cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to switch my dad over to Public

andsoitgoes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

With the current offer I’m thinking of switching my father in law over to Public from bell. 

Its a decision  between Public and Freedom. 

Our main goal is both Canada and US phone calls with a very minimum amount of data. 

The cost for freedom is fairly low and there’s an additional discount for adding another line on, but I also appreciate the coverage is kind of spotty as a 2 year member of freedom. 

The biggest consideration is cost, if I was to get a basic plan, what kind of cost would I be looking at through public? I have tried to build the plan but I don’t have a sim to work with. 

Thanks in advance!

21 REPLIES 21

Hedwig649

First off, I definitely agree with your assessment of Freedom's coverage! I just switched from Freedom (so Icm a little biased). Depending on how much data is needed, I think that Public Mobile is more economical. I didn't use the build a plan, so I can't offer too much there. But if he uses less than a gig or two of data and doesn't much travel outside of Canada, I would recomend Public Mobile over Freedom.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sunflowershine wrote:

@andsoitgoes Good News! This is a good choice to sign in this weekend. For US calling, you can use the FREE calling apps such as TextNow or Fongo. You don't need to pay for extra cost as long as you can have data or wifi. 

Incorrect, at least for Fongo. It's a free CANADA calling app. While the US/international long distance rates are competitive, you'd still have to buy a calling package through the VoIP app.

Now, Magicjack, I believe, can do unlimited Canada/US. Haven't used in awhile, but you used to be able to get an app for free.

@andsoitgoes wrote:

I have all my own accounts with freedom so it’s an additional few dollars more off each added account (to a max of 5)

so to confirm freedom nets 500mb with unlimited US/Canada calling for $30, closer to $26/27 with it being tied to my account (plan is $25 + $5 for us calling)

Thanks for your explanation. For most customers, apples-to-apples comparison would be $30 vs $33.

Looks like you may already be leaning towards Freedom Mobile. Ultimately the choice is yours, whether the better coverage is worth the additional cost.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Just a reminder that Public Mobile also offers these rewards

Public Mobile's general reward rules

smp99

@GinYVR wrote:

@andsoitgoes US calling is $8 / 10 days https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans.. it starts counting when you activate it.. so it is not bankable.. be aware of that.

@andsoitgoes wrote:

I have all my own accounts with freedom so it’s an additional few dollars more off each added account (to a max of 5)

so to confirm freedom nets 500mb with unlimited US/Canada calling for $30, closer to $26/27 with it being tied to my account (plan is $25 + $5 for us calling)

the US Calling $8 for 10 days is for US roaming while you are in th States, this is not for calling the USA while you are in Canada.

The $8 / 200mins and $15/400mins addons are the options you want to call the USA if you do not already have USA calling included in your plan. 

Having said that, you can skip the ready-made plans and build your own. There is an option in build your own to inlcude unlimited US calling, you do not have jump all the way up to the $50 ready-made plan to get US calling. 

I am not sure why you said 850mhz has better signal.. the lower the frequency, the better the building penetration.. so 700mhz should be better.. However there are more 850mhz repeaters being deployed.

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@andsoitgoes 

The biggest change for you might be no call centre if things go wrong, and much better signal.  Because Public Mobile has 850MHz on 3g, better indoor signal at Public.  Freedom has some 700MHz but you have to have phone that does voice on LTE for phone calls and Telus has 700MHz too but more towers.

@andsoitgoes US calling is $8 / 10 days https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans.. it starts counting when you activate it.. so it is not bankable.. be aware of that.

@andsoitgoes wrote:

andsoitgoes
@sunflowershine wrote:

@andsoitgoes Good News! This is a good choice to sign in this weekend. For US calling, you can use the FREE calling apps such as TextNow or Fongo. You don't need to pay for extra cost as long as you can have data or wifi. 

From May 25 to May 26, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on a $25+ plan (Ready-Made plans only) can get a one-time bonus 5 GB of data. This will be applied as an Add-On. Plus, until May 31, 2019 at 11:59PM ET we are offering a $0 SIM card when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! These offers are available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• Bonus 5 GB of data: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card online or in-store at a participating retailer on a $25+/mo Ready-Made plan from May 25 until May 26 2019, you will get a one-time bonus 5 GB of data.
    • Participating retailers include:
      • Public Mobile Kiosks
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
      • Select Koodo Authorized Dealers
    • Eligible customers will be provided the one-time 5 GB data Add-On within 7 days.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the bonus has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.

• $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get him hooked up to any of the VOIP apps, he’s barely able to work with what he’s got let alone adding more complexity on. 

andsoitgoes

sunflowershine

From May 25 to May 26, 2019 at 11:59PM ET, customers who activate online or in-store at participating retailers on a $25+ plan (Ready-Made plans only) can get a one-time bonus 5 GB of data. This will be applied as an Add-On. Plus, until May 31, 2019 at 11:59PM ET we are offering a $0 SIM card when you activate a 30-day plan in-store at participating retailers! These offers are available to new customers only.

How to Get this Offer:

• Bonus 5 GB of data: When you activate a Public Mobile SIM card online or in-store at a participating retailer on a $25+/mo Ready-Made plan from May 25 until May 26 2019, you will get a one-time bonus 5 GB of data.
      • Public Mobile Kiosks
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique
      • K-Mobile
    • Eligible customers will be provided the one-time 5 GB data Add-On within 7 days.
    • Eligible customers will receive a confirmation text message shortly after the bonus has been applied to your account. These details can also be found by signing in to your Self-Serve account.

