cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS - With data turned off

shafarrah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Am on the $15 plan for my kid. She keeps the data off to make sure that she only uses the 250mb in case of an emergency.

We wanted to setup a group sms chat - myself, spouse and kid. It's not working and I think it has to do with mobile data and APN maybe.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get it to work with data turned off?

Is MMS included in the unlimited text package (can you send pics, etc)? 

Thanks!

36 REPLIES 36

@shafarrah  with bell you can put a data block and pay 2$ a month to be able to use mms!  What kind of phone does your daughter have?

shafarrah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@RossN wrote:

@shafarrah hi data needs to be turned on for mms but does not use your available data, that being said other things could use your data example background apps Smiley Happy sms on the other hand does not need data enabled 

That's why I don't want data left on...

My wife is on Bell and has no data at all. Yet, she can do MMS...So there must be a way.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@shafarrah hi data needs to be turned on for mms but does not use your available data, that being said other things could use your data example background apps Smiley Happy sms on the other hand does not need data enabled 

@shafarrah  is it an iPhone?  If so you can go in cellular settings and toggle off all apps using data except phone and that way the iMessage and mms will work!  If it's android it can be done too  

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@shafarrah When testing for internet use with data as @Anonymous said, turn wifi off so it does not take over.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shafarrah wrote:

Am on the $15 plan for my kid. She keeps the data off to make sure that she only uses the 250mb in case of an emergency.

We wanted to setup a group sms chat - myself, spouse and kid. It's not working and I think it has to do with mobile data and APN maybe.

Can anyone shed some light on how to get it to work with data turned off?

Is MMS included in the unlimited text package (can you send pics, etc)? 

Thanks!

Data needs to be on for MMS.

Can the phone browse the internet with the browser using the data?

Find your phone on this list:
Officially Recognized APN Reference

If your phone isn't there maybe these might work:
APN Settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc