cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new cellphone can not use the Public Mobile SIM card?

muyusy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a new cellphone in China, it can be used in the network of TDD-LTE:2600(B38)/1900/2400/2600(B41); FDD-LTE:1800/2100/2600; TD-SCDMA:1900/2010;WCDMA :900/2100; GSM 900/1800/1900, but i can not use my Public Mobile SIM card, I don't know my SIM card is not a LTE SIM card or I must change my plan?

11 REPLIES 11

Yep, That sounds correct

vrance
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi for the phone model, choose the one with WCDMA 850/1900, which is quite common for non-China model like Samsung, LG, Motorola etc.  For LTE, choose the one with 1700/2100.  Some this year model may have this band.  However, the China branded model you have mentioned will NOT have the properly LTE band (some may have the WCDMA 1900 like Xiaomi).  2G (GSM) is not available in Public Mobile even though you may willing to be slower.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@makkahn28 wrote:

Moto G, Example, has like 6 different Sub-Models

Some had ONLY 2G GSM, Some 2G, 3G, Some 3G, 4G, or all the above

That's the tricky part

That's true.

I just wanted to correct you where you said don't buy a Phone in Europe or Asia.  That's all.

You know I only post Facts, if I am unsure I don't post or if necessary I will say Probably, maybe etc. But mostly Facts.

Moto G, Example, has like 6 different Sub-Models

Some had ONLY 2G GSM, Some 2G, 3G, Some 3G, 4G, or all the above

That's the tricky part

Easier said than done.

If a Phone has 6 Sub-Models, Like Moto G, example, you would have to know the Exact Brand, Model, Sub-Model, then Do a IMEI Test, or using that www.willmyphonework.com 

Just to figure out if Handset will work.

chukdefatey

@makkahn28 wrote:

Well, If that's the case, Wondering how can they determine which is compatible or NOT

Easy look at the Frequency used by Bellus & then look at Frequencies on the Phone you are buying.

Well, If that's the case, Wondering how can they determine which is compatible or NOT

chukdefatey

@makkahn28 wrote:

@muyusy, Simple, Handset is NOT Compatible.

Buyer BEWARE

If bringing a Phone over, Recommend buying in Canada/US

Asian and/ or European phones have DIFFERENT Frequency spectrums, so this can be a big issue

Is it too late to return Phone Back?

FYI:

Most current phones from Asia & Europe have HSPA/HSPA+ & some LTE frequencies for the North American wireless market. However most Phones intended for the Japan & China 'DO NOT'

chukdefatey

@muyusy wrote:

I bought a new cellphone in China, it can be used in the network of TDD-LTE:2600(B38)/1900/2400/2600(B41); FDD-LTE:1800/2100/2600; TD-SCDMA:1900/2010;WCDMA :900/2100; GSM 900/1800/1900, but i can not use my Public Mobile SIM card, I don't know my SIM card is not a LTE SIM card or I must change my plan?

Your Phone has only one Frequency for Canada which is 2600Mhz LTE. However this Frequency is only available to Bell. Even though Bell &Telus are really one network but that Frequency is currently not in the shared Network agreement between the two.  

Also lets just assume it was available on Telus even then your Phone will only have LTE data where that Frequency is deployed & you will not have had voice calling because currently Voice calling is not available over LTE.

@muyusy, Simple, Handset is NOT Compatible.

Buyer BEWARE

If bringing a Phone over, Recommend buying in Canada/US

Asian and/ or European phones have DIFFERENT Frequency spectrums, so this can be a big issue

Is it too late to return Phone Back?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

As posted elsewhere the PM network requirements are the following:

Per @Cyber and @Martin 

Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile frequency are :

3G UMTS/HSDPA = (850MHz / 1900MHz) aka Bands 5/2

4G LTE Band 4 = (2100MHz / 1700MHz) aka paired together Band 4

4G LTE-Advanced = 700MHz (LTE-A not yet launched by Telus/Bell) aka Band 17

Do you need some ideas on where to purchase a compatible phone?

Have you registered the SIM and created an account? It will not function, otherwise,

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.