cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might be leaving.........

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was just offered a postpaid Rogers plan that is comparable to my current PM plan. I have until the end of December to make my decision. I am waiting to see if Telus or Koodo make some sort of offer to their prepaid customers at PM. I hope so because I would like to stay with the family. 🙂

77 REPLIES 77

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've finally decided on what I'm doing with the 2x Koodo lines and 2x PM lines........I'm not waiting for BD miracle to happen here......but I'll keep my eyes open.. 

1. Keeping my wife on PM 4GB Fall Promo with a new Moto G5 prepaid bought today. ($150 at TMS). --She's happy.

2. I'm taking the wife's retiring Moto G4 Play and tethering it as my home internet "Stick" using one of my Koodo 10/60 lines which I activated. --Saving roughly $35/mth vs Bell.

3. I'm porting out my LG G5 Fall Promo over to another Koodo 10/60 plan. --Adding $23/mth

4. Dumping Bell Turbo Internet Stick. --Screw Bell. 

5. $25x2 referral credit from Koodo covers any lost PM prepaid charges incurred. 

Outcome

Before I had 10GB with Bell + 4GB x2 lines with PM = 18GB $171/mth

Now have 4GB with PM + 10GB x2 lines with Koodo = 24GB $157/mth 

.......and no more Bell = Merry Christmas to me!!!!

Thanks to those that helped me with the tethering thread. It made a world of difference to this very positive result. 

Happy Holidays to all of you.

Garry.

lukevader

Totally agree. I got a 10/60 plan and I dragged family members and friends with me racking up $150 in referral credits too. So if nothing comes along within renewal time in 2 months I'll port.  I'm also guessing that's why a few here still bragging about not losing any referrals yet is because they also haven't ported out yet causing the claw back.

@jshmeek wrote:

@Garry wrote:

PM needs to offer 6GB/$40LTE with same perks as fall promo.......That would definately satisfy the masses to stay/join.....

Couldn't agree more. Big question is should that plan include province wide or Canada wide talk.

I just setup a new activation on Telus with the "widely publicized promo". Got it from a dealer that didn't charge an activation fee (the Telus/Koodo store in my mall wanted $35 + $20 for the SIM). I have dual sim on my phone so I will keep using my primary number for calls/texts on my Public account (good for two months).

If Public drops a plan similar to what you are saying, I'd definitely just post-date that plan on my account and cancel the Telus line (pro-rated bill and only out the SIM costs, $25 in my case, overpaid). Canada-wide is a plus for me, and I'd prefer if it was matched, but I doubt they will, they'd probably just offer provincial-wide to make it different and a little less frills. If a new promo like this doesn't come though, I'll probably port my number in the next two months.

Michael77

@denkom,

I will.  Thanks again. 🙂

denkom

You are welcome 🙂 Good luck! Keep us posted on which provider & plan you go for!

Michael77

@denkom wrote:

I am not 100% sure. I am located in Vancouver and they did ask me what my phone number was....maybe to see what my area code is. I should mention that the 2gb bonus is only for 24 months. But I guess you could always switch to another provider at the end of the bonus lol.

@denkom,

Very true.  I hope they will offer it PM customers regardless of province. 🙂

Thanks for the info!

denkom

I am not 100% sure. I am located in Vancouver and they did ask me what my phone number was....maybe to see what my area code is. I should mention that the 2gb bonus is only for 24 months. But I guess you could always switch to another provider at the end of the bonus lol.

Michael77

@denkom,

@denkom wrote:

@Michael77 @srlawren I was finally able to reach Koodo today. Unfortunately they couldn't quite match the Rogers promo...although the guy did really seem like he was trying. The best Koodo offered was $2gb for $40. So that's definitely a no-go for me. I'm better off staying with PM as I have the same data amount for less $. They also had a deal for $49 for 6gb + 2gb bonus...but I really don't need that much data. I wish all the providers would have a $40/4gb promo frenzy.