• $0 SIM Card: SIM cards will be $0 when you activate in-store only at participating retailers.
      • Walmart
      • London Drugs
      • The Mobile Shop
      • WOW! mobile boutique

@andsoitgoes, As fas as I can tell, the Freedom 500 plan is $25 and US calling Add-On is $5 which brings the total to $30.

Can you please provide more info on where you saw the Freedom 500 plan and US calling Add-On for $26?

The same Public Mobile plan is $33 with AutoPay, which means the difference is only $3?

This difference can be reduced further with other PM rewards, such as refer-a-friend.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andsoitgoes 

Down on the bottom of this page is the link to Coverage Maps.

Freedom has some presence in the Lower Mainland but they are not a useful option where I am up in the interior. Telus et al all the way.

@andsoitgoes 

The biggest change for you might be no call centre if things go wrong, and much better signal.  Because Public Mobile has 850MHz on 3g, better indoor signal at Public.  Freedom has some 700MHz but you have to have phone that does voice on LTE for phone calls and Telus has 700MHz too but more towers.

andsoitgoes

Thanks so much everyone!

we are in the west, Vancouver area. I know Public coverage is pretty stellar in comparison. 

I know for talk time unlimited is a must. Looking at the plan builder (I don’t know how I missed it!) the unlimited talk/text/500mb dats would be perfect. The best approximation would be the Freedom 500 plan with the US calling add on, bringing the total to $26/month  

the question I have is coverage. I need to review the maps in comparison, but I’m just gonna take a wild swing and assume Public is going to cover a LOT more area vs Freedom... I’m just not sure if that coverage is worth it for the added cost. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@andsoitgoesIt depends on where you are located. It seems PM has a bit of problems out East.. if you are there, then I would suggest Lucky instead of PM.. Yes they might share the same networks, but provisioning and backends etc are different, I would prefer going wtih a provider that has home game advantage.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I like my $15 (-$2 with auto pay) Plan with 100 Canada Min/Unlimited incoming min Talk/Unlimited Text/250Mb Data. If i want US calling I can buy a 200 min US/Canada Talk Add-on  for $8, and the minutes carry over until used up. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@LovesToPM I beleive the announcement said ready made plans only.  So none of build your plan are eligible if those are what you are referring to in your post. 

@LovesToPM wrote:

This might be the best Build-you-own-plan for your dad's needs.

=> $35 for unlimited Canada-wide and to the U.S. calling, unlimited International Texting & 500 MB Data at 3G speed
=> $40 for unlimited Canada-wide and to the U.S. calling, unlimited International Texting & 1 GB Data at 3G speed

You are also eligible for FLASH SALE! Activate any $25+/mo plan and get a bonus 5 GB of data + get a SIM for $0 and the $10 Refer-a-friend reward.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

On average how many Minutes a month do you call the USA. Say 200? If so 400 long distance minutes at15$ =7.5$/month

Choosing the 25$plan becomes $ 32.50/month - rewards say $2 for autopay =30.5

Remember only pre-made plans count for the promo. 

This might be the best Build-you-own-plan for your dad's needs.

=> $35 for unlimited Canada-wide and to the U.S. calling, unlimited International Texting & 500 MB Data at 3G speed
=> $40 for unlimited Canada-wide and to the U.S. calling, unlimited International Texting & 1 GB Data at 3G speed

You are also eligible for the $10 Refer-a-friend reward and free SIM this weekend.

EDIT: With the ready-made plans, you are eligible for FLASH SALE! Activate any $25+/mo plan and get a bonus 5 GB of data + get a SIM for $0

Anonymous
Not applicable

@LovesToPM wrote:

Scroll a bit downward for the "Build your own plan" section.

=> $40 plan for with unlimited Canada & USA calling.

Add text and 500mb 3G data to that and you get $35 🙂

That was actually the first plan I signed up for when I got here a year ago.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

You do not require a SIM to build your plan.

You can check here https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans to see ready-made plans.

For Canada-Wide calling, basic Public Mobile plans are as follows

=> $10 plan for 50 minutes Canada-Wide calling.

=> $15 plan for 100 minutes out-going & unlimited incoming calling.

Scroll a bit downward for the "Build your own plan" section.

=> $40 plan for with unlimited Canada & USA calling.

Sign-up for Preauthorized Payment and monthly plan price is reduced by $2.

You can also get Calling Add-Ons for additional talk time

=> $8 for 200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes (4 cents per minute).
=> $15 for 400 International Long Distance minutes (3.73 cents per minute).

These Add-Ons do not expire as long as you have an active plan. Unused minutes roll-over to the next cycle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@andsoitgoes 

There's a promo starting tomorrow and just for the weekend that starts with the $25 plan which is its own promo. The only ready-made-plan with Canada/US calling is $50 that comes with 8.5gb data which you've said you don't need.

So the weekend promo would give you 5gb on top of the repeating 1gb in the plan. That 5gb will hang around until you use it, all the while using the 1gb first each term. So it could take a while to use it all if he's a light data user.

Then you get either the 200 minute or 400 long distance add-on which also hangs around until you use it all. I've been on the 200 minute since September. They both give you US calling. (the 400 has some other countries)

Edit: outside of current promos, there's the $15 plan and the basic $10 plan. Neither are eligible for the weekend promo. The $15 plan is very attractive for the unlimited incoming calling and a little bit of data. You could do add-ons here as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.