cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS - With data turned off

shafarrah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am on the $15 plan for my kid. She keeps the data off to make sure that she only uses the 250mb in case of an emergency.

We wanted to setup a group sms chat - myself, spouse and kid. It's not working and I think it has to do with mobile data and APN maybe.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get it to work with data turned off?

Is MMS included in the unlimited text package (can you send pics, etc)? 

Thanks!

36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@geopublic nice!  I don't have that setting on my OnePlus 7 (nor have I seen it on my past OP5T and OP3).  What phone is that?  

Nor my stock S7 that has been upgraded to stock A8. But it does this flip into data and off just to send an MMS. I've yet to find a setting for it to at least control it. I'm fine with it. Just would be interesting to be able to control it.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@Jb456 wrote:

@geopublic  lucky you. I think pixel was one of the first to get android 10 maybe that's why you have that feature.

I'm only on 9.1 and other sites say Huawei P20 will only get android 10 next year ,😓 guess it on/off data for awhile for MMS lol

Yup. 🙂 Plus RCS is also working for me on Public. 👍

@geopublic sweeeet.  I'm Jelly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Jb456 wrote:

@geopublic  lucky you. I think pixel was one of the first to get android 10 maybe that's why you have that feature.

I'm only on 9.1 and other sites say Huawei P20 will only get android 10 next year ,😓 guess it on/off data for awhile for MMS lol

Yup. 🙂 Plus RCS is also working for me on Public. 👍

Stay Safe!

srlawren

@geopublic wrote:

@srlawren  It's a Pixel.

@geopublic cool.  Maybe that's an Android 10 setting then?  Maybe I'll get it with OxygenOS 10 at some point in the next couple of months.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren  It's a Pixel.

srlawren

@geopublic wrote:

Screenshot_20190911-200947.png

@geopublic nice!  I don't have that setting on my OnePlus 7 (nor have I seen it on my past OP5T and OP3).  What phone is that?  

Screenshot_20190911-200947.png

Stay Safe!

shafarrah

@geopublic wrote:

@shafarrah 

Procedure
  1. Open Android Messages.
  2. Tap the 3 dots in the top right corner.
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Advanced.
  5. Make sure Auto-download MMS is toggled right, it will turn blue.
  6. Make sure Auto-download MMS when roaming is toggled right, it will turn blue.

Checked and auto download mms was already blue. Still need to figure a solution without turning on data. 

On Android 10 not sure about other versions once you turn data off an option appears on the same screen Send MMS when data is off. Once you select that option MMS works without data having to be on.

I'm gonna try this too.

@geopublic wrote:

@shafarrah 

Procedure
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Advanced.
  6. Make sure Auto-download MMS when roaming is toggled right, it will turn blue.

It did not work for me, but would appreciate any thought you might put into it. I toggle my data on and off as I only have 1GB. This would really help me too.

@Jb456 wrote:

@ChuckYeah  don't have time to test at moment..but I wonder if MMS was put FIRST  in this line default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

I like @ChuckYeah's idea. Only keep mms for APN type.

If you ever need to use data, change it to default, mms. You don't really need the other ones.

@shafarrah 

Procedure
  3. Tap Settings.
  4. Tap Advanced.

Stay Safe!

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

OK, I'm going to need some help to turn this into a solution if it can be. I have a MOTO G3 and I adjusted my APN settings to this to get the desired results. Pay special attention the the bold type. However, it REPLACED my original APN settings. Is there any way to get both of these to stay as options under APN and switch back and forth.

Name: MMS only
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F 

The only problem is it replaces the regular APN settings as shown below.

Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: GID
MVNO value: 4D4F

Does anyone know how to make both of these avalable and just switch between them, or is it possible?

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Curiously, my Samsung S7 will do this on its own. I can have data turned off. Send an MMS and watch the little LTE icon come on for a moment and the MMS has sent. It doesn't grab the data buffer either.

@Anonymous oh?  Interesting.  I wonder if other phones can do that as well.  

@shafarrah what kind of phone is your wife using?  That would help us suggest options for controlling data usage.

My S8+ doesn't do this. I have to manually toggle data on for MMS. Maybe there is a setting I can find if I dig deep enough. Gave me something to do for the evening I guess... 

Stay Safe!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@srlawren wrote:

@shafarrah wrote:

Just to add some details.