Is $49 for 6gb + 2gb bonus for Ontario customers

denkom

@Michael77 @srlawren I was finally able to reach Koodo today. Unfortunately they couldn't quite match the Rogers promo...although the guy did really seem like he was trying. The best Koodo offered was $2gb for $40. So that's definitely a no-go for me. I'm better off staying with PM as I have the same data amount for less $. They also had a deal for $49 for 6gb + 2gb bonus...but I really don't need that much data. I wish all the providers would have a $40/4gb promo frenzy.

denkom

But it's better to have too much choice rather than no choice at all Smiley Tongue

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Right?!?  Why did all the 1st and 2nd tier providers have to match the offer?  LOL, listen to me, whining about too much choice.  Too funny.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

@srlawren,

Decisions..... Decisions........

Sometimes it's nice not to have too many options. 🙂

srlawren

@Michael77 I've been thinking about that.  I guess worst case scenario I lose out on $16.80 for the SIM eh.  I may just do that later today, but I feel a bit silly.  One of the main reasons I wanted to try fido over koodo was that Rogers is the only provider with service in the underground portions of our SkyTrain system (an LRT public transit train in the GVA).  But I've lived without it this long, so maybe it's not really that important.  I do trust the Telus netwok.  Ughh.  Too many decisions!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Michael77

@srlawren,

Thanks for the update. I think this will help me with my decision too. I am still on the fence about leaving but taking my time to figure things out. 

This may sound like a silly idea but I would recommend going to Koodo and getting the plan from them too. This way you will be covered. I think you get 15 days to try things out anyway. 🙂

srlawren

@denkom @Michael77 eagerly awaiting updates!  I activated a new fido line on the $60/10gig plan yesterday to try it out.  So far I'm not as impressed with network strength as I am with Telus, but haven't gone very far away yet.  Tomorrow will be a better test when I head downtown [Vancouver] for the day.  I haven't been on the Rogers network since 2003 when I left their old old TDMA network for Telus CDMA, though my mom is on Fido and it works well enough for her.  My needs are more demanding though!  Time will tell, but I'm starting to think maybe I should have gone with Koodo instead.

denkom

I hear you. I was with Rogers for more than 10 years and since joining PM a year ago I did notice better coverage in some areas. It's not a deal breaker for me, but if I had a choice between the 2 networks for the same price I would pick Telus. But ultimately, the cost would be the deciding factor. 

I will let you know what Koodo has to say. Telus was a no-go yesterday. 

Michael77

@denkom,

Yes, it works well for me but I am still thinking things over. I really want to stay with the Telus family. I hope Koodo comes up with something. Please let me know if they match the Rogers plan. 

denkom

@Michael77 You are so lucky with your renewal date!!! Talk about perfect timing haha. And at least you have time to decide Smiley Happy I'm going to try to call Koodo today to see if they will match the deal. I tried yesterday but couldn't get through. I'm still also holding out some hope that PM comes out with some sort of promo before year end...although it is looking very unlikely at this point. 

Michael77

@denkom,

Bingo on the plan. 🙂

I am still thinking about my options. I am lucky because my 90 days end on Dec. 31st. I may be taking 3 or 4 other Public Mobile customers with me.

Yes, it would be nice if Koodo matched the plan. We would definitely stay! 🙂

denkom

I don’t blame you for thinking about jumping ship @Michael77. I think if you got a good deal, go for it! Not sure what Rogers offered you but I know they have a targeted promo right now for $40/4gb which would totally be up my alley. I’d prefer to stay on the Telus network though and I’m not sure if Koodo or Telus would match that deal. My only problem is my 90 days renewed at the end of November so I feel a bit stuck right now amidst all these promos Smiley Sad 

Poprocks
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks. You do make a good point though. I'd rather be on a prepaid plan, which is what attracted me to PM in the first place. I was a happy customer for 2 years, which was more than I could say about Wind and Rogers before that.

It's too early to say I'm a happy Koodo customer. Need to make sure they don't screw me over in some way in the next several months first 😉 Time will tell. Hey, the beauty of owning your phone outright is I can just jump ship again if a better deal arises! 

