cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a second line ... CHEAP

vacek
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My wife and I both have PM accounts and are very happy with them.

I now have a need to activate a 3rd iPhone I have here, for the sole purpose of us having a phone for babysitters to use, on the rare occasion we have one looking after our daughter.

Looking for an ultra cheap solution so we have a phone here, with like 50 minutes monthly (dont need SMS, data, etc .....)

I know I can cobble together some 3rd party solution via WiFi, but really like the phone to be activated and have no hang ups making phone calls.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

26 REPLIES 26

vacek

@vacek  Next up you refer the babysitter to public mobile!

Public mobiles competitors have been offering promotions hopefully they get their act together and offer a leap year promotion or something this week. But those rewards can really reduce your bill quickly especially on the $15 plan.

vacek

Thanks everyone for the replies. Lots of options but I have settled on the $15 PM plan for all the reasons that were pointed out.

Now, to get some of those sweet rewards on that new line 😉 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster 

My brain hurts. 🙂

@Anonymous 

Are you saying I should not be posting with a headache? 😉

My beef was mainly a)w that random $4.75 / month and b) the different usage patterns in the comparison: an emergency phone in the drawer vs using this phone like a every day low-ish usage phone.

No explanation needed. Just all these gyrations of math that all you clever folks do.

I'm like...me..pay less...good...rrrr...where's that bronto-burger I ordered.

@wetcoaster  Ok that was some bad math on my part. Based on a $35 yearly voucher and the 911 fee its more like $4.25 a month......

@Anonymous wrote:

@wetcoaster 

My brain hurts. 🙂

@Anonymous 

Are you saying I should not be posting with a headache? 😉

My beef was mainly a)w that random $4.75 / month and b) the different usage patterns in the comparison: an emergency phone in the drawer vs using this phone like a every day low-ish usage phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wetcoaster 

My brain hurts. 🙂

@darlicious wrote:

I agree....not having to really about pay per use  and the option to use it for more than an emergency contact public mobile comes out on top. The speak out phone costs $4.75 @a month just to sit there and do nothing. $7.25 more per month and public mobile has many more features that can be used. Free incoming calls, 100 minutes of outgoing with the $5/500 min add on available  and this is without any promotion to help reduce the cost.

But if the phone just sits there for 365 days ready to be used in an emergency (ie we are comparing apples and apples in terms of usage pattern) (12.166 x $13) - $10 referral bonus = $148.16 + tax for the first year with  Public Mobile.

Going for the Public Mobile $10 plan when it was offered, was a solid choice for minimal to very light talk usage.  Alas, my time machine is not working today.

Also, as additional info, because I'm not sure where your $4.75 come from, ... The service fee at SpeakOut is $1.25/month or $15/365days. As long as you are toping up before the expiry date the remainder (with the smallest top up, $25 that would be $10 if the phone was just staying in a drawer) of your current cycle is carried over.

@iPhoneUser wrote:
. Annnnd what baby sitter, today, does not have their own phone?

My thoughts exactly - how many kids these days, over the age of 12, DO NOT have a phone of their own!?

I agree....not having to worry about pay per use and the option to use it for more than an emergency contact public mobile comes out on top. The speak out phone costs $4.75 a month just to sit there and do nothing. $7.25 more per month and public mobile has many more features that can be used. Free incoming calls, 100 minutes of outgoing with the $5/500 min add on available  and this is without any promotion to help reduce the cost.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes that is what I was trying to qualify for the "baby sitter". My past post was for a baby sitter only. 

To your extent PM would be better to control. $15 - $2 minus any other rewards. 

An extra phone can be used for other things, not just assigned to a babysitter.

Can always be handy if you entertain visitors from other countries, if you need a backup phone, if you set up a Find My Device group on all your phones, if there are times you want your child to carry a phone.

iPhoneUser

@scorpio17 wrote:

0.25c * 50 minutes = 12.5$ / month. Also 35$ / year ~= 3$ / month. $1.25 - 911 fee. 12.5+3+1.25 = 16.75$

I think even PM 15$ plan is better and it is not the cheapest option.

