cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legit Tech Support texts from 416-

sonician
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Someone is texting me about my dropped calls issue from last week via the above number. Is this a legit number that Public Mobile would contact me from?

Edited topic to remove phone number - Stonechucker

9 REPLIES 9

@CanadianStoner wrote:

I thought they only contacted you through the website @computergeek541 ? 

Usually, that is the case but some customers have been contacted by phone in the past from the number porting department.

CanadianStoner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I thought they only contacted you through the website @computergeek541 ? 

@sonician wrote:

Right, but how did they get my number if it's a random forum person? And why are they closing a ticket?

I'd still like an official explanation from the @CS_Agent one way or the other. This is *super* sketchy.

If you have any concern, you should contact Moderator Team:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@sonician wrote:

Them: Hello Tech support here
Them: Are you still having issues with dropped calls?
Me: Who's this?
Them: Tech support here
Me: Tech support from who?
Them: Public Mobile
Me: Everything is fixed. Pardon my suspicion, I've never received any support via text from PM before.
Them: Oh, okay
Them: No worries I will close the ticket have a great day
This was the entirety of the conversation. They knew my first name (removed from above), my personal cell phone number, and were quite sketchy, in my opinion.

The identity was only displayed as the phone number above, I never received a PM from anyone at Public Mobile, and they never identified themselves.

It's not impossible, but I would be skeptical.  Normally, they would reply using the Community private mesaaging system. I have heard of Public Mobile sometimes calling customers in some isolated cases when there is number porting involved.

Based on the message content posted above, I don't see any harm from that short conversation.  However, if someome starts asking for any information, I wouldn't provide it by text message, but instead send a mesaage to Moderator_Team in private to continue any needed discussions.

sonician

Right, but how did they get my number if it's a random forum person? And why are they closing a ticket?

I'd still like an official explanation from the @CS_Agent one way or the other. This is *super* sketchy.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@sonician wrote:

Me: Everything is fixed. Pardon my suspicion, I've never received any support via text from PM before.
This was the entirety of the conversation. They knew my first name (removed from above), my personal cell phone number, and were quite sketchy, in my opinion.

The identity was only displayed as the phone number above, I never received a PM from anyone at Public Mobile, and they never identified themselves.

I've seen random forum people claiming to be "PM Support". Also there's a lack of punctuations so it's probably not real

sonician

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This doesn't look legit to me.  What is the worst that can happen, try responding to the text.  Just don't supply personal information. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I would think if they're going to contact you from the support centre, you'd get a message via private message first, so you would know to expect it.

I did once get a call for support help from a Caller ID of 'TELUS' for a ticket.  It was identified by the call display, so that was okay to me.

I don't know if this is a valid support SMS or not.

Need Help? Let's chat.