cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Toronto to Vancouver, don't want to lose my 647 number. What to do?

r3dcomet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm currently on the 40$ 4gb plan which i believe to have only province wide call. I'm moving to BC in a few months and I won't want to lose my 647 cell. Can I still call within BC after I move? I read that you can't but the post is a few years ago. Thank you all!

9 REPLIES 9

If you need to keep your number, as well as keep that Fall Promo plan, you need a long distance add on to call any non-BC number while you are in BC.  You will, however, still be able to call any BC number under provincial calling. 

You can keep your Toronto phone number if you wish, but keep in mind that anyone calling you will have to pay any long distance that they normally do to make a call to Toronto (even if the person is your next door neighbor after you move to BC).

Also remember that incoming calls aren't suposed to work at all with a number from Ontario while you are in BC because that is actually supposed to be count as national long distance.  We know that Public Mobile does allow these calls to come through anyway, but it's uncertain how long Public Mobile will continue to allow this with provincial calling plans.

After going to BC, you could use something such as Hangouts to make calls to other provinces for free.  These types of calls would go through your internet data connection.

I don't want to go into too much detail because in terms of long distance service, this would be mentioning a competitor, but Wordline will allow you to make voice calls across the country for $3.95 per month. It works similar to a calling card where you first dial an access phone number and then the long distance company (separate from Public Mobile) places a call for you using their network.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@r3dcomet Just get a free calling app like fongo to call back to Toronto. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You've gotten your answer about being able to call within BC with your current number.

However unless your move is temporary I'd suggest doing what @Wolfcore said - bite the bullet and get a BC number and let everyone know. That was a real pain before when all we had were landlines but nowadays is really easy.

Once in BC you're going to start getting BC contacts and if any don't have free Canada-wide calling they are going to have to use their long-distance minutes to call you.

There's also apps that claim to do this number update thing for you easily (like LetzwApp) but I have never used any myself. Probably just easier to do it yourself with texts/email/calls.

Enjoy BC - it's nice here although gets a bit wet sometimes. 🙂

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Contrary to the official information on using calling service outside the home province for a province wide calling plan, it is possible to receive calls even without a long distance add-on.  If calling is not used that often, a calling app may the a viable option.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello r3dcomet,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Indeed, if you don't want to loose your number, the only available option is to buy a Long-Distance add-on. Outside of the province without this add-on, only incoming calls will work.

Regards

Abdoulaye

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Honestly, to save you money and hassle, you're better off changing your number. The last time I changed my number, I simply sent everyone on my contacts list a text, saying to update my number to the new one. Nobody seems to remember phone numbers nowadays anyway, so they aren't as important. Of course you'll have to call up your doctor/dentist/employer, and update every other business that has your number, but it'll be worth it, especially if you plan on staying in Vancouver for a while.

Options I see:

a) test the service when you get to BC and if it's not to your liking buy long distance add-ons

b) take the Koodo offer

Remember folks you meet in BC will be making long distance calls to reach you.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@r3dcometwrote:

I'm currently on the 40$ 4gb plan which i believe to have only province wide call. I'm moving to BC in a few months and I won't want to lose my 647 cell. Can I still call within BC after I move? I read that you can't but the post is a few years ago. Thank you all!

As per Public Mobile's terms and conditions:

"Province-Wide option includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A Long Distance Talk Add-On is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."

So it looks like if you want to receive incoming calls while you are in Vancouver, you will need to purchase a long-distance add-on.

For the data plan, I you will still have access to data while you are in Vancouver since Public Mobile has network coverage in Vancouver, and therefore, it won't be roaming. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@r3dcomet, yes you will be able to call within BC when you are in BC.  What ever province you are in you can call at anytime.  You would need a long distance addon to call back to Toronto but you can receive calls from there without the addon.  When you are in Vancouver any Landlines or phones with provincial only calling would need to dial long distance to reach you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.