cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile tethering not working

Jameelm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello everyone,

So i signed up with PM recently and I am having issues with mobile tethering. My data works well and I have LTE. I added the APN for public mobile as well as the APN for mobile tethering. However I can't seem to get it working.

I can connect to the hotspot but it does not share the connection. I have a Sony Xperia xa which I unlocked from wind Mobile.

I have also connected to the adb shell and I have set global tether required to 0. For the life of me I can't seem to get it going. I have tried using "dun" in both the sp.mb.com APN as well as the ISP.mb.com and also copying the sp.mb.com APN and setting just dun on there but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JM
26 REPLIES 26

dougpeng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks, this worked for me!  I managed to get my ChatR hotspot and tethering working by changing the APN (Access Point Name) field within the Mobile Network settings on my phone! As you may know, ChatR default settings do not allow for hotspot or tethering, but by adding the parameter "dun" to the APN Type field in the advanced section of the Mobile Network settings got it to work.   More specifically, you need to add ", dun"  to the APN Type field as there are other existing parameters that you do not want to delete.  That is, do not get rid of those other existing parameters, but use the comma "," to add "dun" to it.

dougpeng

I confirmed that the addition of "dun" worked for me as well as a ChatR user.  ChatR default settings do not allow for hotspot or tethering, but with your recommendation, I got both to work.   I finally got internet access on my laptop. Some one question the need for the "," in front of "dun".  This would be required if there is a string of existing parameters in the APN type.  Do not get rid of those other existing parameters, but use the comma "," to add "dun" to it.

dougpeng

The addition of "dun" in the APN type worked for me as a ChatR user.  ChatR default settings do not allow for hotspot or tethering, but with your recommendation, I got both to work.   I finally got internet access on my laptop. Some one question the need for the "," in front of "dun".  This would be required if there is a string of existing parameters in the APN type.  Do not get rid of those other existing parameters, but use the comma "," to add "dun" to it.

Vdeschen

Galaxy S9, moved to PM. Received the default APN settings after signing in. Tethering did not work. Added ,dun to the Apn and everything worked.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hi @Avenger,

I tagged the moderators so that they can help you. Thanks.

Avenger
I've tried this and my tethering is still broken.It worked before when I did it two weeks ago. Now it won't tether, no change since then on my end.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
It could be an issue on the PM side. I had a tethering issue and PM tech support fixed it.

CSPB

Adding default,dun didnt help with tethering on my lg v10. Nor did adding an additional apn for tethering specifically. Everything else works. Need to see if it is in fact on pm side of things. 

Vivo5

Hello,

I had the same issue for 3 days. I sent them my problem description, they fixed for me. the problem was from their side not from my side. Thank you MP. Now I tethering successfully.

Lima1

@chrisrw wrote:

After googling I found something that suggested I change APN type to "default, dun"

This seems to have fixed it. The settings posted on the PM forums here suggest that APN type should be left blank... well, not for me, I guess. Phone is a Moto X Play running Marshmallow 6.xx. I made this change within the public mobile APN (did not touch the settings int he tethering APN that also shows on my list).

Again, seems to be fixed. Yay. 🙂

Thanks for the tip.  This did the trick and my tethering finally works.

Lima1

Thanks for the tip.  This did the trick and my tethering finally works.

chrisrw

After googling I found something that suggested I change APN type to "default, dun"

This seems to have fixed it. The settings posted on the PM forums here suggest that APN type should be left blank... well, not for me, I guess. Phone is a Moto X Play running Marshmallow 6.xx. I made this change within the public mobile APN (did not touch the settings int he tethering APN that also shows on my list).

Again, seems to be fixed. Yay. 🙂

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

I do not have my old phone.

My new phone is from Chatr. When I unlocked it and took to Koodo, apn and tethering setting was automatic. When I brought to PM, the same, it could automatically reset to new apn and tethering setting!!!, and both work perfectly.