Michael77

@Poprocks wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

I think Telus/PM is happy you switched to a postpaid plan where they will be making more money. I am wondering if they even care if you were to leave to Bell or Rogers?

How will they be making more money when I will literally be giving them fewer dollars per month for more? If you're talking about overage fees, not going to happen, I monitor usage daily. 

Would they have cared if I moved to Rogers? No of course not. I'm just one person. But if enough people jumped ship due to PM'S prices not being competitive, they would (or should) care. 

That makes sense.

Poprocks

@Michael77 wrote:

I think Telus/PM is happy you switched to a postpaid plan where they will be making more money. I am wondering if they even care if you were to leave to Bell or Rogers?

How will they be making more money when I will literally be giving them fewer dollars per month for more? If you're talking about overage fees, not going to happen, I monitor usage daily. 

Would they have cared if I moved to Rogers? No of course not. I'm just one person. But if enough people jumped ship due to PM'S prices not being competitive, they would (or should) care. 

Michael77

@ute1978 wrote:

@Michael77 wrote:

I was just offered a postpaid Rogers plan that is comparable to my current PM plan.

Good luck with the crappy Rogers network.

Listen each provider has good and bad areas. I have a friend who lives north of me who says the Telus network is not good there. My work phone is Rogers and I have no issues with the service.

Michael77

@Poprocks wrote:

I think the glory days of Public Mobile have come to an end. I switched to Koodo to get the 10gigs for $60 deal, and I don't feel at all guilty for it as they are both under the Telus umbrella anyway!

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend like PM is truly a small company. This is all  game the Big 3 play to create the illusion of competition. 

So no big loss from their perspective as I just switched from one sister company to another. But PM should have at least matched with some extra perks or undercut the others to, say, $55/mo for 10gigs, but I guess they're not interested in even maintaining the illusion of staying competitive.

ute1978

@Michael77 wrote:

I was just offered a postpaid Rogers plan that is comparable to my current PM plan.

Good luck with the crappy Rogers network.

Poprocks

I think the glory days of Public Mobile have come to an end. I switched to Koodo to get the 10gigs for $60 deal, and I don't feel at all guilty for it as they are both under the Telus umbrella anyway!

Let's not kid ourselves and pretend like PM is truly a small company. This is all  game the Big 3 play to create the illusion of competition. 

So no big loss from their perspective as I just switched from one sister company to another. But PM should have at least matched with some extra perks or undercut the others to, say, $55/mo for 10gigs, but I guess they're not interested in even maintaining the illusion of staying competitive.

Michael77

It looks like Fido has now come out with a loyalty plan to prevent their existing customers jumping to Rogers. Where is the Koodo or PM plan? 😞

Michael77

Yes, the plan I was offered by Rogers has Nationwide calling and Roam like home. It has a lot of other good features that PM does not offer. But I am hoping that PM/Koodo could offer me and the two other people who may leave with me something similar. The one really good thing for me is that I will have a call centre to call. I much prefer to talk to a live agent. PM needs to understand that the other providers are more aggressively seeking new customers.

These plans are attractive, especially they have more supports methods.

jshmeek

@Garry wrote:

PM needs to offer 6GB/$40LTE with same perks as fall promo.......That would definately satisfy the masses to stay/join.....

Couldn't agree more. Big question is should that plan include province wide or Canada wide talk.

I just setup a new activation on Telus with the "widely publicized promo". Got it from a dealer that didn't charge an activation fee (the Telus/Koodo store in my mall wanted $35 + $20 for the SIM). I have dual sim on my phone so I will keep using my primary number for calls/texts on my Public account (good for two months).

If Public drops a plan similar to what you are saying, I'd definitely just post-date that plan on my account and cancel the Telus line (pro-rated bill and only out the SIM costs, $25 in my case, overpaid). Canada-wide is a plus for me, and I'd prefer if it was matched, but I doubt they will, they'd probably just offer provincial-wide to make it different and a little less frills. If a new promo like this doesn't come though, I'll probably port my number in the next two months.

Need Help? Let's chat.