My wife has a Samsung S7. No data. Voice and text plan only. Data is still turned off though on her phone and MMS works.

Daughter has a Moto G6. $15 plan on PM. I want to keep data OFF and still be able to use MMS. Why is this not possible??

@shafarrah you would have to ask Motorola why it's not possible.  I'm really surprised to hear this works on an S7, but both you and @Anonymous have said it does so I guess that's true.  Samsung must have done something proprietary, but on almost any other device I've heard of, you have to have your mobile data turned on in order to send or receive MMS messages.  

@srlawren 

I think there was another phone mentioned by maybe @Jb456 maybe a Huawei.

Certainly my old BB OS10 needed data on.

srlawren

@shafarrah wrote:

My wife has a Samsung S7. No data. Voice and text plan only. Data is still turned off though on her phone and MMS works.

Daughter has a Moto G6. $15 plan on PM. I want to keep data OFF and still be able to use MMS. Why is this not possible??

@shafarrah you would have to ask Motorola why it's not possible.  I'm really surprised to hear this works on an S7, but both you and @Anonymous have said it does so I guess that's true.  Samsung must have done something proprietary, but on almost any other device I've heard of, you have to have your mobile data turned on in order to send or receive MMS messages.  

shafarrah

@shafarrah wrote:

Am on the $15 plan for my kid. She keeps the data off to make sure that she only uses the 250mb in case of an emergency.

We wanted to setup a group sms chat - myself, spouse and kid. It's not working and I think it has to do with mobile data and APN maybe.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get it to work with data turned off?

Is MMS included in the unlimited text package (can you send pics, etc)? 

Thanks!

The one way that I can think of is this: delete the Public Mobile main APN if your device allows you or even just deberately break if with a mispelling so you easily change it back.

Then create a new APN.

Name: Can be anything

APN:  aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMSC:  http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS Proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS Port: 8799

APN type: mms

I have not checked if this works as my phone does not let me remove then preset APN.

@GR wrote:

@shafarrah  with bell you can put a data block and pay 2$ a month to be able to use mms!  What kind of phone does your daughter have?

Unfortunately, Public Mobile does not offer this.

@srlawren wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Curiously, my Samsung S7 will do this on its own. I can have data turned off. Send an MMS and watch the little LTE icon come on for a moment and the MMS has sent. It doesn't grab the data buffer either.

@shafarrah what kind of phone is your wife using?  That would help us suggest options for controlling data usage.

@srlawren , it’s the daughters phone with the issue.  Wife’s device is with Bell, no data bucket, but does send MMS.

srlawren

@Anonymous wrote:

srlawren

@stonechucker wrote:

Simple answer.  Turn the data on, it will not count against the small data.  MMS requires data to be turned on, but will not use the included bucket of data.

@stonechucker it's not quite that simple: they're not worried about MMS data usage, they're worried about incidental data usage while data is enabled for the MMS messaging.

Simple answer.  Turn the data on, it will not count against the small data.  MMS requires data to be turned on, but will not use the included bucket of data.

If on an iPhone, it actually uses data bucket if using the fancy iMessage setting turned on, unless connected to WiFi.

Your wife’s plan has no data bucket with Bell, but sends MMS at no usage while her data option is enabled.

If your daughters small bucket of data runs out, the MMS will continue to work, even without a scrap of data available.  It’s zero-rated...Iaka free.

@shafarrah wrote:

@RossN wrote:

@shafarrah hi data needs to be turned on for mms but does not use your available data, that being said other things could use your data example background apps Smiley Happy sms on the other hand does not need data enabled 

That's why I don't want data left on...

My wife is on Bell and has no data at all. Yet, she can do MMS...So there must be a way.

Your wifes works because as mentioned MMS does not require data but it does need data turned on even though she doesn't have any. My daughter is on the same plan and she also turns data off but I tested it and like @GR mentioned if you have everything under Cellular Data turned off except phone than it will work fine and not use data. 

@Anonymous I just tested and it is like GR mentioned!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shafarrah wrote:

@RossN wrote:

@shafarrah hi data needs to be turned on for mms but does not use your available data, that being said other things could use your data example background apps Smiley Happy sms on the other hand does not need data enabled 

That's why I don't want data left on...

My wife is on Bell and has no data at all. Yet, she can do MMS...So there must be a way.

I'm not an Apple guy so I won't comment on iphones.

Need Help? Let's chat.