So the question is value wise Speak Out vs Public Mobile.  How often is the baby sitter employed? Does the employer not have a land line? Back in the 70's a baby sitter would NOT take the children out of the house. Annnnd what baby sitter, today, does not have their own phone?

scorpio17

0.25c * 50 minutes = 12.5$ / month. Also 35$ / year ~= 3$ / month. $1.25 - 911 fee. 12.5+3+1.25 = 16.75$

I think even PM 15$ (13$ with autopay) plan is better and it is not the cheapest option.

@sunflowershine wrote:

@vacek Actually you can think about having Speakout (7 Eleven) that is using Rogers network. You can buy of $35 of prepaid voucher (free SIM card before March 3). That $35 will be good for a year. 911 free will be deducted each month. $0.25 per minute. It is a good deal for low usage. 

iPhoneUser

@sunflowershine wrote:

@vacek Actually you can think about having Speakout (7 Eleven) that is using Rogers network. You can buy of $35 of prepaid voucher (free SIM card before March 3). That $35 will be good for a year. 911 free will be deducted each month. $0.25 per minute. It is a good deal for low usage. 

I agree the best bet is $35 for a year.  Just keep in mind that Speakout and the Petro Canada plans piggy back off of Rogers. You may want to verify Rogers' recepiton in your area. 

DOA

Sunflowershine wins this one.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would think that pay as you go type format would be a better fit.  This service is prepaid which is like postpaid without the overage concerns.

Lucky has a $15 plan with similar provisions. Immediately cheaper because you can grab a Lucky SIM for $4 at Dollarama.

But PM's $15 plan with AutoPay and Referral will come out ahead (after Referral credit is given) and continue to cost you less (after Rewards break even the SIM+plan costs on second billing cycle). And it's strictly prepaid calling/data, your babysitter won't be able to surprise you with the added costs of "Service Pass" overages. And PM applies no charges for Suspension or Reactivation, so you can allow the service to lapse for long periods when you won't need babysitters (just not so long that the account is Terminated).

It's so cheap that you could even buy phone service for your babysitter on a continuing basis, lol.

@vacek  The only option at the moment is @Jb456  suggestion of the $15 plan unless you luck out and see commentary of someone wanting to leave public mobile or upgrade from the former $10 50/50 plan. But if you can wait out another week or two for a flash sale to come up or a bonus referral credit promotion the credit you can recieve for activating then will help bring the averaged monthly bill for the third phone down to around $10 per month. Already at $13 with Auto pay....if you count the $1 referral reward you will recieve makes it $12 a free SIM card will bring it to about $11 for the first year. So getting a free month credit will bring it to under $10.(Even if you have to activate it at $25 to qualify for a free month credit) switching it the following month to the $15 will net you the extra credit and drop it below $9 a month averaged over a year....when loyalty kicks in for an additional $1 off per month. By the time your child wants a phone it'll be $8 a month!

@vacek 

Also don't forget to use your referral code. So new account will get a $10 sign up bonus and you will earn $1 off per 30 days as a reward.

If you don't have a sim yet

You could try Walmart they may give one free if you activate it in store.

If you want $5 add-on for 500 minutes.. it's a two step process. Guide below.

Guide click here 

Anonymous
Not applicable

There used to be a $10 plan here with 50 total minutes, 50 outgoing texts.

I'm not sure how one would go about handing an account over to someone else but maybe someone here would be willing to.

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

With PM the option would be 15$ plan with 100mins , unlimited incoming, and 250mb data with autopay.

Other option i got my mom was 25$ speakout phone plan from 7-11.

Its pay per use mins which works out for her and the 25$ lasts 365days or until its all used up.

Hope this helps

Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@vacek the cheapest option here is the $15 plan. 100 Canada wide minutes with unlimited texting. You can also use the $5, 500 minute add on. 

@vacek wrote:

My wife and I both have PM accounts and are very happy with them.

I now have a need to activate a 3rd iPhone I have here, for the sole purpose of us having a phone for babysitters to user, on the rare occasion we have one looking after our daughter.

Looking for an ultra cheap solution so we have a phone here, with like 50 minutes monthly (dont need SMS, data, etc .....)

I know I can cobble together some 3rd party solution via WiFi, but really like the phone to be activated and have no hang ups making phone calls.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Cheapest plan is the $15 plan. $13 with autopay. Plus 250mb data bonus with autopay

Unlimited incoming calls. 100 outgoing minutes. Unlimited text

You can buy 500 Canada wide extra minutes for $5 as an addon which rolls over each 30 days until used up.

Need Help? Let's chat.