cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile App

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Hi,

I'm new to Public Mobile, just wondering if this company has a mobile app? Would be nice to have.
22 REPLIES 22

paul007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

it's really a very helpfull in all aspects 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks for the props, @koimr1!  In the interest of full disclosure, I don't usually use Hermit for the community anymore, as I like to open multiple tabs at once. I mostly use my laptop, but when I do browse the community on the phone, I just do it in Chrome.  That said, I do make use of the self-serve wrapper.  I also Hermit for TransLink (GVA area transit authority) feed for checking for updates on my route before leaving in the morning, and another Hermit instance for the website for reloading my Compass card (TransLink prepaid card for paying for my train rides), and a few other things on occasion.  It's pretty handy.

Yeah I'm a huge Nova fan too.  It's not *quite* the first thing I install though.  I let all my other apps restore first, and then I switch over to Nova, and restore my settings backup from Google Drive and BAM my new launcher is set up exactly like my old phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1

@srlawren, just checked that app out and it's absolutely brilliant! The features in that app (Hermit Lite) are more than enough for this.

I don't see an IOS version but I believe one can still create home screen icons from Safari which would have to do.

Your guide is extremely detailed and I think answers this thread perfectly. 🙂

P.S. I bought Nova way back in 2012 for $0.25 and I would pay much, much more than that anyday if I had to do so again. It's the first thing I put onto any device. 🙂 Oh and yesterday was Nova's six-year anniversary!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Martin_G you can disagree all you like, but @koimr1 is correct.  In order for a 3rd part app to work it would either have to wrap the website or have access to an API to interact with the back-end systems, which I highly, highly doubt PM is going to provide.

if anyone does want to wrap the website into an app-like experience, and use Android, I do have a how-to guide here.  Simple and no development experience necessary, uses a 3rd party app named Hermit Lite.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Martin_G

Sorry. I have to disagree with you on the whole "only viable thing" would be to create a web-based wrapper.

So all pessimism aside, your input/feedback on features will be greatly appreciated once things start coming to fruition.

Any other devs interested, please send me a message so we can hammer this out.

Cheers

koimr1

@Martin_G wrote:

Hi,

Was just curious if there were any developers in the community that would like to take on the challenge of developing a mobile app ourselves?

Cheers

Without access to the inner workings of PM the only viable thing would be to create a web-based wrapper around the current self-serve site.

To be honest and without trying to sound pessimistic I am not sure I would ask any dev to try seeing as the current self-serve site has so many issues already - unfortunately that becomes the dev's fault to many people who don't understand how a web wrapper works.

Michael77

@dna2016 wrote:

@Martin_G now that sounds like a great idea.

Yes, that is a good idea. 🙂

dna2016

@Martin_G now that sounds like a great idea.

Martin_G

Hi,

Was just curious if there were any developers in the community that would like to take on the challenge of developing a mobile app ourselves?

Cheers

spj2822f
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They just need the website for the Account section to be optimized for mobile even if they never create a mobile app.

banjochow
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I really hope there isn't an app. I think it would be a terrible idea. This company cant increase its overhead anymore. The prices on the new plans already suck, would hate for them to increase. Any time development time should be spent on fixing the horrible activation process and making sure the system as a whole works. My refer a friend rewards are still messed up and signing up someone is a hellish process that I do not wish to go through again.

jt17g
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i hope there's one too

Michael77
I've bookmarked the PM page but a mobile app would be nice to have. 🙂

etsat

I agree that a mobile app would be nice, but I think it would also be nice to have a mobile-friendly self-serve page. Having to use the desktop self-serve site on my phone can be a little frustrating... Then again, we're on a budget carrier, so I can't complain too much. 

dna2016
@ninizinzu I completely agree with you. Considering the mass/frequent use of the community forum, plus this company is designed to be a self serve communication company, I think an additional touch point like an app should be made available. It gives the user quick and simple access to the most important items, it would be visually much more appealing, and if it's designed by the customers it'll only make them that much more loyal, and with that refer their friends and family.

dna2016
With a mobile app it'll use less data, you can design the app in a way that only shows the most important items (i.e. data usage, next billing date, etc.) Not that the website is bad, I just think a company that uses a community forum and is designed to be a self serve company should have an app that is designed by the customers.

dna2016
Thanks for the tip @cricketfan

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have the self serve page bookmarked and saved on my phone's main screen. It's the next best thing to a mobile app. Same goes for the community page. 

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I was scrolling though public lab lots of users posted about mobile app. But agreed doesn't look like pm will have a app in near future, I am been using chrome if you have mobile site on its pretty much looks like app.

ninizinzu

They currently do not have a mobile app. 

I would prefer an application that allows user to answer/ask questions for the community while commuting/travelling. It provides great way of easy communication by all means. 

daviding

@dna2016 Most of time, I use chrome or safari in my phone access PM website, it same as a app.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

At this time, it seems there will never be a mobile app.  Sister company Koodo, got rid of theirs, as users apparently like the website more.

For me, I prefer the full website on a desktop computer - but that's me.

Need Help? Let's chat.