cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marham and Richmond Hill reception question?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

anyone live in Markham or Richmond Hill can give me some insight about Public Mobile reception?

Markham: South of 16th/East of Rodrick  (Unionville)

North of 16th/ East of Kennedy (also called Upper Unionville)

Richmond Hill:  west beaver Creek road around Commerce Gate?

would like to confirm if reception (esp. voice call) is good and reliable.

26 REPLIES 26

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Probably just the symptoms of the phone hopping between two or three bands of service. the lower frequency bands have the greatest range, and indoor penetrations (ie 700, 800mhz) but more calls can be handled in an area if more phones use closer towers at higher bands (1900, 2100, 2600 mhz). Those higher bands will likely show a lower number of "bars" but you will get better/faster service due to not being shared by as many people, even with a lower number of "bars".

toa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the hint, I just tried switching to 'prefer 3G' instead of 'prefer LTE', but unfortunately the same result, I'm staying at the same spot in the house but the signal bar keeps changing between two to five! Sometimes even one bar or no bar

I am not thinking if your phone is defect. i  just wonder if the band issue.. but your phone .. have more compatible band with PM than Chatr..

did you try force your network setting to 3G only?

toa

Using redmi note 9 pro. I don't think it's an issue with my phone had no problem with Chatr before

@toa wrote:

I'm inside the house either on 1st or 2nd floor in a house near McCowan and 16th, didn't have this signal fluctuation issue before when I was with Chatr.  I think there's a tower near Kennedy/16th.

actually there is a Bell Tower right on McCowan and 16th.. and the area has more bell Towers than Roger's 

softech_0-1613752696952.png

What kind of phone do you have?

toa

but sometime it drops to no bar at all from 2 to 4 bars, I'm on the 1st or 2nd floor inside a house, that's weird. 

toa

I'm inside the house either on 1st or 2nd floor in a house near McCowan and 16th, didn't have this signal fluctuation issue before when I was with Chatr.  I think there's a tower near Kennedy/16th.

@toa wrote:

my signal often drops, changes from 2 to 5 bars, sometimes even no bar, so frustrating 

Phone will swtich to best network and frequency available. If it works, don't look at bars.

@toa wrote:

my signal often drops, changes from 2 to 5 bars, sometimes even no bar, so frustrating 

wow.. this is an old thread of mine..  🙂

you always have reception issue EVERYWHERE or just around a specific place like your home or work?

if only a specific place, try to see if the Telus/Bell towers are far away:

Canadian Cellular Towers Map (ertyu.org)

If problem everywhere, did you try changing your network from 4G/LTE or Auto to 3G?  Also, what kind of phone do you have?

toa

ruif71

I'm close by in Vaughan.  Reception is great!

@softech wrote:

.. sorry 2 more questions..

1. for the data.. is it I can use anywhere in Canada with no roaming?? as far as I know.. this is the case for regular plan like Roger's or telus..

2.  how about the unlimited Canadian call?  I like in Markham.. let say i have gone to Ottawa..  making calls.. do I get extra charge??

thanks

No problem for the question....

1.yes you can use your data anywhere in Canada.

2.Canada Wide minutes means you can call out and receive call from anywhere in Canada 

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech wrote:

1. for the data.. is it I can use anywhere in Canada with no roaming?? as far as I know.. this is the case for regular plan like Roger's or telus..

2.  how about the unlimited Canadian call?  I like in Markham.. let say i have gone to Ottawa..  making calls.. do I get extra charge??

thanks

@softech 

Yes..Canada wide if thatsthe plan you have..no extra fees or addons for that..

Pizzaeh

@softech wrote:

thanks

Great, questions....

The data, talk and text is for use anywhere in Canada!  There are plans with province-wide calling, but might as well go for the Canada-wide calling. 

Pizzaeh

@softech wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

. Is it prepaid or not?

current is a plan.. but done contract already

Great!  Activate the plan today, then you can port the number over whenever you like.  As @Lieux suggested, test it and make sure everything works for you before porting over your main number from the other carrier.

thanks

@Lieux wrote:

. Is it prepaid or not?

current is a plan.. but done contract already

@softech wrote:

I am using Koodo now.. my phone was from koodo.. so.. I guess I am good..

porting thr old number from Koodo to PM should be no problem??? since PM and Koodo are both Telus.. I would have much trouble.?

If you want to port your number from koodo to PM you need to have an ACTIVE number , account with them. If not you can't port your number. And the best way to port is to choose a number from PM first and when everything is ok with your new service to port your phone number to PM. Is it prepaid or not?

porting thr old number from Koodo to PM should be no problem??? since PM and Koodo are both Telus.. I would have much trouble.?

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@softech  Service is excellent there if your phone is fully compatible with the telus network

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The reception is great in densely populated areas. Only time I had poor reception is when travelling to cottage country. 

@softech wrote:

anyone live in Markham or Richmond Hill can give me some insight about Public Mobile reception?

Markham: South of 16th/East of Rodrick  (Unionville)

North of 16th/ East of Kennedy (also called Upper Unionville)

Richmond Hill:  west beaver Creek road around Commerce Gate?

would like to confirm if reception (esp. voice call) is good and reliable.

I haven't used it there,  but you'll likely be fine at those intersections.

There is a Bell cell site near the corner of 16th and Kennedy. There is also another near St Agnes Church at the corner of 16th Ave and Rodrick Road.  The cell site that you would be using is near West Beaver Creek/Commerce Gate is at Commerce Valley Drive West, half way between South Park Road and Leslie Street.

You can search for Bell cell sites (which Telus/Public Mobile uses in Ontario) here:  https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

819cookie

good and reliable

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@softech Look at the Telus coverage map for your area, the coverage will be the same as Public Mobile.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

FYI, if you have some friends/family with Bell, Virgin, Telus or Koodo, reception will be exactly the same, since PM is a Telus company and uses both Telus and Bell antennas 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.