cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LUCKY MOBILE

H3rnandez
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone ever compared Lucky mobile service vs Public mobile? 

Data /coverage /service? 

55 REPLIES 55

Colinh90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have no clue how I'm getting better service in SkyTrain tunnels then public. I take the SkyTrain to work everyday and it just works flawless for me. public was definitely **bleep**loads better than freedom but it would still go fuzzy inside tunnels. I just haven't experienced anything like that yet. it's just been flawless, service will always conk out with freedom mobile (whether I was in a tunnel or not), freedom mobile and it's crappy Network would get me in trouble at work cuz they thought I was ignoring them when they were trying to contact me. the calls weren't getting through, but I don't have that problem anymore, both public and lucky are very good networks, either is worth having, and both are worth the money

@Colinh90 wrote:

I may sound like I'm advertising for Lucky mobile but I'm not, I could say the same thing about everybody else on here advertising for public. I'm just stating facts about them. and nothing more. I tried public Mobile last month and it failed me in a big way. (gave all of my friends long distance phone bills ranging up to six hundred bucks) plus I didn't like the fact that they didn't have extra data add-ons for a good deal. and the reception in SkyTrain tunnels wasn't as good (I would still lose connection like freedom) but I haven't had that issue yet with my new service.

Public has nothing to do with racking up on LD calls for your friends calling you.  You friends Calling plans are whatever they have.  If the number they are dialing geographically are not in the local calling area they are physical line calling you from, the call IS long distance.  It doesn’t matter if you are standing right beside them, or are on the other side of the country.  Your phone number is based in a call centre.  For example, I have a 226-802 number based in Brantford ON.  If my friend is calling me on a plan WITHOUT long distance minutes in their plan, they can be anywhere in the area of SW Ontario that is considered a local call to Brantford.  If they are in Cambridge ON, a 30 minute drive away, that same call will be a Long Distance call.  If they call me without a LD package on their carrier, they either will not connect, or will pay per use fees to complete the call.

If I am in Vancouver BC on my Brantford phone number, my plan allows me to call anywhere in BC without a charge (province wide calling plan), but I can not call my girlfriend’s number also from Brantford ON without adding first a LD plan as I am on Public Mobile.  If my girlfriend were to call me in BC on my Brantford number,  while she is still at home in Brantford, that call will be considered local, as the receiver doesn’t get charged for LD being away from home, and the dialed call is a local call for the person making the call.

So, in your case, your phone number is based where? Where are your friends numbers based?  Where are you physically located, and where are they physically located when they call you?  Answer these simple questions, and apply what I’ve told you here (again, I’ve done this already this week, and you will see that your friends racked up the charges because their plan doesn’t include calling your number in these cases because this is just how things are done.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

That makes no sense that Skytrain coverage would be any better with Lucky than with PM. They use the same Telus towers.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Colinh90 wrote:

since I switched to Lucky, I've had better reception on transit (SkyTrain tunnels, and busses) and they have a 2gig add-on for 15 bucks a month.  I

@Colinh90 SkyTrain tunnels....yes that would be nice!  Fortunately I get on and off at Granville so it's only Stadium-Granville and just outside Edmunds and Columbia that affect me, and those are brief sections.  Still, very annoying if you're on a call as you know it will drop.  The problem is that Rogers and FM have exclusive agreements to provide coverage in the underground sections of the Expo line, sadly.  Actually initially it was just Rogers, and then FM was added a bit later. 

EDIT: wait, how are you getting better coverage in the SkyTrain tunnels with Lucky??  that is impossible.   It's FM and Rogers (and thus Fido and Chatr) that have coverage down there.  Bell and Telus are identical, particuarly in those tunnels.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Colinh90

I may sound like I'm advertising for Lucky mobile but I'm not, I could say the same thing about everybody else on here advertising for public. I'm just stating facts about them. and nothing more. I tried public Mobile last month and it failed me in a big way. (gave all of my friends long distance phone bills ranging up to six hundred bucks) plus I didn't like the fact that they didn't have extra data add-ons for a good deal. and the reception in SkyTrain tunnels wasn't as good (I would still lose connection like freedom) but I haven't had that issue yet with my new service.

Arman
hold time for me was only about 30 Sec.

Arman
I have two lines with Lucky Mobile and one with PM. That is my point of comparison. Do not bring the bar down. You (we) as a customer should have a reasonable expectation and should be provided by any provider. PM is lacking in this aspect

You cannot have better coverage between Bell and Telus.

From first hand experience, I have not noticed any coverage differences in open or rural areas.

However it looks possible to have better reception with one carrier over another.

I have noticed reception differences between carriers while inside some large city buildings.
Seems to be related to signal strength and concrete walls.

@Arman wrote:

I have both and lucky mobile is much better on coverage, support and responce to issue.

there is also a support phone number (you can talk to human)

I really don't miss waiting on hold to talk to an actual agent, and sometimes waiting again if I need to be trasferred over to another department.

@Luddite wrote:

@Colinh90 wrote:

lucky mobile has good plans with nation wide and no zones (they also have zone plans too).  since I switched to Lucky, I've had better reception on transit (SkyTrain tunnels, and busses) and they have a 2gig add-on for 15 bucks a month.  I'm getting nationwide, 10.5gigs of data for 65 a month, my previous plan was 50 and 8.5gigs. public only has 1 gig for 30bucks (add-on), lucky has 500megs for 5 bucks, 1 gig for 10, or 2 gigs for 15.

