cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Vancouver but Live in Toronto - Changing Phone Number Advice Wanted

Lynx
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Community!

I will be moving to Vancouver but I have a Toronto public mobile number.  I want to change my current Toronto number to a Vancouver number while I am still in Toronto.  I have the unlimited talk and text Canada-wide plan.  So, my question is, if I live in Toronto and have a Vancouver number and using the number while I am still in Toronto, does it charge me long distance or will there be any issues I have not thought of.

Please advise.  Many thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Or stated another way:

For the person making the call (from a landline or a mobile) to you on PM, the call is long distance if the number they are dialing is long distance, regardless of where the you (on the PM mobile) are physically standing.

For the person receiving the call on their PM mobile, the call is long distance if the recipient is outside of their home province and does not have Canada-wide calling, regardless of where the call originated from.  If the recipient either has Canada-wide calling OR has minutes remaining in a talk add-on, the call will go through, and otherwise it will go straight to voicemail [I believe].

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hi @mtm,  I would like to clarify the details of how long distance works with Public Mobile. There are no "pay-after" long distance bills because PM is a pre-paid only service. Either we select the right plan options or we purchase the right add-ons for what we need.  Otherwise we simply can not make those calls. So the long distance charges below would apply to other mobile carriers. 

If a person in Vancouver dials out a local Vancouver number, that person will not be charged long distance fees just because the recipient of the call happens to be travelling in another province.  

With PM, the recipient on a Canada-wide calling plan would not be charged anything either.  If the recipient of this call is on a BC province-wide calling plan, then while he/she is in Toronto, the incoming calls wouldn't work.  Unless the person has purchased one of the talk add-ons.    

Location based long distance charges apply to the person travelling, not the person who calls her/him.  I have often called Toronto local numbers from Toronto and the person at that time was in the US or Europe.  I was never charged long distance for these calls.  

Anyone in Toronto who is on a province-wide calling plan with PM will NOT be able to call out of province number.  They will be required to purchase a talk add-on ahead of time to be able to do so.  

It does not matter if my friend from Vancouver is sitting next to me in Toronto, if I call his Vancouver number and all I have is province-wide calling plan then my call to him will NOT go through without an add-on. 

mtm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Lynx @imm1304 @NDesai  One thing not mentioned, anyone calling you from Vancouver on your new Vancouver number while you are in Toronto will incur long distance charges.  Cellular works based on where your phone is, not what your number is.  So if anyone in Toronto called your new number while you're in Toronto WOULD NOT incur long distance.

imm1304

Agree with @NDesai, Canada-wide means you can use your phone all across Canada as long as you can find signal to connect to Public Mobile network.  You won't have any issues as far as I can tell.

Also, there are no long-distance charges and/or overage bills to pay back with Public Mobile.  Everything is pre-paid and you simply purchase in advance whatever service you want or you don't get service.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

If you have Canada-wide talk then there should be no charge. 

Need Help? Let's chat.