cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS issue.

ApatheticFloW
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

So,I just got a new phone, Samsung A8, and when I write a text and it's too long it will then become and be sent as a MMS. But then I get a message saying when data becomes available that's when it wilm be sent to whomever I'm attempting to send it to. My old phone didn't do that so I figured it's  a setting in my phone, but I can't find or figure out what i'm to do in order for me to be able to send MMS's.

I do recall my older phone having more options when it came to data compared to my new phone which doesn't make sense, but unless I'm just not finding the right option to change in my data settings. Can it be at Public Mobiles end ?

Maybe I should take some screenshots of my phones data features via settings ?

20 REPLIES 20

ApatheticFloW

@Sekiro 

Ya I think your right. Maybe I should try to delete my newly created apn setting called Public Mobile in order to see if it still works once I revert back to what it was at. But, since all is working fine maybe I should just leave it as is.

Again, thx for all the feedback everyone  🙂

Sekiro
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As far as I know from my past Samsung devices, I never had to change or add APN and I've used all mobile carriers. You could try what you suggested and have mobile data on (no charge for sending MMS) and if it doesn't work then you know it is the APN but I suspect it had to do with your mobile data turned OFF.

ApatheticFloW

@Sekiro 

I guess it was off. But the reason it was a little confusing was because I had to go to settings,connections,data usage and under "Mobile" I had to toggle on where it said  "Mobile Data" "Access the internet through your mobile network".

I guess this was sufficient, but I wonder did I still have to create a new apn called Public Mobile as per mimmos post ? I guess I can revert that back to what it was in order to see if it was just the Mobile data that was off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

It's fixed 🙂

I changed it from just "Mobile Network" then created a new one called Public Mobile under "apn" settings and filled it out according to androids apn settings and pressed save.

I also clicked on "settings", "connections", "Data Usage", under "Mobile" I clicked on "Mobile Data" and turned it on.

Between the two changes I made it works. I'm not sure which one resulted in it working but il leave it the way it is since all seems to be working fine now.

Thx again everyone the help is super fast here I'm actually impressed with the community forums olm be honest.

Glad to hear it.

Yeah I call it crowd-sourced techsupp.

Don't let anybody tell you there's no support here.

(ok fine sure you might have to wait a day or two for deeper account issues)

Sekiro

So was mobile data off at first? I'm glad you finally figured it out!  

ApatheticFloW

It's fixed 🙂

I changed it from just "Mobile Network" then created a new one called Public Mobile under "apn" settings and filled it out according to androids apn settings and pressed save.

I also clicked on "settings", "connections", "Data Usage", under "Mobile" I clicked on "Mobile Data" and turned it on.

Between the two changes I made it works. I'm not sure which one resulted in it working but il leave it the way it is since all seems to be working fine now.

Thx again everyone the help is super fast here I'm actually impressed with the community forums olm be honest.

Sekiro

@ApatheticFloWNot sure if my S8+ and your A8 have the same UI but go to settings > connections > data usage. You should be able to toggle mobile data on and off from there. Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ApatheticFloW 

A text is about 160 characters. When you go more than that then the system cuts it up, sends each piece, and re-assembles at the other end.

It only really matters with the $10 plan.

ApatheticFloW

Tried sending a pic and it says "mobile data turned off. 

Wth I can't find that option to turn it on even though I see data and click in it but nowhere do I see turn on or off. I'll keep looking and or post some screenshots.

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

@RobertQc  your exactly right that's exactly what happens once I get to a certain number of caracters it triggers MMS automatically. 

I don't know if it's triggered at 1600 caracters or what the exact number is. I'd have to count them I guess.

@Anonymous  I just did what you recommended via my apn  settings. When I clicked on apn settings the option that was chosen was "mobile network"

I clicked on it and looked at the settings and instead of filling it out as per the androids apn settings I created a new one by pressing "add" and creating a whole new one called "Public Mobile" and then I filled it out according to androids apn settings that you provided me via ur link.  I'll send out a SMS and see if it converts to MMS once I get to certain amount of caracters and I'll see if it now works.

@ApatheticFloW  To test your mms, you can also send yourself a picture, or just hold the "send" button before you even start typing

ApatheticFloW

@RobertQc  your exactly right that's exactly what happens once I get to a certain number of caracters it triggers MMS automatically. 

I don't know if it's triggered at 1600 caracters or what the exact number is. I'd have to count them I guess.

@mimmo @ I just did what you recommended via my apn  settings. When I clicked on apn settings the option that was chosen was "mobile network"

I clicked on it and looked at the settings and instead of filling it out as per the androids apn settings I created a new one by pressing "add" and creating a whole new one called "Public Mobile" and then I filled it out according to androids apn settings that you provided me via ur link.  I'll send out a SMS and see if it converts to MMS once I get to certain amount of caracters and I'll see if it now works.

@ApatheticFloW 

"The character limit for a single SMS message is 160 characters, however most modern phones and networks support concatenation and segment and rebuild messages up to 1600 characters."

Is your message over 1600 characters?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Tony8 and @RobertQc. Life is grand to learn new things.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

So,I just got a new phone, Samsung A8, and when I write a text and it's too long it will then become and be sent as a MMS. But then I get a message saying when data becomes available that's when it wilm be sent to whomever I'm attempting to send it to. My old phone didn't do that so I figured it's  a setting in my phone, but I can't find or figure out what i'm to do in order for me to be able to send MMS's.

I do recall my older phone having more options when it came to data compared to my new phone which doesn't make sense, but unless I'm just not finding the right option to change in my data settings. Can it be at Public Mobiles end ?

I don't think length of text should trigger MMS. Include a picture or video or possibly group texting sure. But not length. It will count as multiple texts though.

I have seen a setting where once you reach a certain amount of characters it will convert automatically to mms. I remember this from old phones though. I first discovered it when it popped up, said "converting to mms" then I would hit backspace and it would convert back, then add 1 more character "converting to mms"

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I found this article, it explains that some phones auto-convert long SMS texts into MMS.

And how to turn it OFF. 🙂  Hope that helps.

http://innov8tiv.com/fix-sms-converting-to-mms-in-galaxy-and-other-android-phones-guide/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

I don't think length of text should trigger MMS. Include a picture or video or possibly group texting sure. But not length. It will count as multiple texts though.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi , I also had an issue sending MMS texts. The Data connection must be turned on on your phone. Also, as Mimmo said , you need the APN settings set properly, mine had a typo mistake. oops.

ApatheticFloW

@ShawnC13 That's just it, it is turned on according to me, but I could be wrong, well wrong I the sense that it doesn't say 'turn on, or off'.  I'll take some screenshots and post them for u guys to see.

@mimmo  I'll look into that now thx for the info.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ApatheticFloW wrote:

Make sure data is turned on.  It won't use any of your plan data but it needs to be turned on

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

you probably need to set up your phones apn settings.  MMS uses/needs  data (at no cost) to send mms.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Need Help? Let's chat.