cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Robocalls?

luminol42
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just transitioned from Bell mobility after being there for 8 years. I used to get spam calls once every week or so. I've been on Public nw for less than a week, and I'm getting several per day. I don't know how much control the provider has over incoming spam callers, but it seems like an odd coincidence - anyone else notice that?

23 REPLIES 23

@luminol42 wrote:

Thanks all for the input, I wrote up a response based on what carriers are doing to help customers control spam calls. That was deleted, so not sure what's happening in this forum, as I wasn't given a reason for the deletion. 

Ironically, it's quite likely that this website's software marked your message as spam and removed it. This can happen quite often happen if multiple message edits are made in a short time. I believe that some message board software considers each edit to be a the same as a submition of a new message. When you do a few in about a mintue or so, it might think that there's probably a robot/computer posting the message in an automated fashion.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gpixel wrote:

@DOA you pay $11/month? 

Click on 'Personal Plans.'  There's Free and $5.99 per month.

DOA

@gpixel wrote:

@DOA you pay $11/month? 

No, I use the free version.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm @luminol42 @gpixel 

Fun fact: When I ported my number out of Bell to Public there was no increase in spam calls except lately because I been trying to do stuff and be handing out my number like its candy on Halloween. 

But in the beginning I only had one spam call. I blocked it. (On bell and on Public Mobile) and it keeps coming through. I put my number on the DNC list and tried everything. No luck. I phoned them up and said take me off there call list. 

The Company is DCM (they say that - I think it stands for Debt Collection Management) for a Donald Agar or Egar. Needless to say that's not me. I find the humour in it now. But which is also why I'm consider a number change 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@luminol42  If you have an Android phone and can instal the Google Phone app then you should add it has excellent spam protection features. 

Otherwise keep blocking the spam callers and eventually the number of calls will be considerably reduced.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@DOA you pay $11/month? 

DOA

@luminol42 wrote:

Thanks gpixel4, looks like my device is incompatible with that, but I am overdue for an upgrade. Also visual voicemail - wow haven't had that since my last iphone many years ago. 

youmail.com has both free and paid visual voicemail.  With the free version, you get 10 transcriptions per month.

I use it with PM.  Easy to set up and works great.

@luminol42 PM doesn't support visual voicemail 😭

luminol42

Thanks gpixel4, looks like my device is incompatible with that, but I am overdue for an upgrade. Also visual voicemail - wow haven't had that since my last iphone many years ago. 

@luminol42 wrote:

Thanks all for the input, I wrote up a response based on what carriers are doing to help customers control spam calls. That was deleted, so not sure what's happening in this forum, as I wasn't given a reason for the deletion. 

Carriers can help control spam, and are being mandated to do so, just do a quick google search, as I'm not sure I can use external links. I am on the DNC registry, block calls one by one, just like we all do - but I am now inundated with spam calls - I think it could be because Public had not invested in appropriate spam tracing and blocking technologies. 

@luminol42 heres a suggestion download the google phone app and try it out. you should have better spam protection. you might even get "call screening"

DOA

@luminol42 wrote:

I just transitioned from Bell mobility after being there for 8 years. I used to get spam calls once every week or so. I've been on Public nw for less than a week, and I'm getting several per day. I don't know how much control the provider has over incoming spam callers, but it seems like an odd coincidence - anyone else notice that?

I came to PM after about 12 years with Bell/Virgin and noticed no increase.

In fact, I almost never get spam calls.  I don't know if it's because I'm lucky, or because google's call screening is really good.

If by chance you're using the google phone app, go into settings and see if it's enabled.

Screenshot_20200511-152117.png

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@luminol42 I noticed the opposite so far. since coming to Public I have had no spam calls. Wherewith Bell I would get them daily, several times a day. 

luminol42

Carriers can help control spam, and are being mandated to do so, just do a quick google search, as I'm not sure I can use external links. I am on the DNC registry, block calls one by one, just like we all do - but I am now inundated with spam calls - I think it could be because Public had not invested in appropriate spam tracing and blocking technologies. 

fdrcamb519

@luminol42 

Welcome to public Mobil, sorry to hear you have to go through this, first of all  "Don't answer calls from unknown numbers".

The National Do Not Call Registry was created to stop sales calls from real companies. It’s free to register your home or mobile phone number.Popular call blocking apps -Hiya -Truecaller  Have not tried them my self, hope you solve this soon.

screencapture_store_google_product_pixel_3_2018_10_09_11_55_23.0.jpg

if you have a Google pixel you can always annoy them with using your own robocaller called "screen call" 

google needs to release this to all android phones ASAP!

luminol42

"@luminol42 unfortunately these spam callers are gonna keep calling you. the network provider can't do anything to help you in this situation. "

Check out this news article from last December - the carriers are being required to phase in controls to mitigate spam:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/the-end-of-spam-calls-crtc-call-blocking-rules-come-into-force-1.47365...

I registered years ago with the do not call registries, and continue to block on a call by call basis, but the carriers do have a major role to play with tracing calls and using other spam control technologies. I may have just found out first hand what happens when the carrier drops the ball. Very glad to hear that others have not had the issue, and I sincerely hope that you don't - but it looks like it's a matter of bad luck falling into a spammers call blocks, and relying on the telco to protect you. 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@luminol42 Sorry to hear that. Block them one by one and add your number into do-not-call list.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@luminol42 unfortunately these spam callers are gonna keep calling you. the network provider can't do anything to help you in this situation. 

the best thing to do is block the numbers. go into your previous calls tap on the spam number and look for options to add them to your spam/blocked callers list

Screenshot_20200419-153542-01.jpeg

BearFBI

@luminol42 I havent got any robocalls for the 45 days I've been with public. Bell might have different call filtering than PM and they might be stricter to robocalls but I am not sure. Im also registered on the National to not call list. Try blocking the numbers.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@luminol42 wrote:

If you ported over your number you aren't getting away from the problem if the spammers have it.  Have you blocked any of these numbers as SPAM so that they can call you but it won't ring?  What type of phone are you using?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

luminol42

Ported from Bell. My concern is more around what type of spam call-blocking systems Public is using compared to Bell. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@luminol42 wrote:

@luminol42  Did you port-in your number from Bell or did you pick a new number when activating with Public?

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

Robocalls can happen anywhere. They call blocks of numbers. Are you using a smartphone? You can block the numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.