cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to another province

vprasady266
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently in Ontario and am planning to move to Alberta. Can I Keep the same number?

Do I need to change my plan? How can I make my number local to Alberta? I am trying to make sure I dont incur additional tarrifs to keep the number active in Alberta.

10 REPLIES 10

mattz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

That is so cool, thanks!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

You can also keep the ON number, and benefit from only 5% Tax in Alberta if you top-up using payment vouchers purchased in Alberta before the auto-pay kicks in.

That is true, and for someone wanting to save money, that would be a bonus.  However, I believe that the benefits of the lower tax rate will be far outweighed by the fact that people calling you from the same city will need to make a long distance call to reach you.

As time goes on, lots of family will be not keeping a landline number and mobile plans are offering Canada wide calling now.  Paying long distance charge will soon be a thing for the past.  We are essentially in one big zone.

@Nezgar wrote:

You can also keep the ON number, and benefit from only 5% Tax in Alberta if you top-up using payment vouchers purchased in Alberta before the auto-pay kicks in.

That is true, and for someone wanting to save money, that would be a bonus.  However, I believe that the benefits of the lower tax rate will be far outweighed by the fact that people calling you from the same city will need to make a long distance call to reach you.

@Nezgar  Thats an excellent idea for @vprasady266 . You can keep your ontario phone number but save 8% off the tax rate. If you purchase the vouchers at london drugs you can enroll in the LD Extras program to earn additional $5 gift vouchers on your public mobile voucher purchases maximizing your savings up to 10.5% off your bill compared to ontario.

@popping wrote:.

If you change to a AB number, you will be charged only 5% GST.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

People have successfully used fongo for call forwarding. It it's totally free, you can pick a number that is local to your new area and set it to forward to your Ontario number. The only thing you have to do is made a call once every 90 days or so to keep that number. They will send you an email letting you know that you may lose your number If you don't make a call in5 days. Than you can hand out that number for people who didn't have canada wide calling as your alternative local number. It is also very good backup number in a case of service outrage or if you end up living under metal roof and can't get decent signal so you must rely on your wifi. In that case you probably want to do it the other way around ( forward your public calls to your fongo when at home) 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@vprasady266 wrote:

I am currently in Ontario and am planning to move to Alberta. Can I Keep the same number?

@vprasady266  Yes.

Do I need to change my plan? 

No.

How can I make my number local to Alberta?

You can't. If you keep your ON number when people call you from ON it will be a local call. But people that can you from AB it will be a LD call.

I am trying to make sure I dont incur additional tarrifs to keep the number active in Alberta.

If you are on a Canada wide calling plan no additional charges will be incurred.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@vprasady266 wrote:

Do I need to change my plan? How can I make my number local to Alberta? I am trying to make sure I dont incur additional tarrifs to keep the number active in Alberta.

You can keep your ON number and pay the same sale tax.  All current PM plans have Canada wide minutes, no long distance charge when you call from AB with your ON number.  But your ON family or friends may incur long distance charge if their plan does not have Canada wide calling minutes.

If you change to a AB number, you will be charged only 5% GST.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

You can keep your number. Since PM is Canada wide calling you don't have to worry (Unless you're on a province plan). However you should consider the people calling you. Depending on their plans they might be charged long distance to call you even though there in Alberta with you since they would be calling an Ontario number.

If you want to change numbers to an Alberta number you can do that in your account. your allowed one change per 30 days but you can't keep your number and just change area codes you'll have to pick a new number.

Screenshot_20191223_210328.jpg

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@vprasady266 wrote:

You can keep your number and won't have any worries about needing long distance if you are on a Canada wide plan.  The Issue is you can't make your number local to Alberta so anyone calling from a landline would need to call you long distance to reach you.  The good side of that is that anyone in your previous home area of Ontario can still call you as a local from a landline.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.