cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Public Mobile clarify.

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi 

I just wanted to clarify one person here advised he moved from another provider and selected a new number to ensure he have no glitches and try the number number as a new customer then maybe port his old number if all goes well as a new customer trying the network which is new to him.

Have others tried that. I was going to try that. I know it might be easier to port my current number but also might be nice to have a new one that might be catchy.

In that case I guess I need to contract Freedom to cancel if not porting current number with them or if decide to port number can it be changed online in profile with Public Mobile. The reason I am asking all new to me.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R wrote:

It appeared to be directed at me since I got a email notifaction of his reply. Since his 1st comment was off putting.

When responding online people have to be careful of the tone used. Hard to interpret online as opposed speaking face to face and not make judgements or perceptions. Even your reply can be taken that way.

@Patrick_R 

You probably got an email notification of my reply too. That's an option that you can set. There's an option to subscribe to threads automatically or not. I think it defaults to on.

You're right about tone. That's why I try to use emoji's and such when I'm expressing something.

Patrick_R

It appeared to be directed at me since I got a email notifaction of his reply. Since his 1st comment was off putting.

When responding online people have to be careful of the tone used. Hard to interpret online as opposed speaking face to face and not make judgements or perceptions. Even your reply can be taken that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Patrick_R 

stonechucker was replying to a different user. Yes his comment could be thought to be directed at everyone. He then proceeded to help you with some information.

To be fair...you have been here for a bit now and asking a bunch of questions which is truly excellent...so you ought to have been able to find information in the KB by now...which you have.

But you're right...we all pitch in to help others. Almost all the questions have been asked a thousand times before but we know new arrivals won't bother to read everything. They just want an answer now and then to carry on with their lives.

Patrick_R

I did find the knowledge based forum. I am not sure why you assume and state I find it funny you find all other forums but the knowledge base one.

The whole point of the Discussion Board as stated by Public Mobile is Get help, Give help, Share ideas.

The reason I asked a question on the Community Discussion Board was other Subscribers stated Welcome if you have any questions please post them and we will try to help answer them.

It was nice to see people being positive and welcoming to a new person to which you were not.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of Public Mobile promoting a discussion board to help eachother as a alternative of not having a call centre to call into .

Aa someone is new to this and just learning you could of given them the benefit of the doubt instead of making unhelpful and unwelcoming comments.

@Patrick_R,

I find it funny that you can find every other forum listed in the community, but you can not find the Knowledge Base, which is the first Forum listed on the Community landing page, below all the Latest Posts, New Topic, and Bravo information.

Prior to our latest Community overhaul a year or two ago, these lists were below the Forum listings.  Perhaps Public Mobile should address this, by reverting (if possible) the Forums to be listed first, rather than the other stuff.  But then, others would complain that the need to scroll to far to get to the 'new' stuff.

Patrick_R

Funny how you say if new subscribers would take 5 mins to read the knowledge base.

Its not like the knowledge base  jumps out on the site of the Community Discussion Board or being promoted as a alternative to the Community Board and is easy to find. Otherwise I would not of asked a question if information was easy to find for new customers.Thus question was asked on the Community discussion board. Just would of been easier to give new subscribers the benefit of the doubt.

@Patrick_R wrote:

In that case I guess I need to contract Freedom to cancel if not porting current number with them or if decide to port number can it be changed online in profile with Public Mobile. The reason I am asking all new to me.

Thanks

It's up to you if you want to choose a  new number or port one in.  But, you can't keep both numbers (at least not easily).  Once you port your number in, the "new" number will be lost.  Also, as you were already advised, do not cancel your Freedom service if you are going to port that phone number to Public Mobile.  You will not be able to transfer a cancelled phone number.

@slash407, there is a Knowledge Base topic about it.

If new subscribers would take 5 minutes to look for the Knowledge Base, they can learn everything there is to know about getting started, including porting their phone numbers.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

rwboucher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I moved my phone to Public Mobile yesterday from Bell. I ported my current phone number and everything worked great. Though they say it can take up to 2 hours to port the phone number over, it was completed within 5 minutes. I was very happy with how easy and quick the process was.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi 

I just wanted to clarify one person here advised he moved from another provider and selected a new number to ensure he have no glitches and try the number number as a new customer then maybe port his old number if all goes well as a new customer trying the network which is new to him.

Have others tried that. I was going to try that. I know it might be easier to port my current number but also might be nice to have a new one that might be catchy.

Thanks

It's the best plan. Open a new account get everything working then transfer the number over.

If you are satisfied with your new number, then you can cancel freedom, but you will lose that freedom number forever. If you want to port the freedom number to public mobile make sure to leave the freedom mobile open as the porting process will cancel the account for you.

In order to transfer freedom mobile the account must be active and in good working order so if you cancel it, its over for that account and will not be able to transfer the number here. It's really what ever you want to do but I suggest trying to get a new catchy number, otherwise take whatever you can get then transfer in the freedom number if its better.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@Patrick_R  Most people find that it's easier to get a new number first then port their old, but it you have already started a port it would be better just to leave it until it's complete. For now, continue to use your Freedom Mobile SIM card until it stops working, then put in your Public Mobile SIM and it should work.

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to double check when signing up some here have advised pick a number from public mobile then move Freedom Mobile over later as a way of canceling my month to month with Freedom and no need to call them.

If you're going to be porting in from Freedom Mobile, why did you need to know which new phone number is the best?  It wouldn't matter because you would be replacing it when porting in, regardless.

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi,

Just wanted to double check when signing up some here have advised pick a number from public mobile then move Freedom Mobile over later as a way of canceling my month to month with Freedom and no need to call them.

Yes, as mentioned it is best to take a new number first when you activate your PM Sim. After you have confirmed everything is working properly, text in/out, calls in/out as well as LD and Data is working if you have that in your plan. When you are happy with everything then it is just a matter of logging into your self serve account and then do the port. 

Also as mentioned there is no need to contact Freedom. When you port your number to your PM account your Freedom account will be closed. I do recommend turning off autopay or anything similar that you may have had with Freedom to prevent any unwanted charges from them after your account is closed.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi,

When a request to port out your number comes into your old provider that is the sign to  them that you don't want to be a customer of theirs anymore.  There is no need to contact them, porting your number will close your account.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi,

You don't need to call your current provider.  You number must be active before you can port your number to PM.  Therefore, don't call Freedom.  You Freedom account will be close after you port your Freedom number to PM.

I like to get a PM number to test out the service first.  I will port my number to PM after I am happy with the signal and service.  This approach will save you the process to port your number to PM and from PM again for any reason that you don't want to stay with PM

@Patrick_R wrote:

Hi,

No need to cancel Freedom if you port over.  Public will get that done if you port over. You can port any time but that number must be still active when you make request.

Patrick_R

Hi,

Need Help? Let's chat.