cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move number to work phone (Bell) and re-use phone on new account

beadle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the opportunity to move my number to a work phone (with Bell) and then would like to give my phone to a relative who will activate on Public Mobile but need a new number. Is this all possible, and what are my steps? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13

@torontokris wrote:

@geopublic do mods do this regularly? I could see people abusing this to keep rewards or sell their rewards before porting to another company

@torontokris @geopublic @AE_Collector This is sometimes allowed; no one knows the factors for acceptance. But it only applies to Available Funds not ongoing rewards.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@beadle  No you dont. If you have your account number, name on the account and the PM phone number that's all you need. Just provide that info to Bell and the port will be submitted.

@beadle wrote:

Thanks everyone! Our telecom person at work isn't sure whether I need to give Public Mobile 'permission' to port the number in advance of their request?

@beadle 

No need for permission.

Your tech person needs your PM account number, phone number and account holder name for a port to be completed.  To be on safe side, remove autopay information before port.  

beadle

Thanks everyone! Our telecom person at work isn't sure whether I need to give Public Mobile 'permission' to port the number in advance of their request?

@torontokris  My understanding is that's up to their discretion. Other customers have been able to donate their rewards. This is clearly not a case of someone who is trying to abuse the system.

@torontokris wrote:

@geopublic do mods do this regularly? I could see people abusing this to keep rewards or sell their rewards before porting to another company

Yeah that seems to be a bit over the top for someone to ask for, tying up moderators time etc. If someone had significant rewards and there is no other "work around" through porting then maybe worth a shot. But many more will be trying to accomplish this for a single friend referral or 1 year $1 loyalty reward etc. Some things simply aren't worth the amount of time needed to accomplish. JMHO.

AE_Collector

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@beadle wrote:

do they need a new SIM? or can they just use the one in the phone that's already on Public Mobile and request a new number?

They need a new sim and new account. As your sim and account will be deactivated over you're number is ported to Bell. Unless you got a new number with your work phone and the relative took over your number and plan completely. But you lose your number

Need a new SIM.

Do you have any rewards with PM beyond Autopay? Any reason to want to jump through hoops to transfer your PM account to them but they get a new number? If not really, easiest to just do as others have said, port number to bell, give phone to new PM customer to activate.

AE_Collector

beadle

do they need a new SIM? or can they just use the one in the phone that's already on Public Mobile and request a new number?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@beadle 

Step 1:

Ask your friend to purchase a new sim and activate a new sim with a new number.

Step 2: 

Sibmit a ticket to PM and explain the situation and let them know that you wish to donate your rewards to your friend's account. To submit a ticket do the following:

stpm-new.png

Step 3

Once the rewards have been transferred remove your cc and disable your AutoPay. Port your number to Bell. Once the port completes your PM will close automatically.

Hope this helps!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay safe

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@beadle 

Your relative needs to start a new account and new number. Unable to keep your oldPM plan with rewards, if you want to keep your old number. 

Jusr port your your number to work plan. Buy a new PM SIM card and activate a new plan.  Insert new SIM cards to your old phone and give to relative. 

Need Help? Let's chat.