Here are the setting (whatever not specified, means Not set), actually they are greyed, and I cannot change them, however, I can add a new apn.

Mobile Internet

Name   Mobile Internet

Apn      sp.mb.com

MMSC    http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy   74.49.0.18

MMS Port 80

MCC   302

MNC 220

APN type   default.mms.agps.supl.fota.hipri

Apn protocol   IPv4

Apn roamin protocol   IPv4

Apn enabled

Beaver unspecified

MVNO type  GID

MVNO Value 4D4F

Tethered Mobile Internet

Name  Tethered Mobile Internet

Apn   isp.mb.com

MCC  220

APN type   dun

APN protocole IPv4

APN roaming Protocole  IPv4

APN enabled

Bearer unspecified

MVNOtype GID

MVNO value   4D4F

Please let us know if it works.

chrisrw

Can you post your full settings? For me to add ,dun to my APN type it'd be starting with a comma... the Public Mobile data APN instructions state to leave APN type blank.

I tried adding ,dun and also just dun (without a comma) and neither is fixing my hotspot issue.

Really wanting to get the ability to tether my tablet back. 😞

TK

I had the same problem. I could connect to hotspot, but no internet.

Googled:

Simply add    DUN   to APN type, that worked, right away conected to internet

Settings--> more--> mobile networks--> access point names--> tap on the appropriate APN--> go down to APN type--> add ,DUN without any empty space

Jameelm

Hi All,

Okay so I found the issue finally. Suffice it to say the problem was not with the phone as I had originally thought. It might have been at one point but I do believe that adding the APN and also configuring the phone to not require dun though the ADB shell might have helped.

The issue all along was the laptop I was using. Comodo messed up connecting to the internet. I only realized this when I tried this morning to connect to my phone again. However before I did that the laptop connected to my home network and still no internet. That's when I knew it was Comodo all along. I have seen it before so I just uninstalled and re-installed Comodo. I also tested the mobile tethering and it's all good.

What also tipped me off is when I tried connected my iPod to my phone this morning and it worked. So I started to suspect my laptop.

Thanks to all who helped sorry I didn't catch this sooner, who knows maybe some of the info in this thread might be useful to another person. Anyways I appreciate the help, great community we have here.

Thanks!

Jameelm

Okay so the latest update. I was able to find my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and that was unlocked. I was able to use the mobile tethering on that. So I guess there is something up with the Xperia XA that I have. I just have to figure out what it is. Could the carrier of somehow done something to the ROM that could block mobile tethering. 

I have added the APN's manually it's just the mobile tethering that does not work. Interestingly the APN's download automatically on the S3 vs my Xperia.

Thanks!

Jameelm
Darn it's not there I do see show password but no advanced settings. Wonder if I can enable it through the adb shell
Thanks

suno
Under configure hotspot settings, do you see a box to check "advanced settings"? Should be under the 'show password' box

Jameelm
Okay just did a factory reset and no luck. @suno I tried to look for that do you know how I can an access that in 6.0?
Thanks

suno
In advanced setting of hotspot settings, try changing the broadcast channel or the Mhz settings.

Jameelm
Thanks yes I saw that about a hardware reset. I am going to try that and see how it goes. I do appreciate the help.

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

I  ran through a bunch of old posts, I did see one person tried a factory reset but didnt make a difference.  Looks like alot of these issues ended with the result that it wasnt network related it was hardwar related.  That said im sure there is a resolution somewhere for this.

Jameelm
Unfortunately I don't have another unlocked phone. I did look through previous posts before I put this up here. Not sure if wind is somehow blocking this. I did pay for the network unlock from them. Would a factory reset solve the issue? Thanks for the quick response everyone.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I believe this is your phone issue . Try it in another phone if you have.  

This post might help: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Switched-from-Koodo-cannot-use-hotspot...

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

@Jameelm Have you had a look through old threads?  I know i have seen this same issue recently with others, trying to track down the thread.

Need Help? Let's chat.