cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: LUCKY MOBILE

@Colinh90 wrote:

I've tried both but stayed with Lucky, it has better coverage

@Colinh90 coverage is the same.  Lucky is owned and operated by Bell on their network, and Bell and Telus (which owns and operates Public Mobile on their network) share networks among their subscribers.  If you are seeing coverage differences, it's probaby confirmation bias.

@Colinh90 wrote:

the only thing Public did was give my friends $200 to $600 dollar long distance phone bills during my trial month (June 2019)

@Colinh90 Did you use a temporary phone number with Public Mobile?  Did you pick one that caused long distance to your friends?  I'm not sure how this is Public Mobile's fault.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah I was wondering how a proper comparison between two providers could result in this as well. The friends with the $200-$600 LD bills might be on Lucky as well? I'm not sure in this day and age how anyone racks up a LD bill like that! Even a data overage bill like that would take a lot of failures on the users part. JMHO....

Overage charges for long distance are applied to the caller, not the receiver.  If they racked up overage on Lucky plans, then they have the wrong calling package at lucky.  

There red is nothing that would cause PM to have long distance charges apply to another carriers billing for subscribers calling a PM client.  The receiving phone number must have been long distance for the Lucky subscriber.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Arman wrote:

Telus and Bell using the same towers but they have their own tower and equipment on tower as well. What Bell has more is micro cell in city centers and Malls which makes them a better provider.

I think you misunderstand how network sharing is implemented. Coverage is identical and only the operator who owns the site installs equipment. It is then shared with the partner operator.

Mayor / Maire

@sheytoon wrote:

@Arman wrote:

Telus and Bell using the same towers but they have their own tower and equipment on tower as well. What Bell has more is micro cell in city centers and Malls which makes them a better provider.

I think you misunderstand how network sharing is implemented. Coverage is identical and only the operator who owns the site installs equipment. It is then shared with the partner operator.

@Arman more on this, from @sheytoon :  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/m-p/129092#M420...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

After a lot of research, public mobile is the clear winner with no data overcharges and as long as you're comfortable with the regions and zones PM offer than they're probably the best bet. I've heard that lucky mobile is alright but the data overcharges can be problematic. 

Mayor / Maire

@Bubbly100 wrote:

as long as you're comfortable with the regions and zones PM offer than they're probably the best bet

@Bubbly100 to be clear, PM does not use zones or regions.  Okay technically there is the province-wide talk option but it is only an option, and you can choose Canada-wide instead.  Also, there is NO regions, zones, or province restricitons on any of the texting or data options.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

check out whistleout they have a lot of great info

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

lucky mobile has good plans with nation wide and no zones (they also have zone plans too).  since I switched to Lucky, I've had better reception on transit (SkyTrain tunnels, and busses) and they have a 2gig add-on for 15 bucks a month.  I'm getting nationwide, 10.5gigs of data for 65 a month, my previous plan was 50 and 8.5gigs. public only has 1 gig for 30bucks (add-on), lucky has 500megs for 5 bucks, 1 gig for 10, or 2 gigs for 15.