cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for information about this phone company

coolson212
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I've just come across to your website for a new phone company and you got Services located where my city is. What is public mobile who runs the company what do you guys offer and how do you guys work like you guys got no information like that like are you guys are brother or sister Rogers Telus Bell what
9 REPLIES 9

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

also note, some features from Telus are currently not availale on PM, like Wifi Calling, VoLTE, Visual Voicemail. 

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@coolson212

I have not seen this mentioned in previous posts so please be aware that since this service is completely online, the differences between a traditional service from Rogers, Bell, Telus, Koodo, etc. are:

1. You get your sim from ordering online and receive it in the mail.

2. Plan lengths differ from traditional carriers. That is, you have a 90 day plan option which means that whatever plan you choose, it is what you get for the duration of the 90 days. In other words, if you choose 1GB of data on a 90 day plan, it is NOT 1GB per month but 1GB for 90 days. This roughly equates to 333MB per month.

2a. Activation of the SIM and plan as well as your phone number port is done by YOU on the PM website. So please make sure your accounts on other carriers are in order and you follow the instructions to the "T".

3. You get rewards for participating in the forums, autopay, and referrals. Depending on how active you are, this can add up to significant savings.

4. If you run into issues, your only form of customer service is here on the forums. There isn't anybody to call.

5. Unlike traditional carriers, there is no roaming outside of North America. Period.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

jpar

PM started as an independent CDMA carrier, but was purchased by Telus a couple years ago so coverage is that of the Telus network now (LTE and HSPA/UMTS).

Spoiler
"Public Mobile is owned by Telus" Smiley LOL

@coolson212 many replies, none are complete though Cat Very Happy

Public is indeed owned by Telus as mentioned multiple times above

Therefore you are usually on Telus towers in Western Canada and Bell towers in Eastern Canada

You will roam (freely) on other networks however; Rogers, SaskTel & Videotron being the most well known names in their respective provinces

Manitoba is a bit tricky since the takeover and breakup of MTS is still ongoing; I would suspect you get Bell in most areas. Telus had very limited coverage in this area.

A good link to see is here if you wish to get into which specific towers are being used 

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Raven_Jet
PM is owned and operated by Telus mobility and they run on Telus and Bell towers. The LTE speed you experience is the same as what Bell, Telus or Koodo. The reason they can offer such a great deal is they don't have stores or customer service call centres.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @coolson212,

Public Mobile is owned by Telus and operates on Telus' national network.  Its 100% prepaid service.  No contracts.  Bring your own phone.  

There are no retail stores or call centers.  Everything is online.  You can order a sim card online and then sign up online in minutes to have a working mobile phone line.  Plans are very competitively priced and you get chances to lower your bill further by earning rewards.  The 90-day plans offer the best value.  

Most of your account management can be done via selfserve to your account.  If you need more help, there are mods in this community who are online 7 days a week.  You can send private message to these mods and they take care of you.  

Spend some time on the main webpage https://publicmobile.ca/ to familiarize yourself and ask if you any specific questions.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@coolson212, Public Mobile is owned by Telus and runs on Telus/Bell Towers across the country.  It is a online service model with no call centre to call to for assistance.  All customer service is through this community or social media like Twitter and Facebook.  Here is where you can go to find out abut plans and pricing https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans.  Unless you are just province wide or Canada wide calling you should really verifythat the service will work for you and what it provides

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile is owned By Telus. And in terms of reception they use both Telus and Bell Towers (Part of an agreement between Telus and Bell). Public Mobile is strickly online based so there are no physical stores, and is a pre-paid service rather than post paid.

Since this is online, its a sim only service so you need an unlocked phone, or a phone locked to telus or Koodo.

Plans are offered based on 10/30 or 90 days. So if you have a 90 plan with data say 12gb, you have 12gb to use over those 3 months. If you have any more questions you can always ask 

Need Help? Let's chat.