It's a bit of a hassle but renewing PM 8.5 GB plan early to average 10.5 GB would cost $61.76. Robot LOL

@Luddite, I really like your math! Smiley Happy

@Luddite wrote:

@Colinh90 wrote:

lucky mobile has good plans with nation wide and no zones (they also have zone plans too).  since I switched to Lucky, I've had better reception on transit (SkyTrain tunnels, and busses) and they have a 2gig add-on for 15 bucks a month.  I'm getting nationwide, 10.5gigs of data for 65 a month, my previous plan was 50 and 8.5gigs. public only has 1 gig for 30bucks (add-on), lucky has 500megs for 5 bucks, 1 gig for 10, or 2 gigs for 15.

It's a bit of a hassle but renewing PM 8.5 GB plan early to average 10.5 GB would cost $61.76. Robot LOL

So you renew early often?

@Colinh90 wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mh1983 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Arman wrote:
another advantage of Lucky Mobile , you can call tech support and get your issue fixed and your questions answered in less than 5 minutes. Instead of sending email, ask community or asking moderators which has no power and knowledge of the system. (This is an old style of support)

I don't agree with the current Public Mobile's support system what so ever, it needs a huge over haul if there is no Call Center support but I can still get more things done at Public Mobile's Current support system although it will take time sending messages back & fourth, in comparison to calling Lucky Mobile because those poor outsourced Reps at Lucky have no Authority to do anything. The only thing they say oh I understand your frustration sir but there is nothing I can do for you. Oh I truly apologize. This and that. 

The only weakness of the Public Mobile support system is the tolerance for 48 hour typical response time.  Back in the day, typical response times were within an hour or two, even faster on weekends.

And the slightly "shaky ground" of the infrastructure for account management. Self Serve can take a painfully long time to load. 

Agreed Public Mobile Self Service can be slow but you obviously haven't used Lucky Mobile's Self serve. PM self serve allows you to do almost every thing including being able to change your name on the Account where Lucky's self serve you can barely do anything but it works. 

mh1983

@will13am wrote:

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Arman wrote:
another advantage of Lucky Mobile , you can call tech support and get your issue fixed and your questions answered in less than 5 minutes. Instead of sending email, ask community or asking moderators which has no power and knowledge of the system. (This is an old style of support)

I don't agree with the current Public Mobile's support system what so ever, it needs a huge over haul if there is no Call Center support but I can still get more things done at Public Mobile's Current support system although it will take time sending messages back & fourth, in comparison to calling Lucky Mobile because those poor outsourced Reps at Lucky have no Authority to do anything. The only thing they say oh I understand your frustration sir but there is nothing I can do for you. Oh I truly apologize. This and that. 

The only weakness of the Public Mobile support system is the tolerance for 48 hour typical response time.  Back in the day, typical response times were within an hour or two, even faster on weekends.

And the slightly "shaky ground" of the infrastructure for account management. Self Serve can take a painfully long time to load. 

chukdefatey

@Colinh90 wrote:

lucky mobile has good plans with nation wide and no zones (they also have zone plans too).  

Where are you getting your information from? Lucky Mobile doesn't have any current Zoned Plans

@chukdefatey wrote:

@Arman wrote:

chukdefatey

@Bubbly100 wrote:

After a lot of research, public mobile is the clear winner with no data overcharges and as long as you're comfortable with the regions and zones PM offer than they're probably the best bet. I've heard that lucky mobile is alright but the data overcharges can be problematic. 

Who is your Source of information? Because your Research is not correct. Public Mobile doesn't have Zones nor did they ever.  There are no overages of any sort at Lucky Mobile. 

chukdefatey

@stonechucker wrote:

Overage charges for long distance are applied to the caller, not the receiver.  If they racked up overage on Lucky plans, then they have the wrong calling package at lucky.  

There red is nothing that would cause PM to have long distance charges apply to another carriers billing for subscribers calling a PM client.  The receiving phone number must have been long distance for the Lucky subscriber.

Just like Public Mobile Lucky also doesn't have any Long distance or any sort of overages so the poster is Full of it. 

chukdefatey

@Colinh90 wrote:

2 gigs of data for 15 bucks , 1gig for 10, or 500mgs for 5. im with lucky. 

Yeah these add ons are very cheap compared to Public Mobile over priced add ons but at Public it stays on your account till used up and you get full LTE speeds. 

chukdefatey

@Arman wrote:

chukdefatey

@Colinh90 wrote:

2 gigs of data for 15 bucks , 1gig for 10, or 500mgs for 5. im with lucky. 

Public Mobile's Data add ons are very very expensive in comparison to Lucky but with Public it stays on your account till used up and you get full LTE speeds where with Lucky it expires every month and is also limited to 3Mbps LTE

chukdefatey

@Colinh90 wrote:

I've tried both but stayed with Lucky, it has better coverage, and better support. the only thing Public did was give my friends $200 to $600 dollar long distance phone bills during my trial month (June 2019)

LoL, At Public or even Lucky there are no overages, pay per use or any charges what so ever. So you are Full of it. 

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Arman sounds like you should try them I did and I'm here maybe you should see first hand how great they areSmiley Indifferent

Arman

Arman
Comparing two service providers and also asking if PM can stand up and match their services with others

@Colinh90 as mentioned numerous times, you can't have better coverage when the radio transmitters and antennas are shared.

You sound like you're advertising Lucky Mobile.

Colinh90

has4408
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

check out whistleout they have a lot of great info

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bubbly100 wrote:

as long as you're comfortable with the regions and zones PM offer than they're probably the best bet

@Bubbly100 to be clear, PM does not use zones or regions.  Okay technically there is the province-wide talk option but it is only an option, and you can choose Canada-wide instead.  Also, there is NO regions, zones, or province restricitons on any of the texting or data options.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Bubbly100

After a lot of research, public mobile is the clear winner with no data overcharges and as long as you're comfortable with the regions and zones PM offer than they're probably the best bet. I've heard that lucky mobile is alright but the data overcharges can be problematic. 

Need Help? Let's chat.