell owns Virgin and Lucky, Rogers owns Fido and Chatr, and of course Telus owns Koodo and Public. i can't think of any other country that has so many brands with so few owners (and so little real competition). But that rant can wait for another day.

Anyway, I hope that anyone else considering the move finds this helpful.

UPDATE: Apparently Koodo has its own referral system, but it's not publicized much. It doesn't work the same way, a flat $100 account credit for both referrer and referree at the time of sign-up (must be done before activation), rather than recurring credit, up to $300/year. Here is my referral code, I have no idea if it works with the PM upgrade promotion.

17 REPLIES 17

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi to Remaining Ones and Those planning to leave,

I would like to add a few things to what @el56 already nicely described.

You shuldn't be worrying whether they are going to increase your rate in the future but quite opposite. When you switch, you sign agreement that you're going to pay any outstanding charges (overages, roaming fees and so on) but also you are locking yourself for life at that rate. It means when you put your account on seasonal hold or put your phone on a wrong tab in the future you will lose you plan.

Another advice that I can give you:

If you qualified, you can go to any Koodo's store including corporate. If you know how and what to say they are sometimes willing to wave cost of the Sim Card for you. It is not guaranteed hundred percent but it happens occasionally.

@Canada407wrote:

I'm kinda annoyed that because I'm on the 15 gigs for $180/90 days (Promo I got having issues with them), I am ineligible, I don't think I'd change but I still wish I atleast had the option seeing as the family I live with is with Koodo & lives by them. I think it should be for everyone on PM

Those days are long gone. Robot Mad

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@el56 Yes, your referral code will work as soon as your Koodo account is active. Do consider joining: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Need-Koodo-Referral-Code/m-p/....

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Public has so much potential, Tel Us is NOT realizing the potential, JUST the Profits, which is WAY TOO grotesque for even Canadians to fatham.

UNLESS you're Mr. O'leary Wonderful

pizza
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Xevynwrote:

@pizzawrote:

When I went to Koodo, the sim was $15+tax, so $17.25 for me.

It doesn't sound like this user was "charged for his ignorance." 

Were you not able to use the free SIM code in store?

Apparently, you can use PM-SIM-0 to get a free sim:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/6GB-for-40-now-being-offered-for-Koodo-sw...

I'm honestly not sure. I didn't ask, I didn't know it was an option. I went the day after PM sent their first message -- before saying "oh wait we won't increase the prices." I just went to buy the SIM and was going to switch plans on my own the next day. 

I've actually since had PM credit me the $15 for the SIM... But that won't help if/when I switch over to Koodo in the near future...

Xevyn

@pizzawrote:

Were you not able to use the free SIM code in store?

Apparently, you can use PM-SIM-0 to get a free sim:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/6GB-for-40-now-being-offered-for-Koodo-sw...

el56

Hi there.

@majsiddiquiwrote:

I am trying to understand why PM is pushing their customers over to Koodo? From Telus point of view, they are not loosing a customer if they switch to Koodo. The Koodo offer is very tempting for $40/month.  Perhaps one of the foreseeable con in this deal is when (and if) Koodo will increase the plan price, and by how much.

I tried looking into this. It's all speculation but...

As best I can guess, Telus wants to have its three tiers (Telus/Koodo/Public) compete directly against their Bell and Rogers counterparts, which means that Public is probably being positioned more as competition for Chatr and Lucky. That seems borne out by its fairly recent introduction of cheaper 3G plans; those and zero-data plans now comprise most of PM's primary offerings, based on its website.

As for price increases ... I tried some research into the last across-the-board increase for Koodo. It appears that Koodo increases usually apply to new users and existing plans stay in place until someone wants to upgrade. Having said that, Koodo could still boost its rates at any time but so can all of them.

You stated the service is faster on Koodo, do you find the reception reliable while you are indoors or in the train, etc.?  I live in Mississauga and during weekdays travel to Toronto Downtown via GO Train, so my usage is limited.  However, I depend on a reliable network and service.

It helps that Bell and Telus have a tower-sharing agreement so coverage should be pretty good. I use OpenSignal to let me know where the towers are; if you're really concerned, it will tell you what covers best where you are.

I use the subway more than the train. Only Freedom actually has cell service on the subway, but there is free wifi in the stations. As for GO Transit, you might get the right train.

el56

@Alvitowrote:

He also got charged for his ignorance. They installed the SIM card for him.

Don't confuse ignorance with convenience.

I never said I couldn't change my own SIM, I do that whenever I travel (and HAD to do it with PM because you can't roam outside North America with its plans).

I just find doing it a PITA.

I simply note that using Koodo has the (minor) benefit of being able to interact with actual people in real time, at booths and storefronts, who can do stuff like this. The SIM card cost the same whether I installed it myself or let the store worker do it.

pizza

Canada407

I'm kinda annoyed that because I'm on the 15 gigs for $180/90 days (Promo I got having issues with them), I am ineligible, I don't think I'd change but I still wish I atleast had the option seeing as the family I live with is with Koodo & lives by them. I think it should be for everyone on PM

Alvito

He also got charged for his ignorance. They installed the SIM card for him.

majsiddiqui

@el56

Thanks for sharing your experience with the swtich to Koodo and stating the pros and cons.  I received a phone call and a text message yesterday for the same $40/6GB/Unlimited Text/Unliminted Canada-Wide calling, however, the store rep had not mentioned 6GB, she stated 5GB (perhaps she mispoke). I am trying to understand why PM is pushing their customers over to Koodo? From Telus point of view, they are not loosing a customer if they switch to Koodo. The Koodo offer is very tempting for $40/month.  Perhaps one of the foreseeable con in this deal is when (and if) Koodo will increase the plan price, and by how much.

You stated the service is faster on Koodo, do you find the reception reliable while you are indoors or in the train, etc.?  I live in Mississauga and during weekdays travel to Toronto Downtown via GO Train, so my usage is limited.  However, I depend on a reliable network and service.

I find the $17 for SIM is way too expensive, IMO.  Even Bell/Rogers charge $10. So why is Koodo charging $17!?

jonathan1

Public Mobile was good when i signed up, and the 4gb/$40 is still a competitive plan.  Telus has stated they want people to move to post-paid/tab/servitude arrangements, which can be more profitable per user per month for them.  But it makes public mobile look greedy and misleading.  but the plan and service for now are still exactly what i signed up for, minus the 'no surprises' promise.

Farjy

Can I get this offer from 40$ month 5/6GB data , even though I am from 33$ Canada wide plan ?

pizza

Thanks for the reply! Freedom isn't available in my area. I guess it's good to remember that each of the big 3 companies really are no better than Telus. 

I'll have to think about whether it'll be worth to switch! Like you, I don't trust PM anymore at this point and should assume that either the cost/90 days will increase, add-ons will increase, or rewards will be lost.

el56

@pizzawrote:

What a mess. After all of this, I'm not sure I want to be part of Koodo or Public Mobile. 

They're all equally good/bad IMO, with two exceptions:

• Freedom is fine if you can live within the severe limitations of their network and have a phone that works on their frequencies

• Telus is slightly more ethical as a company than Rogers and Bell. It's not part of the coalition petitioning the CRTC *right now* to kill net neutrality in the name of combatting piracy. (Telus not being part of that coalition because it doesn't also own content providers.)

pizza

Thanks for this description!

Now since I got the offer for 6GB/$40, I'm really thinking I'll need to take the plunge, too. I worry about whether or not Koodo will be raising its rates anytime in the future for that plan they're offering now...

What a mess. After all of this, I'm not sure I want to be part of Koodo or Public Mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.